Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been reading for awhile that I should increase the pressure in my front tire from 33 to 40. I told myself I'd do later it's still new. I was looking at pictures last night of cupping and scalloping from bares sight and then looked real close at my tires and I see the signs now on my front. I've got 2200 miles on my bike and these tires and I added air this morning to 40 pounds.

My whole point to this post is to find out if it's too late to save the tire or will it continue to wear like this? Should I only make right turns from now on since it's showing up on the left side? :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
you may squeek a few more miles out of it ... i got about
3,000 out of mine and it was fairly trashed from low pressure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ran mine to 5,000 but the front and rear starting cupping about 3,000. They don't seem to straighten out at all with the added pressure. Seems as though after it starts it's to late.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There may be just a touch of good news for you. I did the same thing with my first tire... 33lbs... didn't pick up on this until I found VTXOA. I got 5700 miles on my front tire before changing. I replaced it with the same tire. (Wanted a Dunlop Elite 3 but they were backordered.) I have just over 5,700 miles on my 2nd tire and having run at 41lbs the entire time, it still looks very good. I'm guessing I'll get to 8,000 with this tire. Now that it's a lesson learned, you'll likely have much more success with the next tire!

Dan

PS: If you're looking for tires, check out the Metzeler site. Buy a rear and get a front free... (shipping is $25) Mine is on the way!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Run it at the proper pressure until it wears down to the treadwear bars. The cupping won't go away, but if you properly inflate the tires you will significantly retard the cupping. I changed out my last Metzeler front tire with 23,100 miles on the tire (that's on the tire, not on the bike) and had some cupping on it. They will ALL cup to some extent, but proper pressure will make a huge difference. I got about 10,000 miles out of my stock front tire, and had visible cupping by about 3,000 miles if my memory serves correctly. With the correctly inflated Metzelers, I can see cupping at about 6,000 if I look hard. After my current Metz wears out I'm going to try the Avon, but I only have about 12 or 13 thousand on the current tire -- it'll be a while.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup, know what you mean!

This tire had 8000 miles on it at this point. I noticed the cupping on the left side for quite some time and kept a close eye on it. I got home from a long trip on a hot summer day and instantly noticed this condition. Blisters! So off they came and on with the new Bridgestones that were already hanging in the garage. Wow, I waited a little to long for that change but they never blistered 'til that last ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow, I forgot how hard it is to post a pic on this darn site compared to the other motorcycle sites that I hang out on! No browse and click here, dammit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts