Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so here's a question for you guys. I have an 04 1300s with the stock floorboards (fairly certain anyway) and am planning on practicing low speed floorboard grinding turns and such to improve my riding abilities. but I noticed that the stock boards don't have a spot for a bolt to grind away like the C model's footpegs do.

is there an attachment or something to add to the bottom? there seem to be no screw holes in the right locations.

so, grinders... anyone have an answer for me?

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Nope and if you add anything to them they will really scrape.
I put screws down threw the board stops to rais them up a little and they don't scrape as much. Just the thickness of the screw heds is all that is needed.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wanting to scrape the boards??? Sounds like you shouldve gotten a crotch rocket. I lnow I say to improve your riding abilities but really?? You would rarely ever need to scrape the boards at low speed.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I scrape my boards all the time at low speeds. Being able to control the bike at low speed is awsome. Less likely to drop it when you have to do it very good to practice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's not so much that I want to scrape boards, but I want to get to the level of being able to do u-turns on a dime and not have the piss startled out of me whenever i start scraping. I want to be able to laugh in the face of the licensing offices' figure 8 box.

maybe i'm just jealous of my LEO friend pulling lock turns in the parking lots where I barely have room to park a car let alone turn around in.

so then, do you guys have any suggestions for exercises to improve low speed maneuvers? u-turns, parking lot navigation etc..? I have cones and such but I don't know what realistic expectations about turning circles and such are for a VTX.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Go to large parking lot and practice to tighten up your turns, You should be able to turn inside of 2 parking lot stalls. Don't quote me because I have never measured but I can do a u-turn inside of 1 1/2 stalls.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Put a couple of titanium rods on the bottom of the boards! Sam has those and it's pretty cool! I have a video called ride like a Pro if your interested in barrowing it for a week or two. That will help you out with your request.

Scott

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Ride Like a Pro videos, or even better one of their classes are your ticket to happiness here. There is no reason to accept poor low speed handling on a VTX as normal. These things will turn like most people won't believe if you know what you are doing. The short version of the technique is to slip the clutch (friction zone) and use the rear break to control speed and turn to full lock and lean till the pegs drag. Turning your head and forcing your eyes to go where you want the bike to is the toughest thing but you have to learn it. Turning a 1800 around inside of 2 parking spaces width is plenty doable, when you can do that it makes parking lot handling a lot more comfortable...and it makes you look good too:doorag:

Practice U turns first, shoot for 3 parking spaces width and work your way down. Figure 8s are great too to force you to practice turning both right and left. Sit a cone somewhere and keep working your circle down until your pegs drag for most of the turn going both ways. That is pretty much your handling limit for this kind of low speed riding.

You will probably drop your bike a time or two learning this stuff, if you are pushing it you will eventually. If you have highway bars, wrapping some pipe insulation around them is a good idea.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I definitely want to get some bars but with my finances the way they are at the moment, that ain't happening for a while.

where would i find a couple of these titanium rods as well?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't see a problem with learning how to handle you're bike at any speed ;) You never know when you'll need the skill, and when you do need it, there's usually a bit of pucker factor in the pants.

Normally there is a bit of a bump on the back of the boards to prevent the rest from scraping. I'm looking at getting some zinc block to put on mine now, shoot some white sparks out.

·
Registered
31,156 Posts
I don't see a problem with learning how to handle you're bike at any speed ;) You never know when you'll need the skill, and when you do need it, there's usually a bit of pucker factor in the pants.

Normally there is a bit of a bump on the back of the boards to prevent the rest from scraping. I'm looking at getting some zinc block to put on mine now, shoot some white sparks out.
I've worn mine down flat also.We were told in the Rider's course to drag them on purpose, so if we had to maneuver and they scraped we wouldn't be startled.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've worn mine down flat also.We were told in the Rider's course to drag them on purpose, so if we had to maneuver and they scraped we wouldn't be startled.

Sure as hell scares the ol' lady first time every year :lol:

Oh yeah, once you get used to scraping solo, and taken you have a GOOD rider, you can maneuver like that while riding 2 up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can generally scrape around the neighborhood but I am also looking to start learning some slow maneuvering. Never know when you might need it. However, I'm not fond of the idea of dropping my bike a time or two while doing it ... may just have to wait for crash bars or just not be very aggressive lol.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just remember, if you ever feel like you're about to go over, just pull right out of the turn. One recommendation I have is to start off in a big circle, and slowly get tighter and tighter. You may get a little dizzy so take some brakes. You'll find these bikes can lean over pretty damn far!

·
Registered
246 Posts
There ain't enough curvys in the country to hurt them boards! Scraped mine for over 50k until the bike got so low through suspension mods that I now scrape the frame! A little less forgiving I 'spose but weight shifting gets me out of scrapes (so to speak). 80k and counting!
Socks

·
Registered
797 Posts
drill a hole and tap it, install a bolt. When bolt is worn down, change it. Simple fix.

Im a huge advocate of learning excellent slow speed manuevering as well, that is where most people drop their bikes the first time. One word of advice. As soon as you think you are good enough that you dont need to slip the clutch, you will kill the bike and drop it. Lots of people are gonna come on here and disagree with that statement, but im telling you, it only takes a split second of losing power during low speed manuevers, and you are going down.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Wanting to scrape the boards??? Sounds like you shouldve gotten a crotch rocket. I lnow I say to improve your riding abilities but really?? You would rarely ever need to scrape the boards at low speed.
Yup, as others have said, it helps you learn how to control your bike even more than you think you can now. I went to a Goldwing Rally (last year I believe), and there was a guy who came out from Florida named DJ who did some cool demonstrations on his GW. Man, the dude can ride. After most of everyone had left, a couple of us got out with him and did some weaves through cones and some slow-riding competition. I learned quite a bit in that short time, and decided to pick up some cones and do some more practicing. Here are a couple of videos I shot of some of the moves I practiced. My Kury Stilettos and completely shot on the bottom, and I need new ones. I'd like to get some titanium peg savers, but no one makes them for the Kury pegs. DJ and a few others have put titanium plates on the boards.

This first video is boring...so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
it's not so much that I want to scrape boards, but I want to get to the level of being able to do u-turns on a dime
Do it in the grassy yard thats slightly elevated.
Done w/18x at idle, locked 360, but usually 180 to get out of the yard.
Ten times harder than on asphalt.
The slight elevation &
soft ground tries to stop you dead.
Plus who cares if you fall over, no damage but maybe a grass stain. Never talking feet off the boards.
Master grass, then asphalt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts