Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work this morning I hit a gigantic dog in my Tiburon. Was gonna bring the X today but I dropped it off at my buddies shop last night so I can put on my new VH Bigshots which came in yesterday. Was gonna put em on last night but the old pipes were too hot and we didn't want to wait for them to cool off, seeing that it was after 7pm and we both had to be at work this morning. I'm a paramedic and have worked countless bike crashes and if I had been on the X I know it would have been bad, so remember y'all, someone is watching out for you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, he is dog dead. He looked to be a rot or something close to that size. He ran into me from the shoulder and was he moving. All I saw was a blurr then the impact. Got poop on the front and rear fenders and there is hair in the weight in the rear tire.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There you go, loud pipes saves lives, and they weren't even installed yet.
Now that's protection.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are alright.

I remember back in '82 as a 16 year old when I had my first Honda, an MB5, I took the MSF course and they taught us to run straight over any small animals, I would hope I would have an 'out' available to swerve if I was on a path of intersection with a large animal. I also know it is my responsibiltiy to allow enough space for an out, just in case something as unexpected as what happened to you happens to me, on a motorcycle, as I'm sure you would have done, had you been on your X
Here in western Massachusetts a car hit a Moose on the Mass Pike a few months ago, and it was fatal to the driver.

You speak the truth about someone watching out for us, I did some crazy stuff as a teenager on sport bikes... and I'm just grateful I'm alive today to be a 40 year old riding around on my VTX.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been riding for many years and had to take the MSF course last year so that I could bring my X onto the military instalation where I currently work ( I took the advanced course). Was working as a full time street medic and this Department of Defense job came up and I jumped at it. Off everynight and weekends was a no brainer compared to the schedule that I worked on the streets (some weeks over 120hrs, now just 40) I still work the streets on Friday nights for fun and I believe that if I had been on my X I might have been able to manuever and avoid the dog due to the experience and the MSF course. Either way, I would have been really mad if it had hurt the X. I suggest to everyone to take a course, no matter how long you have been riding. They have some really good tips and it also helped on my insurance.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sounds like he hit your Tiburon on the side? Good thing as I had a large rabbit come directly under the hood, took out the ground effects and the front grill under the bumper and broke some support pieces, those things were not made to dice rabbits, dogs and other heavy duty stuff.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah he got me on the pasenger side front fender. Looks like I will be able to fix it myself. Broke the fog light lens, plastic ground effect on front bumper, some brackets and the windshield washer resevoir. I was going at least 70 and I think he was going at least 50. Not gonna claim it on insurance cause in my infinite wisdom raised my deduct to 1000 to save money. :oops:

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have comprehensive coverage, check that deductible. It is usually lower than your collision deductible and this is they type of claim that falls under it. It will not effect your rates (it can't) because it is an due to an act of nature or some stuff like that. I have had two deer hit me on two different occasions and had over $6,000 in hail damage. All three only cost me $50 each because that is my comprehensive dedctible. It is made to cover fire/water/nature and stuff like that. It's worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've just about had it with these idiot dog owners who let these things run around loose all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly hit one on the bike or had one chasing along beside me trying to bite the front tire. VERY irritating that these morons can't seem to get it through their heads to keep their dogs under control. I actually had one jackazz tell me "Dog's aren't meant to be chained up...they need to run free" when I told him he needed to keep his mutt out of the road. Face it...it ain't the dogs fault...it's just a animal that don't know any better. The real problem is owners who are too stupid to keep their pets out of harms way and out of the way of traffic.

I actually had one the other night that I had to hit with the car to get it to move. It was apparently an old shaggy mutt that was probably deaf anyway. I was in my cage and headed down a country road on a dark moonless night. I saw him standing in the middle of the road (about the size of a German Shepard) so I slowed way down and honked. He didn't move. In fact, he didn't even look at me. I slowly rolled right up to him, honking again, and he still didn't budge. I had to actually nudge the dumb thing with my front bumper before he finally decided to move out of the road. Did the owner even stick his head outside to see what was going on? Nope. My guess is that dog will be dead alongside the road inside of a week.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Preacher said:
Sounds like he hit your Tiburon on the side? Good thing as I had a large rabbit come directly under the hood, took out the ground effects and the front grill under the bumper and broke some support pieces, those things were not made to dice rabbits, dogs and other heavy duty stuff.
That was some killer bunny. Sounds like a Jackalope from Wyoming to me

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will call my insurance co and see, appreciate the tip. As far as the dog, I can't blame him, he was doing what dogs do, now the owner is a different story. If I could have figured out who the dog belonged to I would make him pay, and give him a piece of my mind. If people can't or won't control their pets, they shouldn't have them. Being in a cage is one thing, but when you are one two wheels, it ups the ante.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Thats too bad about your truck and that dog...but, as is almost always the case, it could have been worse. Had a friend killed riding home on his HD last summer in the evening; hit a deer that had darted out in front of him. Friend killed, deer killed, bike totalled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts