Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a VTX forum, most any of the VT forums are dead. But I thought I would post here in case this may be of value to anyone. I have been having hard starting problem for a long time now. I had the starter replaced as the dealer told me it was a known problem ($400 later). However after one day it was back, dropped it off to them again and the had it for four days, they tell me they can't find anything wrong. As well as tell me its due to high compression engines Honda installs in these bikes. So, I take it home and start my own troubleshooting (which I did not want to do).. Been doing all my own work with muscle cars for over 30 years (building high HP street burners). So, I drag myself into the garage and start on it. Oh I also replace the battery with a lithium Ion 300 CCA battery to replace the old 230cca. When doing short startups the starter relay did not sound right and one time it sounded like relay chatter. So, got a $25 replacement and installed that yesterday. Started it a few times cold, kicked right over every time. Took it out a a short right and when I got back, shut it off and tried to restart it, kicked right over. I had during my ride all my auxiliary lights on and high beams to put a big load on the electrical system. Problem solved!! Bad starter relay!... Now why in GODs name the dealer could not figure this out??? UNREAL.

Now because I'm a but worried that this will bite me in the ass again ( Murphy's law), I installed a secondary lithium battery (exactly like the new one I installed) and put it in my saddle bag) wired in parallel with the primary battery. Plenty of current now for anything I have. 600 CCA in all. The battery in these bikes are way to small anyway, the engineer should have his jules put across a 300cca battery.. LOL

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Slickman, good to see you found your problem.

I would like to see you edit the title to "Hard starting problem - My fix" or something similar.

Looks like you have a problem, not presenting a fix.

Take care, ride safe!

Have you been to "Cruisin' the Coast" (Mississippi Gulf Coast)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts