Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do lots of touring and Iron Butts. As such I have been foaming at the mouth to get a Zumo GPS. As luck would have it I got one for Christmas from my family.

Now the bad news. I am a reasonably intelligent person but I swear I cant figure anything out on it. I just want to throw the thing down and smash it. The instructions are poor and for me the instillation is not intuitive.

Genius IQ but I cant even run a GPS :) Are there any support groups for the intellectually challenged among us?

R. Todd

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've been looking for a GPS for the car. Really need it where I'm at. That being said, I saw the instructional booklet "GPS for dummies" on the net. I'm sure they're in the bookstores there also.

Never read it, but it might be a pretty good investment. Good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can send it to me. I'll write you a personalized instruction book. Probably would only take two to three years. But on the other hand it would be free. :joke:

Let me know.
John

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do lots of touring and Iron Butts. As such I have been foaming at the mouth to get a Zumo GPS. As luck would have it I got one for Christmas from my family.

Now the bad news. I am a reasonably intelligent person but I swear I cant figure anything out on it. I just want to throw the thing down and smash it. The instructions are poor and for me the instillation is not intuitive.

Genius IQ but I cant even run a GPS :) Are there any support groups for the intellectually challenged among us?

R. Todd
Wish you were closer to the 'boro, Brother. We could work it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Todd! Merry Christmas! Wish I could help with the GPS, but I have tried to figure them out myself with no luck.

Hope all is well. Tell the wife I said hello.

Boggs

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

R. Todd
Good choice on the GPS.
Like anything else that's new. It takes a little learning. But it will come fast enough once you get started.

I got the Zumo 550 a year ago and I joined this forum.
http://www.zumoforums.com/ Very helpful friendly people here and they know everything about the Zumo. Just sign up same as VTXOA.
Your going to love that Zumo once you get onto it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The hardest part is learning how to use the map source software. After that, it's a breeze. The Zumo is great.

I've been on several road trips with the Zumo. Can't beat it.

And remember, there is NO way to "reverse" your route. I used to do that with my Quest..... what a surprise......

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
step on it and smash it! thats what maps are for and flying by the seat of your pants is for....have fun with it. i remember pulling up on a friend 2 summers ago after lunch since the pack went different ways. he was fiddeling with his GPS...go figure he was lost with GPS.

G

·
I have GPS on my Samsung Instinct cell phone, and it is really great...easy to use, and it gives audio directions as well as visual. I've only used it a few times, but found it to be very accurate.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
i have a garmin and it was easy once i sit down and worked with a while , we have a lot of GPS riders in our group I am sure someone could help

·
Registered
34 Posts
As Trackman said, visit Zumo Forums...if they don't know it, good luck. Most of the problems/bugs that do show up, Garmin isn't aware of half of the time.

They have a some great tutorials on how to use Mapquest and the different features of the Zumo.

Enjoy your Zumo, it's a great addition when all you wanna do is ride until your lost, and then you want food and need fuel for the bike and have no idea where to go.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
As Trackman said, visit Zumo Forums...if they don't know it, good luck. Most of the problems/bugs that do show up, Garmin isn't aware of half of the time.

They have a some great tutorials on how to use Mapquest and the different features of the Zumo.

Enjoy your Zumo, it's a great addition when all you wanna do is ride until your lost, and then you want food and need fuel for the bike and have no idea where to go.
Ditto that.......
I spent quite some time sitting in front of my computer trying to figure the darn thing out. I was even having some difficulty in figuring out how I was supposed to charge the thing.

Go to the forum and start surching. You'll find a ton of info that you'll need to get you going. AND don't forget to load up a ton of songs, thiese things are great MP3 players too.:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
And Yes People get lost using a GPS. Have Fun With it Discover Roads you didn't know. For One thing if you ride alot of back country in your state get the TOPO loaded as it gives you the smaller back roads where the Pre-Loaded stuff is major roads and streets. Course Us Guys like being Lost anyway.

OldSalt:grin:

·
Registered
258 Posts
if you cant figure it out:dontknow:, your other option is go to Best Buy or another place that sells them and ask a salesperson for help.I really enjoy mine. :doorag:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
I agree, it took me a few days to figure out how to use the software, then how to save a map, and then to download the saved map to the unit. But, once I did it has been great. Just take your time, if you get mad, I did too, take a break and go back to it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Back when I was in the Air Force, we still used a sextant shooting the sun and stars, must say the GPS has been a piece of cake for me. However, I'm pretty dumb on the rest of the electronics in this world.
Just stick with it, one day you'll be able to say, I've never been lost, just temporarily disorientated.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you have figured out how to charge it, just start pressing buttons, Menu is your friend, after that just follow the basic prompts to input a destination. Once you are comfortable with that, you can move on to more advanced capabilities of the Zumo.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great responses.
thanks.

I give though. How do you charge it. Will it charge through the USB cable automatically when off the bike?

R. Todd

·
Registered
223 Posts

R. Todd
What you need sir is a 6 year old to show you how to use it.
Train

1 - 20 of 32 Posts