Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
EDITED

I take it that like me, you never installed the 3.5" risers because you found out they would be a problem with the clearance of the speedo housing?
I heard about the 3.5" problem before I installed my 3.5", but before I ordered the 4.5". Just in case while doing the install, I got oversized nuts (just over 1" wide) from home depot and longer bolts. I installed the 3.5" and saw they made contact, so I placed the nuts between the risers and the triple tree. This held me over until the 4.5" risers came in.

This is after I got the 4.5" Risers:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just an FYI, the install takes WAY less time than i thought. Drilling for the bolts took more time putting a sheet to catch the metal pieces that actual drill time. I had to take my batwing off (takes me 3-4 minutes). I spent more time removing the upper triple tree to reroute cables JUST TO FIND OUT I DIDN'T NEED TO.

So, all you have to do is cover the tank, break the riser lower bolts, remove the handlebars lay them on the tank, remove the factory risers, drill to the larger size, reverse the process with the 4.5" risers.

Key is, dont tighten down any of the bolts until everything is assembled, find your sweet spot with the angle of the handlebars, then tighten down everything. Also, tighten down the upper handlebar riser clamp first, then use the lower bolt to lock the bars in place.

·
Registered
675 Posts
No, I bought them at the end of the riding season and the plan was to do it in the spring. So, if I hadn’t seen this thread, I’d have it all apart only to find they don’t fit.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.
Yes, so this thread saved us both from entering into a major cluster-f*ck.... Thanks JPT!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Got this done today. @JPT is correct, this took no time at all. Just need a test ride!
Awesome, I love mine. Had I known how easy it was, I would have tackled this earlier (I had my risers for a while too). I also wouldn't have mess with the upper triple tree since I now know the cables do not need to be messed with with 4.5" risers.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts