Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, has anyone actually seen this?
Michael Moore Presents: Planet of the Humans | Full Documentary | Directed by Jeff Gibbs

So what is up with this guy? He plays both sides of the field. You gotta keep your eyes on this one, he just chases the cash. Like some sort of documentary paparazzi.

I'm seeing a lot of what I've been saying, and many others here as well, with regards to green energy, and that is to follow the cash. It isn't so green. It's a ruse. But now I'm not sure what I can believe anymore. It's the far left, calling out the left. Are they seeing the light, or are they capitalizing on what the right has been saying all along? Is this just wagon hopping?

I do like that this is intended to expose current green technologies as not being at all a progression, I'm not sure I like who it's coming from though.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The only green energy is from Green Lantern's ring and power battery.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
green energy = sun power... so it does not work for us .. " Leaves ", algae
solar and wind..... not cheap or small.

converting energy take more energy to convert.... no win.

my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

my opinion.
"no win" is key in your statement. It appears your opinion may be more fact than just opinion.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

my opinion.
???
Seems like hydro is pretty effective.
Windmills have been cranking out power for many hundreds of years.
Given that sunshine is free, you can certainly come out ahead if photovoltaic prices keep falling.
So, the real question becomes can the energy output be high enough to provide a return on the capital it takes to fund the generation? And for those of us who focus on economics, can this revenue be produced on its own merit, without subsidies from taxpayers?

I believe the answers are specific to the project being evaluated.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
water dams... for hydro.

increase of earth quakes.. weight ( water and concrete )
altering the local environment
altering or killing of all life forms in said rivers.
also "silt" collecting at base of dam. aka dead zone.

I have been to several hydro operations.. even inside one.

they work well.. but GREEN.?

wind turbines. many here in south Texas.. thousands..
many birds are killed from the spinning blades...
noise disturbs insects.. so the farms they sit on , food production is reduced.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
wind turbines. many here in south Texas.. thousands..
many birds are killed from the spinning blades...
noise disturbs insects.. so the farms they sit on , food production is reduced.

View attachment 172684
The potential impact on food production is a new one to me. Thanks, I had not heard that. Certainly the bird kills are a known fact. My understanding (which may well be out of date) is that the initial cost of the towers, blades and generators and installation was so high that without significant tax subsidies, wind generation isn’t remotely cost effective.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Serviceable life of wind turbines is 20-25 years. What then? Do they make enough energy to offset the costs of construction, and then later replacement? Methinks not.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serviceable life of wind turbines is 20-25 years. What then? Do they make enough energy to offset the costs of construction, and then later replacement? Methinks not.
According to many out there, they do not. Concrete is incredibly dirty. The energy required to make concrete is CO2 producing and quite extensive. The amount of concrete and steel that goes into a wind tower that lasts, at best 20 - 25 years before it must be totally rebuilt, with much of the discarded material totally not recyclable, makes the entire proposition of wind power very questionable. Solar cells have a life span of 10 years, with reduced efficiency cumulative from day 1. The manufacture of solar cells is incredibly dirty, from a CO2 emissions standpoint, and the actual amount of energy produced is not nearly what they would have us believe. That and once the solar cells are spent, little of it is recyclable, and ends up as landfill. All of this makes the technology we currently have and call "green" not so green, and when backup power generation is taken into account, ends up a total bust, as far as "green" goes.

Yes, wind and sunshine are free, but to harness the energy is not. Both wind and sunshine are notoriously unreliable and will always require some form of backup.

I think you are right, Rangers, and cost isn't the only thing that doesn't work for "green" energy. Follow the money, and then tell me it's not about free cash.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have replaced several sets of solar driveway marker or landscaping light sets. If they last more than 2 years you're lucky. Plus the rechargeable batteries are expensive as hell. 120v low-wattage LED's are a much better value and should last a LOT longer. I like these on one end of my driveway. More intensive to install, as I ran the cord inside PVC pipe and buried a couple inches deep under the soil. The cost of the PVC is nearly the cost of the light set.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
a little fact, wind turbines..

down here...... they are transported up from Mexico...

we see the transport trucks regularly ...
one blade per truck rig, x3
one for the generator hub
4 truck rigs for the tower..
1589467348715.png

wind turbine land fill

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Before they moved the factory and workers elsewhere maybe 10 years ago, GAMESA , a Spain company, had a factory right down the street from where I worked in Ebensburg, Pa. These same type rigs went by several times a day. Quite a sight. The rear of the rigs had its own steerable component, much like a hook-n-ladder truck. Only much much bigger.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I agree; that was an interesting read. Totally unlike any genuine analysis I’ve ever read, but still interesting. Having ignored the concrete foundation is a major gap, but at least the author was upfront about it. And although it’s strange to see personal pronouns used so often in a technical treatise, I can overlook that as just a quirck. But did anyone else identify the biggest, most glaring omission in this “green”-promotion propaganda?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Another thing to consider in total costs per windmill: At least in my township, where we have maybe 3 dozen along the ridgetops, they paid $5K per unit , one time, for allowing the Twp. to have them. Most small, struggling civic groups jump at the chance for a windfall like this w/o considering the consequences.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Will not allow my eyes & ears to take in anything he is connected with PERIOD

1 - 20 of 40 Posts