Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a set of "new old stock" Big 3'ss from a honda deal that went out of business. They are for my 2003 1800c. But it was just the pipes. No hardware of instructions. Does anyone have any idea of what I'll need to mount these? I've sent messages to Hard Krome and they are not responding. Thought you guy who have these pipes might know. Thanks! Ben

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
You will need 2 new exhaust gaskets. If you plan to re-use the acorn nuts, you will need to add a couple flat washers under them to get a proper port seal. If you choose regular hex nuts, you can run them down the studs a little further than the acorns that bottom out too soon. Torque to 17 ft./ lbs. run them in for about a hundred miles then re-torque. the stock C tailpipe / muffler bracket should line up with the HK nuts/ bolts. The square nuts that slide in the rear brackets can be a little tricky to line up. I used a long, slim rod to ease the nut along the retainer until it lined up with the bolts. One future word of caution: Depending on how long these sat on that dealer's shelf: Some folks have had issues with the welds for the heat shields cracking. They said HK was a bitch to deal with on replacements or repairs. You're probably on your own there. Myself, I've had them for nearly 5 years now, they were on the bike at 5400 mi., now I have 17K mi. so far, so good. And make sure your exhaust tips or caps are tightened! These caps cost me $75 each just a couple months ago, and they have to be getting scarce. Be careful backing in against a curb, they chip. I am in the process of adding Smartz Baffle Shorty's inside the HK baffles. Their diameter is smaller than the inside dia. of the HK, so I had to wind furnace rope around them and glue it in place before shoving it up in there to keep it from rattling. I have one pipe done, but not tested, so I can't comment yet on my 'fix'. I hope to do the other side in the next day or 2, before the rideout to the ECG this weekend. Feel free to contact me via PM here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts