Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a drip of Super Glue fall onto tank. I took my finger and removed most of it however still left a film.

What is the best way to remove this?

I tried nail polish remover, NO,

I tried Goof Off, NO

I tried over cleaner NO

Now i have NO idea.

Help.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Joe, most hobby shops sell a super glue or instant glue spray remover for just that sort of thing...................well, more for gluing your fingers together.

Be careful though, I would try the solvent on one of your spare side covers, or somewhere beneath the tank first..............

Show

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glue Removal

Show

Thanks will look for that ..

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you wait long enough it may fall off on its own :shock:

I've never had much luck getting super glue to last long. I have come to the conclusion that it is really only good for glueing hard hats to I-beams like they do in the commercials. The only other practical use for it is to hold to parts together long enough for the epoxy to set!

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
We sell Loctite products here,and the best instant adhesive money can buy is Prism 454 gel...PRISM 454 is a clear gel adhesive, ideal for porous substrates. As a surface insensitive Prism cyanoacrylate, it is ideal for difficult to bond substrates, including rough, porous and acidic surfaces. Fills gaps up to .010".
This stuff holds everything from tennis shoes to steel..I glued a broken handle on a ceramic coffee cup 2 years ago,and it is still holding,even after washing over and over in hot water..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super Glue Removal

I'm not looking to glue something,,,Looking to remove glue...please read the post again.

Anyways thanks on the tip JD concerning the 2000 grit sand paper ...it worked great and cant even tell I had anything there..

Just use water and polish afterwards looks super..

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Re: Super Glue Removal

Joe said:
I'm not looking to glue something,,,Looking to remove glue...please read the post again.
Anyways thanks on the tip JD concerning the 2000 grit sand paper ...it worked great and cant even tell I had anything there..

Just use water and polish afterwards looks super..
I read the post,but was just responding to the post above mine...Not trying to hijack your thread.... :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
JD9613 had a great solution by sanding and polishing,but if you don't want to sand,then try this debonder
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/De ... dID=NHP210

I have been building giant scale rc planes for years and always keep debonder on hand.You should appy a small amount and then massage it in.Do this a few times and you will see it start to soften up enough to where you can wipe it away.You will probably have to still do soame polishing

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The acetone in the nail polish remover will remove the glue but, it will dull the clearcoat and look like the glue is still there. Use a fine polishing compound, or polish wax and elbow grease to make it shiny again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts