Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkcof hollow handlebars like a windchime...fill that hollow windchime with sand and it wont ring anymore...
A great solution I found and tested is to fill the hollow handlebars with sand. You have to take off the controls because there are holes in the bar that dimples match into...keeps the controls from twisting around. Tape the holes with one layer of electric tape to prevent sand from spilling.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
/
Concrete... has been done since the 1950's

or the pricey way... iron slugs using rubber "O" rings.. like race bikes.
/
as for the pins.. to locate controls.. I removed them 3/2005... bike was 2 days old. I adjust bike to fit me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Get ISO grips with handlebar weights and be done with it. Major improvement. It also helps if you have more crap on your handlebar like a 12v socket to add more weight.

The above will be a lot easier than some of the other solutions. At most, you're looking at 150 bucks and your handlebar will look prettier.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
1300 C/R/S has bar weights from the factory 2003-2007 per parts fiche.

I have read where BB's were used.
Foam rubber and RTV for the inside plug, and RTV for the end plug at the HB end.

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
It's not always from vibration. If it were, it would happen on any bike you own. I had the numb hands and it was from my wrist position. Brought the bars closer to me changing the wrist angle and the numbness stopped

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
and there is the reason there are 100 plus bars available..
and seats to move you forward/rearward... up and down..

I had both wrists operated on... work related... I have a feeling loss of 70 percent on main hand and 50 percent on other one.. some rides when I get off the bike.. I can not hold a glass of water with one hand.

and I still ride 10,000 miles a year.

its a motorcycle.. not a car... some discomfort is expected... my opinion. just like riding a Horse.

my seat is the stock one.. so are the handle bars...:) and I still can ride 400 miles a day.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's not always from vibration. If it were, it would happen on any bike you own. I had the numb hands and it was from my wrist position. Brought the bars closer to me changing the wrist angle and the numbness stopped
I used to be a strong believer that is was a vibration issue... I always have the same numbness. But after riding a new 2017 Ultra-Limited Harley last week for a solid week where the bars were smooth as glass and I still got the numbness.. I'm now pretty convinced it's a common physical condition. Not once did I get the numbness in the left hand... only the right. Same applies to my VTX. I believe you grip the throttle slightly harder, and add the fact if you are right-handed, then more than likely you have damage to the right wrist too. Cruise control on the Harley for me was a life saver on a week long ride in the Rockies. I could feel the blood rush back in just seconds after resting my hand.

I do also believe changing your wrist angle can be helpful, as well as a nice large handle-bar grip.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
<< Clip >>. I believe you grip the throttle slightly harder, and add the fact if you are right-handed, then more than likely you have damage to the right wrist too.<< Clip >>.
I agree.
I learned a long time ago.. back when I did several 1,000 mile ride in one day..
and in 1985... 7,300 miles in 15 days.. 1983 Goldwing.

not grip the grips.. let your fingers hang off the grips... and press on the grips with your palms... ( aka counter steer )

I just do not think about it now.. its just the way I ride....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Most common cause of numbness on these bikes is too tight of a grip. Gotta relax. Chuck has it right, while cruising relax your fingers. It takes nothing to hold the throttle. A crampbuster or similar works really well. I use ISO grips with the throttle boss on it. Works for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get the Kuryakin Isogrips or look on Amazon for the cheaper knockoffs. When I got my 1st VTX1800R in 02 with stock grips my hands would get numb at freeway speed within 1/2 hour. Well I ride ALOT and that dog just won't hunt. So I got the Isogrips. Put 136,000 miles on that VTX 1800. It's for sale now at $1999.00. PM me for details if any one is interested. About 6 months ago I bought an 03 with only 55K miles on it. Rode it from WA back to NorCal and with the stock grips and it nearly drove me crazy with numb hands. Money was really tight at the time so I bought some Kury knockoffs quick through Amazon (both are made in China but Kurys ARE better quality but not so much if you are on a tight budget to pay the extra cash for). Problem solved, also if you use the gel padded gloves like Olympia used to make, even better.

Mac Daddy

02 1800R, 03 1800R
CB750k6
GL1200i STOLEN

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I agree.
I learned a long time ago.. back when I did several 1,000 mile ride in one day..
and in 1985... 7,300 miles in 15 days.. 1983 Goldwing.

not grip the grips.. let your fingers hang off the grips... and press on the grips with your palms... ( aka counter steer )

I just do not think about it now.. its just the way I ride....
That's why I like my throttle rocker. I bought a plastic one for about $5, but lost it somewhere in the garage, so got the Kuryakyn wide one (also for about $5 or less) to go on the end of the grip. Works great!! That, coupled with a throttle lock, makes the "numb hands" a thing of the past!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I tried several things and had quite riding because of the numbness/pain. Finally had a nerve conduction study done. Yup, carpal-tunnel syndrome was my culprit. Had carpal tunnel release surgery and for the most part the numbness went away. Now I have a very weak grip, especially when using hand tools but at least I can ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've struggled with numbness in both hands since getting my 1800C. I suspect it's due more to my aging (minor carpal tunnel and rotator cuff problems) than the bike's vibration, but the vibe certainly doesn't help. I use a throttle lock when possible, have ISO grips, and wear padded-palm gloves. As others have pointed out, though, the most effective thing for me has been to loosen my grip. As in consciously think about holding the grips as lightly as possible.

I have Kuryakyn 6238 end weights due to arrive today and will probably silicone in some nickel rolls if the Kurys don't make much difference. I'll report back once I get some riding time in after install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm happy to report the Kuryakyn bar weights have made a big difference! I haven't had a chance to go for an extended ride yet, but my bars and mirrors vibrated a lot less at various speeds (everything from idle to highway) on just a short ride today.

I'm using them with knockoff ISO grips from VIP Cycle, so I did have to do a little modification. The weights and grips fit together fine, but the grips use M3-0.5 screws, while the Kurys use #4-40. I got some 16mm M3-0.5 socket cap screws at Home Depot and just had to grind down the screw head O.D. a bit so they would fit inside the Kury weights. I'm a happy camper now.

YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kuryakyn ISO grips with LidLox Helmet lock tips and BrakeAway throttle lock and padded glove palms, both arms still get numb (right more often than left arm). Compared notes with my 30 yo son who rides a Triumph Daytona, his arms get numb. His recommendation is same as chuck_vtx f and cavie, drape fingers over and countersteer with palms.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with draping fingers and using palms but I do it because my hands get sweaty, never because of vibration-numbness. Now my Yamaha FJR... That's a different story. Had to get 1lb bar weights which helped a great deal

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well, I am NOW convinced it's a combination of BOTH vibration, and a physical condition. I could ride a new 2017 Harley Ultra Limited for about 1/2 hour or so before any issues, but 5 minutes on the highway on my VTX and I immediately feel numbness. I run ISO grips and wear gloves.

I don't have any numbness with my VTX around town or cruising at lower speeds... just highway speeds 70+mph.

I've often wondered if "some" of the vibration can transmit up through the steel throttle cable, which is of course attached directly to the engine. I also plan the lessen the throttle spring.

The bar weights sound encouraging!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts