Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished working on an 8K checkup. I've read all the posts, and looked at the great articles posted by Poison and others, and man, did I have a hard time.

Found it really difficult to remove and replace the valve cover bolts...and obviously, I don't have the right tools to torque the bolts back in....I found the space even smaller to work with than I anticipated.

Are there specific tools I should have for that part? All of the other instructions were clear and specific, and I appreciate that help.

Also, really tough to get the gauges into the left rear intake valve. Had trouble with that. My wife learned a few new cuss combinations today!

Paint

·
Registered
459 Posts
Painter1 said:
Just finished working on an 8K checkup. I've read all the posts, and looked at the great articles posted by Poison and others, and man, did I have a hard time.

Found it really difficult to remove and replace the valve cover bolts...and obviously, I don't have the right tools to torque the bolts back in....I found the space even smaller to work with than I anticipated.

Are there specific tools I should have for that part? All of the other instructions were clear and specific, and I appreciate that help.

Also, really tough to get the gauges into the left rear intake valve. Had trouble with that. My wife learned a few new cuss combinations today!

Paint
I dont know if this will help at all, because it just takes a few times to find what works for you.
Those little valve cover bolts are hard for anyone with big hands, but just take your time and remove as much out of the way as possible. I use a long 8mm wrench and short one. Long one to break em loose if they were tight and short one for just turning them off and back on. Lift the cover up as you loosen the bolts so you dont drop the bolts. I also found it helpful to use the feeler guage from the left side angle on the rear intake valve check. I know some folks use long feelers, so once you get them under the rocker arm you can just drag slightly in and out from the left side angle. I also use a feeler guage on the exhuast that is a 90 deg bent at the foot because you have no room on either exhaust in my opinion.
As far as torque on those small bolts, well maybe you should but I dont. I use snug them good, not to tight or not to loose and never had a leak.
I dont know if this helps. I just take my time and make sure it is right.
I also found that once I have made all adjustments you are usaully pretty good for sometime even up to about 30k. I just did mine and they were still in spec except one exhuast that I had adjusted a little too tight for me ( a snug .011) but have adjusted it now to the .012.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Patience Grasshopper...these things come with experience, which you will obtain as you progress down the pathway of VTX ownership. 8) :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
472 Posts
My name is wing nut at work 8) Just thought i'd share!

·
Registered
925 Posts
It is a TEDIOUS job. It takes patience - more than most of us have but it is worth the effort. Hang in there. 8)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just did my second valve check. You just have to start out and be in NO HURRY! Just take your time. I cut all my gauges off shorter on both ends, which is almost a necessity. No problems. Second time around, after getting the tank and all off, it took maybe 2 hours time, which included adjusting 2 valves...and I was in no hurry at all. Just stick with it, the next time is easier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have wrenched on bikes for 30 yrs and it was much more of a project than I realized. I had never done a late model street bike. You must have a 4mm or 5/32nd wrench for the job.

Two things I did to make it easier is remove the rear pair valve hose and coolent lines. Also took my feeler gauges out of their holder and bent and shortened them. I don't see how you could do it properly otherwise.

I ended up lightly tighting the adjustment screw down onto the feeler gauge. Noting the position of the adjustment screw and carefully holding it in place while tightening.

One other thing that gave me a little trouble is the crankcase breather hose and the pair valve hose on back of the air cleaner housing. These are too short!

Next time will be easier.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've sworn off doing valve adjusts.
The last time I tried it, it was a nightmare!

I do most all of my own maintenance, but I think I will forever farm out my valve adjusts. I just don't like doing them!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I did my valves just yesterday (Monday, 23800 miles), along with the oil, filter, checked rear gear oil. Only had one rear cylinder exhaust a bit too loose. The rest were just fine. Not too hard if all the air injection junk has been removed (pair valve stuff). I did that long time ago, which makes getting to the bolts much easier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate all the comments...I knew it would be tedious and wasn't in a hurry. Just seems like it's engineered to be difficult.

VTX-Ryder: Yeah I'd swear off them too if I thought the stealer would actually do them. Plus, nearest spot is 30 miles away. Pain in the A to drop off and pick up, so I'd rather do it myself, if I can get the hang of it.

THomas: A long 8mm wrench would help. But does anyone actually torque these back in? I haven't seen a torque wrench that would fit.

Again...thanks for the words of wisdom...I enjoy working on the bike...just frustrating when it seems like your hands are too big and you've got ten thumbs. Least I didn't drop a gauge inside!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way...this is positively the greatest board I've ever seen. I'm either learning something or laughing. Usually both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts