Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to get a set of risers. On that topic, I have two questions:1-Has anyone determined how much rise is practical with stock cable and hose.
2- I am interested to know if there are any favorites of this product. Thanks for any feedback on this subject!

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
U should put your bike in your signature.....or state what bike u have ....R models have longer cables than a C...and different models use different type risers....good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
With an R model, be careful with your riser selection. I got the design like below in their 3.5" version, it would contact the speedo (cluster) housing. I ordered the 4.5" version and it fits perfectly:

If you do not get an adapter, you have to drill out the triple tree (it is essentially a drill bit one size bigger than the current holes, so very easy to do).

Here are pictures of this winter. I like the feel with these 4.5" with 1.5" pull back. With my Ultimate Big Boy seat, I needed it. I didn't have to change any wiring/cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your report. The chrome looks very good. Just wondering: I am not sure what I see in second photo. Did you have to remove the headlight to do this install?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I installed same risers as jpt on my 07 1300r . I did not have to remove headlight . I put a lawn chair cushon on the gas tank to lay the handle bars on , I did have to drill the holes for the riser bolts a little bigger . easy peasy japanesey . .... I bought ultimate big boy seat and after my arms were to short , these risers fixed that . eo

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thank you for your report. The chrome looks very good. Just wondering: I am not sure what I see in second photo. Did you have to remove the headlight to do this install?
I tried a few different things, I removed the upper triple tree (head light bolts to lower triple tree) and moved the cables behind, but ended up with binding issues.

So, if you go with the 4.5" risers I posted, you do NOT have to move the cables. Just lay a comforter across the tank, remove the handlebars, remove old risers, drill out upper triple tree (in place), reverse the setup with new risers.

Make sure you center the bars in the new risers, and don't fully tighten the riser bolts (bottom) until you mount the bar (so they can rotate to fit the bar).

It is a very nice, cheap setup.

·
Registered
871 Posts
With an R model, be careful with your riser selection. I got the design like below in their 3.5" version, it would contact the speedo (cluster) housing. I ordered the 4.5" version and it fits perfectly:

If you do not get an adapter, you have to drill out the triple tree (it is essentially a drill bit one size bigger than the current holes, so very easy to do).

Here are pictures of this winter. I like the feel with these 4.5" with 1.5" pull back. With my Ultimate Big Boy seat, I needed it. I didn't have to change any wiring/cables.
Thanks for this, I bought the 3.5 in the fall but hadn't yet begun to do the work. I just ordered the 4.5. Did you have to do anything with the wires/cables? From your pictures, it looks like some is relocated?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks for this, I bought the 3.5 in the fall but hadn't yet begun to do the work. I just ordered the 4.5. Did you have to do anything with the wires/cables? From your pictures, it looks like some is relocated?
No need to relocate anything. With an R/S/T model, just change the risers and you are good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you gentlemen. If I do not get word of a more satisfactory possibility, I will get these soon.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. If I do not get word of a more satisfactory possibility, I will get these soon.
Price wise, you will not find a better option. Anything else will be big money.

Your other option is to do mini apes, or some other handlebar. If you plan on doing that, these risers may or may not be the best option, you would want to make sure that the riser gives you the most option for aftermarket bars. I don't know aftermarket handlebars, but I would assume being sure the risers work with Harley bars, would open up the aftermarket choices.

Cheapest way to get the bars closer and higher, the 4.5" risers I posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another option, possibly cheaper and easier are the OEM Honda risers from a 2009 ish Shadow Sprit 750. Same rise, same pullback. No drilling and can be had for a song on eBay. That’s my plan. If you can’t find them let me know and I will look up and post the Honda part number. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Have had these for awhile, waiting to be installed. Have new stainless bolts and washers too around here somewhere...
Krator
They are 3.5" with 1.5" pullback

They feel good and heavy-duty enough... but is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? Not sure... i mean $29 Bucks.

Ignore the finger prints on them ...:oops: chrome looks great.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have had these for awhile, waiting to be installed. Have new stainless bolts and washers too around here somewhere...
Krator

They feel good and heavy-duty enough... but is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? Not sure... i mean $29 Bucks.

Not saying you are going to have a problem, but 3.5” was too low on mine, it made contact with the plastic cluster cover. I needed that extra inch to clear it. It just clears it now.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not saying you are going to have a problem, but 3.5” was too low on mine, it made contact with the plastic cluster cover. I needed that extra inch to clear it. It just clears it now.
I had bought these over 3 years ago for my VT750 at the time. Thanks for the heads up, saved me a lot of work that would have ended badly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Krator

View attachment 170683 View attachment 170684 View attachment 170685
These are the same ones I had bought. Now I have those and the 4.5. Either way, my bars are going up and back. I figured for the extra $40 I’d save myself so trouble and get the taller ones.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
These are the same ones I had bought. Now I have those and the 4.5. Either way, my bars are going up and back. I figured for the extra $40 I’d save myself so trouble and get the taller ones.

EDITED

I take it that like me, you never installed the 3.5" risers because you found out they would be a problem with the clearance of the speedo housing?

·
Registered
871 Posts
EDITED

I take it that like me, you never installed the 3.5" risers because you found out they would be a problem with the clearance of the speedo housing?
No, I bought them at the end of the riding season and the plan was to do it in the spring. So, if I hadn’t seen this thread, I’d have it all apart only to find they don’t fit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts