Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anytime Im riding I have to have my choke about halfway out. If I dont the bike will run, but rough and then die on me, whether Im stopped or just a low speed in town. Id assume this means I am running too lean.

Without tearing into things too much, is there anything I can check and do first? My bike has a Hypercharger and V&H Big Shots so I know it must have been/ or needs to be rejetted

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Runs bad at idle or all the time. I think there is an idle mixture screw somewhere if it is just when idling.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
partialy cover the filter in your intake with some duct tape...if it runs better you are too lean with yoursetup and will need to change your carb settings

·
Super Moderator
64,339 Posts
Well, first, did you first notice this after running for a bit with the choke on? If you did run with the choke of for ANY length of time, you will have fouled the plugs up badly. Then it will not want to run without the choke and very rough even with the choke too. From what I have read, the 1300 only needs a few seconds on choke to start, then you should push it back in to warm up.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
My bike has a Hypercharger and V&H Big Shots so I know it must have been/ or needs to be rejetted

so i take it you bought it with these mods already in place.

has it done this like ever since you bought it?

you joined this site on 5th of this month, how long you had the bike?

if not long i'd be back at that dealer, demanding some swift resolve.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
When I first got my x at 0 miles, it took over 1000 miles to break it in. Choke was needed to keep it running. I fouled the plugs so I always had to use choke to keep it running. I removed all four plugs and cleaned them. THEY WERE FUZZY BLACK!

After I cleaned them (this was at 400 miles) I did not use the choke except to start it for the first 10 seconds. I sat in my driveway and used the throttle to keep it running and warm it up. After it was warm (minute or two) I took off. Using this process I have never had the problem again.

I think your plugs are fouled.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do not use choke, only winter time to start. Adjust your idle rpm, it’s seems that is very low, this bike don’t like low rpm.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone.

Yes it was a case of operator error. I must have at some point left the choke on for too long. Then with the having to run with it on I really fouled those plugs up. I put some new plugs in and it starts great now. Now I will give it some time and check them more often.

·
Super Moderator
64,339 Posts
Don't worry too much about it. We've all forgot to push that choke back in at least once with a carbed bike 8)

Glad you got it fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts