Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Kind of GPS system do you use on your bike? How does it tell your speed (or does it)? Do only certain brands or models tell speed? I am thinking of getting one, so just need some thoughts...

Thanks in advance... :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
cbrushwood said:
What Kind of GPS system do you use on your bike? How does it tell your speed (or does it)? Do only certain brands or models tell speed? I am thinking of getting one, so just need some thoughts...

As far as I know, they all tell speed. They do so in the same way that they tell where you are, they just track your movement from point to point and calculate your speed that way. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend which is a very nice unit, but if I had it to do over, I think I'd opt for one with a nicer (easier to see) screen. More memory would be a plus too. Tons of deals on them on ebay. Go to Garmin's website http://www.garmin.com and compare features. When you think you've found the one you like, start shopping online.
My $.02,

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hey Blade - I posted the pic of your SPIII before you did....nah nah - Nah Nah - Boo Boo! :lol:

Seriously - this is Blade's Garmin Street Pilot III with RAM Mounts. I use a Garmin 2610 which is just the next generation also with RAM mounting system as do a number of others here. The new generation of Garmin GPS's have just been released, but I think this time, I sticking with my 2610 and if you're the market...the prices are starting to drop on it as the new models are out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
cbrushwood said:

Thanks in advance... :lol:
I use a Garmin GPS V (5).
Lot of guys use the 2610 which is expensive. I did a product comparision and the GPS V against the 2610 and they are close to the same in function. I only had to pay less than 200 bucks on ebay for mine and I can tell you it will tell you everything you need to know. Gives turn by turn to about anyplace you would want to go. Tells you speed, trip meter, odometer and much more. I just could not think of 500 dollars or more when I got this for less and it does most everything the other does. I know there are differences but nothing worth that much more imho.
Won't trash anyone for getting a better unit but just didn't think I would need anymore than what I got, and I am well pleased with it. My son also bought one at the same time and he loves his too.
I had the cheaper units but I wanted one that would give me turn by turn directions to anywhere you want to go.
Hope this helps because when you start looking it can get real confusing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an ex-boater I've had a chance to work with several different GPS. I have always found Garmin to be one of the better companies. I use a StreetPilot 2610, the only thing I don't like about it is there is no power unless you have it plugged into external power.

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm happy with a Magellan Meridian Gold. Water proof, works with 12VDC or battery, lasts a day on two AA bats. The software is what makes the GPS really cool. Only Magellan makes it and it is about $120, but gives you every road in the US and does street route planning and gives you directions when you're traveling. Small enough to carry anywhere. If you're interested in a pic, let me know and I'll either try to post or email.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=90

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Garmin Rino 130 and I love it! Tells speed (Like someone said, I think they all do). Whatever you get, spend the extra cash for the mapping feature and the software. you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
GA Rainman said:
Hey Blade - I posted the pic of your SPIII before you did....nah nah - Nah Nah - Boo Boo! :lol:
My GAWD you are SO on top of things. I just saw this thread and said to myself, "Mike -- go find your picture again..." then WHAM! Don't I get like royalties or sumptin'.....? :wink:

Anyway, cbrushwood -- what HE (GA Rainman) says. He's pretty much the King of the GPS around here (and provides this forum with lots of great info under this or his old GeorgiaVTXXX name)! I would only independently add that it would behoove you to do a little more research; there's lots of GPS unit competition now that it is a wide-open consumer item and the prices have reflected this. However, please know that you CAN'T go wrong with the Garmin brand. They are absolutely first rate.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I, too, use the Meridian Gold. For the money, it gets me where I want to go and does all the good stuff like speed, altitude, distance, etc.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I now have a Garmin 2610. I believe the main advantage it has over the older Garmins is the touch-screen Windows-style menus, processor speed, and recalculation time. One of the problems that I saw with the StreetPilot III was that if you missed a turn, by the time it recalculated a route, sometimes you had already passed the newly calculated turn-0ff, thus another recalc, etc., so sometimes you had to stop and wait for it to recalc. Except for that, it's a good system.

I've never seen a GPS system that didn't display speed. (This is my third system.)

Eddie

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have an etrex vista and the basic yellow etrex, had a legend as well. I really like the etrex line, especially the vista with mapping, altimeter, electronic compass, etc.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
eddiecohen said:
I now have a Garmin 2610. I believe the main advantage it has over the older Garmins is the touch-screen Windows-style menus, processor speed, and recalculation time. One of the problems that I saw with the StreetPilot III was that if you missed a turn, by the time it recalculated a route, sometimes you had already passed the newly calculated turn-0ff, thus another recalc, etc., so sometimes you had to stop and wait for it to recalc. Except for that, it's a good system.

I've never seen a GPS system that didn't display speed. (This is my third system.)

Eddie
Yes, I'm going to have to agree with Eddie and Blade here. The SPIII is a great unit - I had one for two years. I loved that old thing and only sold it to pay for my new 2610. A couple of notes however that we've hashed and rehashed before, but probably not everyone has read. MAKE SURE that whatever unit you buy - you get a memory card with it and NOT a Microdrive. A Microdrive is essentially a miniature hard drive. They don't like shock or vibration. They may work for a while, but it WILL fail at some point due to the vibration of being on a bike.

Also, READ THE MANUAL. When I first bought a GPS (my SPIII) I had it for nearly a year and was really wondering what all the hoopla was about. I never even picked up the book on it. I just stuck it in my car and was not all that impressed. It didn't have any of the smaller backroads on it that I usually traveled. It wasn't until I got the book out and started reading that I figured out that I was supposed to pick out the particular area I was in and upload the detail maps to the GPS. That made all the difference in the world.

I liked the old SPIII and really thought it was a great unit. However, as Eddie mentioned, it has a few week areas which the 2600 series pretty much addressed and fixed. Another thing I love about the 2610 is that it comes with an infrared remote so you can stand back a little and just punch in what you want. Add to that, the touch screen and the MUCH faster processor and you've got an unbeatable unit.

I've not seen one of the newest C series flagship models, but I guess they've gone to 3D "flying" maps. If one of ya'll want to buy me one, I'll test it, evaluate it and let ya know what I think of it. :lol:

By the way - thanks Blade for the compliment. I just enjoy messing with this technology. Maps and navigation are kind of a hobby of mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts