Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I purchased a 2005 1300 R few weeks ago (first bike). I just noticed a hose hanging down by the exhaust. See attached pictures. I followed the hose and pulled it up. Looks like it attached to the bottom of the gas tank. There is also a T adapter, looks like maybe another hose is supposed to connect to it. Maybe related but bike is popping big time on decel. Other than that bike runs great. I put at least 250 miles on it so hose can't be that important.. lol.

See attached pictures. I'm a noob and just figured out how to take seat off so keep that in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
It is the fuel tank vent hose and the "T" is open. In case you are riding on a flooded road the open T will provide air.. Stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust??? Check all vacuum hoses, they tend to crack on the interior wall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where should the hose go? Right now it’s hanging two inches below pipes. Should i cut some off?
After market hardchrome double d pipes. Previous owner says it was jetted but does not know what kit was used. Popping is bad. I was going to replace crush gaskets then Re-jet to fix popping. Bike also has hypercharger. thought? And thank you!

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Do the hypercharger butterflies move? Hypercharger rubber hose is poor quality, some have broken off. I have my vent hose tucked into the swingarm.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You may have what is an incompletely desmogged ride. Similar to the one I have.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My tank vent hose hangs down like that always has on my 07 vtx 1300r . guess you could trim off a few inches if you wanted . I can confirm there is no hose on one of the t ends . I blocked the open t off once and bike died when riding in the rain . eo

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Leave the hose length alone....keeps gas off the bike in case of a tip over..or expansion

·
Registered
83 Posts
What octane are you running? It has been said here many times more decel popping with Hi test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for responses as I am a complete bike noob. I used a wire tie and loosely attached to bike so it still hung in front of reach tire but not visible anymore. Hypercharger butterflies move slightly. I read they provide zero benefits. Just look good. Gets in the way of my knee preventing me from hugging the tank. I may go back to stock. I use 87 octane as did previous owner. I tried adjusting the richness valve. I turned it but apparently too much. Popping was gone but bike died when I put bike into 4th or 5th. Anyone know why this happens? Too rich a mix and bike just lost power and shut down. Overheated? I adjusted a few times while on a ride yesterday. All the restarting bike must of killed my battery since I got stranded for two hours. Luckily a fellow rider stopped to assist who then brought his trailer to bring me home. I have the worst luck. I thought I damaged something, mucked up plugs, or something worse, but after hooking up to battery tender overnight bike started but would die immediately after releasing throttle even after warming up for 2-3 min. I reduced the valve (counter clockwise) and dialed it back in. I'm too nervous to go out on the road in fear of getting stranded again and wife would kill me. Need to put a trailer hitch on truck and buy a trailer soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for responses as I am a complete bike noob. I used a wire tie and loosely attached to bike so it still hung in front of reach tire but not visible anymore. Hypercharger butterflies move slightly. I read they provide zero benefits. Just look good. Gets in the way of my knee preventing me from hugging the tank. I may go back to stock. I use 87 octane as did previous owner. I tried adjusting the richness valve. I turned it but apparently too much. Popping was gone but bike died when I put bike into 4th or 5th. Anyone know why this happens? Too rich a mix and bike just lost power and shut down. Overheated? I adjusted a few times while on a ride yesterday. All the restarting bike must of killed my battery since I got stranded for two hours. Luckily a fellow rider stopped to assist who then brought his trailer to bring me home. I have the worst luck. I thought I damaged something, mucked up plugs, or something worse, but after hooking up to battery tender overnight bike started but would die immediately after releasing throttle even after warming up for 2-3 min. I reduced the valve (counter clockwise) and dialed it back in. I'm too nervous to go out on the road in fear of getting stranded again and wife would kill me. Need to put a trailer hitch on truck and buy a trailer soon.
And popping is back after adjusting richness.. 😆SMH..

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Most bikes have decelerations pop to some degree...the OEM mufflers hide this on the VTX...are u running stock pipes...most of us especially if we went to aftermarket pipes did the pair valve removal to elimate decelerations pop...close your AF screw and then turn it 21/2 turns out...that may help...others will be along with more help...good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most bikes have decelerations pop to some degree...the OEM mufflers hide this on the VTX...are u running stock pipes...most of us especially if we went to aftermarket pipes did the pair valve removal to elimate decelerations pop...close your AF screw and then turn it 21/2 turns out...that should cure the richness...others will be along with more help...good luck
When you say close AF screw, does that mean turn all the way counter clockwise until it stops, then re-open clockwise 2.5 turns? I hope I didn't damage bike by setting too rich.

Aftermarket HardChrome double D pipes.

The popping is very loud and consistent. Embarrassing loud in town. Going to try to tighten exhaust and/or crush gasket.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Clockwise closes...counter opens it....most likely the pair mod needs to be done...was it popping when u bought it....if not then obviously something else is going on..

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Have you checked every vacuum hose??
Remove hose to hypercharger and plug it.

Vacuum source on the intake manifold, to a TEE, one hose to carb ACO, one hose to fuel petcock. This is the minimum setup.

If PAIR is still connected, one more TEE and a hose to PAIR..

The PAIR can be blocked right at the hose bib on each cylinder head.
A bolt and RTV or epoxy make a good seal.

A nut has been added to make it look better.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say close AF screw, does that mean turn all the way counter clockwise until it stops, then re-open clockwise 2.5 turns? I hope I didn't damage bike by setting too rich.

Aftermarket HardChrome double D pipes.

The popping is very loud and consistent. Embarrassing loud in town. Going to try to tighten exhaust and/or crush gasket.
When I close AF screw while engine running and warmed up (all the way right) engine revs up hard is this right? Turn to left and engine stalls. Or is close actually left?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
The AF works like any screw/bolt...righty tighty..lefty loosey....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts