Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 - 1800 VTX-R sputters, spits and runs very rough for about 5 minutes, then runs just fine. I have installed and removed several fuel management devices, so I thought I created shorts in the wiring coming from the computer. I have tried the ground fix program. My assumption is that when it warms up, the conductor expands and the wire no longer shorts out. It could also be a sensor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Are you running regular gas in it? Is it all stock? Is it a CA model with 02 sensors? Give us a little more info. How many miles? Last tune up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grounding, Again, reply

Run regular gas only. Stock pipes, Kury Pro air cleaner, no other fuel or engine mods; 49 state model; hasn't been tuned recently; problem started when I installed the Kury fuel manager. Took it off to address the sputtering, but it did not help. Can't figure out why everything works fine after engine warms up. Thanks for your iinterest.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sure sounds like a ground problem. I'm unsure what you did when you say you tried the ground fix program. Did you actually perform the ground fixes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but I am gonna do them all again, just to make sure. My problems are a lot like "Bama"'s problems that he posted in November. The FI light comes on with deceleration and the misfiring occurs when a load is put on with acceleration. Then, after about 5 minutes of this, everything is fine. I ordered new plugs, plus I will do the grounding fixes again. I also ordered some Sea-foam, but cannot take my bike on the road--too much snow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
We did the ground fixes, checked the battery cables, put in new plugs, tried sea foam, removed and tested the fuel injectors, checked all vacuum lines, etc etc, nothing has worked. I'll tell you what the dealer finds when I get the Bike back.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Yes, but I am gonna do them all again, just to make sure. My problems are a lot like "Bama"'s problems that he posted in November. The FI light comes on with deceleration and the misfiring occurs when a load is put on with acceleration. Then, after about 5 minutes of this, everything is fine. I ordered new plugs, plus I will do the grounding fixes again. I also ordered some Sea-foam, but cannot take my bike on the road--too much snow.
corrosion under ground eyelet ?

Coils
:!:primary wires and spades connecting each coil :!:

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
984 Posts
2002 - 1800 VTX-R sputters, spits and runs very rough for about 5 minutes, then runs just fine. I have installed and removed several fuel management devices, so I thought I created shorts in the wiring coming from the computer. I have tried the ground fix program. My assumption is that when it warms up, the conductor expands and the wire no longer shorts out. It could also be a sensor. Any ideas?
If you do not have good connections for the fuel mananger it could cause major problems. The knife connectors are not good as they tend to cut some of the wire strands when installed. Soldered connections should be installed with plugin connectors to allow for removal of the fuel manager when needed.

Hope this helps.
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts