Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Garmin Nuvi

Well, I have the Nuvi 360 and I like it. Portable,touch screen, easy to use. Have had it for 2-3 years and have done one maps download (upgrade for $70 as I recall.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got the garmin 450 Zumo. Had it for two years. Use it on the bike and in the car. Easy to use, and easy to read on the bike. Doc

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dad has a Nuvi 200 I believe and loves it for the truck, we used it when I moved to boston and saved our asses numberous times. Has a wide screen display and easy to use. I just got a Nuvi as well, smaller screen but lookes like it will be good. Garmin and Tom Tom are the brands most of my friends have, nothing but good things though none of them are bikers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Garmin 2370. Discontinued but a great unit. Has MP3, XM radio and is built for a bike. Waterproof, shock proof. Can be had for less than $200. referbusihed.

Tom

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
If money is no object, get a Zumo 550 (around $650)
The Zumo 450's are at a nice price recently @ 360 (can be found under 300):
Zumo450

If your on a budget, a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 , 2730 , or 2820 are all awesome choices. Virtually indestructible and waterproof, they are excellent navigation units for a bike. You can create routes on the computer and download them to the gps with these units.
2610 is basic navigation
2730 adds mp3 and XM radio
2820 adds mp3, XM radio, and bluetooth
(ebay antenna for 100 if you don't want XM). ;)

Get a 2gb card for the 2610 and you can fit the entire USA and Canada in detail
(only the 2610 needs a card, the rest have internal memory)
2GB CF card

The downside with the 26XX, 27XX, and 28XX units are they are a little bulky and have no internal battery. Doesn't really matter to me as it stays either with the bike or in the car. I don't walk around with it.
IMO - either the 2820 or the 2730 (320 and 199 respectively) bundled with gxm30 is one of the hottest deals around at the moment.

Garmin should send you a map update if you purchase a new or refurb unit. I have actually just requested the newest mapset (Mapsource 2009) on my 3 yr. old 2610 and they are sending one at no charge. :thumbup:

As you can see, it really depends on what you want. MP3, bluetooth, internal battery, XM radio, physical size, etc...There is something for every budget.
One feature I will highly recommend is the ability to create routes and download them to the GPS. Any unit will get you from point A to B - but on a bike, you more often than not want to take a specific route or roads, not every GPS allows you to do that. All of the above mentioned units will do that, and all are rugged and waterproof.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Ive got a nuvi 250W no bells and whistles but a good unit, I keep an extra cradle in the truck, if I had a do over I would do as Poison has suggested many times and get one that you can download routes to, thats the only bells and whistles I would need. good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I've got a Garmin c330 (ancient by today's standards, and I bought it two years ago!)

I'd have to echo TennX and Poison's suggestions on the custom routes. My next GPS will have that -- rather than just put in your destination and follow the "quickest" way there from the software, YOU can plan the trip ahead of time turn by turn and basically just have it tell you where to turn! VERY nice feature!

I know that the ZUMOs do that, as well as the Nuvi 7xx series.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Garmin Zumo 550 is what I have. LOVE it! :thumbup:

The "bike 'friendly" features and total water resistance is what sold me.

You can go cheaper. But if you rely on your GPS to get places, sometimes going cheaper can hose ya.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As mentioned by the others on here, don't just go by the price.
In my use, I found the most important feature is the ability to load your own routes and waypoints so you can travel the roads you want to instead of what the device thinks is the best/fastest route.
Mine doesn't have that and I've worked out some work arounds, but being able to go to a site, such as the HD mapping site, hand draw your route, then d/l it directly to the device is a major reason to even have one on a bike.
IMO.
Cheers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the 205 Garmin Nuvi. Great unit at a great price. A freezer sandwich plastic bag and two rubber bands make it "waterproof". I easily swap it from bike to truck.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tanks for reply . Mi first choice was waterproof like Zumo 550 but it cost :yikes: 869$cnd plus taxe and second choise was NUVI 760 cost 349$ so 520$ cheaper :popcorn: . So 10% buy not water resistance so i go for NUVI 760 and save 520$ :cool: .

·
Registered
381 Posts
The garmin 450 is waterproof and glove friendly. Doc

·
Registered
381 Posts
When the wife got mine for me, she found it on e-bay after christmas and paid around $250. Doc

·
Registered
314 Posts
Santa brought me the Zumo 450. Love it. Glove friendly, water proof and MC features.
Plus $350 from Costco shipped with RAM mount.
Strongly recommend it over the 550 unless you want XM radio and bluetooth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts