Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased these pipes off of Ebay but would like them to be louder but have read in a thread (somewhere, God only knows where) that you shouldn't run just straight pipes because of back pressure. My original plan was to just rip the baffles out but now I want to know if there are any baffles that will increase back pressure without taking away from my "Mayhem Romping"??:pepper1:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Running straight pipes would not be the way to go. Engine manufacturers spend countless dollars and hours to design and bring to market there products. It makes absolutely no sense that weekend mechanics would think its ok to rip apart components on a bike that costs in the thousands to "possibly" get more speed or sound. Dont risk the chance of ruining your ride. If its more sound "tone depth" you should research other brands to get a better idea. Go to your local bike shop and have a listen to some different brands.

We all have heard nice sounding pipes either riding or at meets. I personally like the sound of [email protected] cruisers, deep tone and loud enough.

Keep in mind, you dont want over the top "loud" its basically a heat score for the cops and secondly, it will bother the heck out of you after a while. Good luck in search for louder pipes, research first so you dont mess anything up (motor wise)

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
63,876 Posts
Those pipes are already loud. Removing the tiny baffles that are in there, won;t make much if any, difference

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Love the look of those pipes, thought they were pretty loud already :dontknow: maybe get your hearing checked first :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Louder??????

I used to run HK 3" Staggered Big Straits. Loved the looks, did not love the 3 t ickets I received for being too loud. I thought they sounded gat from the saddle, but they were obnoxiously loud from behind.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HK3

Louder??????

I used to run HK 3" Staggered Big Straits. Loved the looks, did not love the 3 t ickets I received for being too loud. I thought they sounded gat from the saddle, but they were obnoxiously loud from behind.

Good luck
Were your pipes on a 1300 or 1800?

Would you say these pipes are louder than the V&H Big Shots???

Also, for everyone else, I work on engines for a living and losing back pressure will not hurt the motor. If it were to hurt anything it would be the smog pumps or EGRs because of them working harder to recollect exhaust gases. Back pressure merely just gives your bike lowend torque to get it going. For instance, if I were to pull those baffles out I might have to rev a smidge higher to get going in first compared to someone who was stock. Again, Certified Technician speaking and someone with college background. Not just a pretty face :wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Were your pipes on a 1300 or 1800?

Would you say these pipes are louder than the V&H Big Shots???

Also, for everyone else, I work on engines for a living and losing back pressure will not hurt the motor. If it were to hurt anything it would be the smog pumps or EGRs because of them working harder to recollect exhaust gases. Back pressure merely just gives your bike lowend torque to get it going. For instance, if I were to pull those baffles out I might have to rev a smidge higher to get going in first compared to someone who was stock. Again, Certified Technician speaking and someone with college background. Not just a pretty face :wink::wink::wink:
They were on my 1800 Retro. The pipes were much louder than my current Big Shots. I got a 5 hp gain switching from the HK's which did not have a cross over. The Big Shots do. I have also found the chrome quality is better with the V&H.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Also, for everyone else, I work on engines for a living and losing back pressure will not hurt the motor. If it were to hurt anything it would be the smog pumps or EGRs because of them working harder to recollect exhaust gases. Back pressure merely just gives your bike lowend torque to get it going. For instance, if I were to pull those baffles out I might have to rev a smidge higher to get going in first compared to someone who was stock. Again, Certified Technician speaking and someone with college background. Not just a pretty face
Yep, look at the drag cars or rails where they run straight headers.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Running straight pipes would not be the way to go. Engine manufacturers spend countless dollars and hours to design and bring to market there products. It makes absolutely no sense that weekend mechanics would think its ok to rip apart components on a bike that costs in the thousands to "possibly" get more speed or sound. Dont risk the chance of ruining your ride. If its more sound "tone depth" you should research other brands to get a better idea. Go to your local bike shop and have a listen to some different brands.

We all have heard nice sounding pipes either riding or at meets. I personally like the sound of [email protected] cruisers, deep tone and loud enough.

Keep in mind, you dont want over the top "loud" its basically a heat score for the cops and secondly, it will bother the heck out of you after a while. Good luck in search for louder pipes, research first so you dont mess anything up (motor wise)

Cheers!
I'm glad to hear this as I am getting ready to put a set of these on my bike. I'm looking for a nice deep tone. I have on my bike some HK slip-ons that sounds a bit tinny to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had these pipes but they were way to loud. I had to make custom baffles for them. The baffles are part of the pipe. If you take the baffle out it makes these about 16" shorter. Have you tried these pipes yet? They are very loud. Without baffles I think it would sound like crap but you could try. Also it might color your pipes by taking the baffles out. I personally didn't like the sound of these pipes until I made modified baffles. Then it had a deeper quieter sound. These pipes are really about a 1.25 pipe that has a outer 3" heat shield around it. Im sure you know small diameter pipes usually give you a higher pitch noise with crackling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Heres mine. Open headers with 9" exhaust tips from auto store. I did take another adapter and made a short baffle for some backpressure. Runs fine. After this pic i did straighten the pipes up. Lol

Sent from my big thumbs onTapatalk ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres mine. Open headers with 9" exhaust tips from auto store. I did take another adapter and made a short baffle for some backpressure. Runs fine. After this pic i did straighten the pipes up. Lol

Sent from my big thumbs onTapatalk 
These pipes look pretty awesome if you ask me!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They were on my 1800 Retro. The pipes were much louder than my current Big Shots. I got a 5 hp gain switching from the HK's which did not have a cross over. The Big Shots do. I have also found the chrome quality is better with the V&H.
The 1800s naturally have a deeper, more aggressive tone to them. I wish the 1300s could sound that way but it's impossible. I also got the FlatBlk Ceramic ones because the chrome ones were just too much chrome for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts