Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals, I have a dilemma. I just received some of what I ordered from HDL :) and have started installing some of the items. I just got done installing K-A levers, tripple tree covers and Rivco risers, and now I'm going to tackle trying to put the K-A iso-grips on. I've installed the iso-grips on my Goldwing before and due to the cheap rubber stock grips I just cut them to get them off. The stock grips on the X are kinda nice though and I'd like to try getting them off without distroying them. I've tried using an air nozzle after heating them with a heat gun and no go, anyone have any other ideas on how to get the stock grips off with out distroying them?

[/img]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Grips

I used WD-40 and a screw driver and they came off perfect...If you destroy them I will send you mine for free.

·
Registered
120 Posts
removing grips

I have done that several times....I always use an old hacksaw blade..duck tape you a handle on one end..leave the blade the length of the old grip..slide it up in there and work it back and forth...the grip will come off in perfict condition..............

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I took a thin blade, long screwdriver and inserted it under the grip. Then I sprayed WD-40 into the gap and waited a little bit. Then I started turning the screwdriver, spraying WD-40 (lightly) into the area around the screwdriver as it "walked" around the grip. Once I had gone around the grip fully it slid right off.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thin screwdriver and WD-40. Pice of cake. I've got 3 or 4 sets of stock grips if you mess yours up. Just come on over and pick em up!

·
Registered
110 Posts
iso grip change

I just did this Sunday so hopefully the old brain won't forget to much.

The throtle side endcap unscrews from the throtle tube. Once the cap is removed use a long small diameter screw driver wedging it up under the rubber and spray in the wd-40 working your way around.

The clutch side end cap you will need pliers and a towell to protect the chrome(?), turn the cap 1/2 turn in either direction, the wiggle the end cap up & down while pullin toward you. It should "pop" off. Then use the same screw driver technique to remove the rubber grip as above.

Using alcohol (or non-petroleum based cleaner) clean off all residue, rough the bars with sand paper clean again with alcohol you are now ready to dry fit the grips.

While sitting on the bike, dry fit the grips and rotate them as required for the comfy fit. I used masking tape on the switch housings & on the end of the grip. Put an alignment mark on the housing and the grip so when you apply the adhesive you can slide them on & align at the same time.

Steve T

·
Registered
525 Posts
I used brake cleaner and the screwdriver method. 20 seconds and both slid right off. It took most of the residual glue with it.

G

·
I bought a set last year and still haven't put them on...it looks like I have to diconect the throttle cable and reconect it on the new grips..any input would be greatly appreciated...they are the K brand

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
dufus said:
I bought a set last year and still haven't put them on...it looks like I have to diconect the throttle cable and reconect it on the new grips..any input would be greatly appreciated...they are the K brand
I did a write-up on swapping switch housings, it also has info on changing the cable since you need to remove it to swap the housings.

Look on my site:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts