Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hs anyone run these pipes with the straight through baffles? I am looking for opinions......

Dan

·
Registered
301 Posts
i had them and ran them w/no baffles. it was loud, but not quite the sound i was looking for-kind of "blatty" and "clappy". at the time i don't think they had the different styles of baffles avail(except the ones that came w/the pipes). now i have the V+H w/out baffles and love the sound-nice and deep. and i think the V+H are louder to boot :wink: but the hk's are BY FAR the best looking pipes on the monster X ! :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
where is the cheapest place to find a set oh HK's?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got mine off the 1800 classified on this site. $100.00. Just like new and I love them!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
3" Big straights W/O baffles

HI DANC49, I have 2003 VTX 1800R with Hard Krome 3" Big Straights. I tried the straight thru baffles, don't waste your money! It sounds way too "CLAPPY" kind of a high pitch rap not the deep sound your looking for. Have a fix if you don't mind a little drilling?Step # 1, I took the stock baffles, drilled 5/8inch holes 1" Inch apart all around the circumference, starting at the rear flange end only half way accross leaving the rest of the baffle as it was. Only drill thru the outer skin, not thru the baffel itself! Step# 2, Drill 5/8" holes 1/2" apart all around the out lip of the flange as to allow the new escapeing air that,s coming thru outside skin from the baffle to flow out the muffler. Repeat on other pipe. The result is not perfect but does give a deeper tone especially on de-celleration & stops the high "clappy" we all don't like! Almost as loud as no baffles. At any rate the stock baffles don't cut it & running no baffle is too "CLAPPY" sounding. Disclaimer: I did it and satisfied, not telling anyone else to do it! Hotwheels61 Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Re: 3" Big straights W/O baffles

hotwheels61 said:
HI DANC49, I have 2003 VTX 1800R with Hard Krome 3" Big Straights. I tried the straight thru baffles, don't waste your money! It sounds way too "CLAPPY" kind of a high pitch rap not the deep sound your looking for. Have a fix if you don't mind a little drilling?Step # 1, I took the stock baffles, drilled 5/8inch holes 1" Inch apart all around the circumference, starting at the rear flange end only half way accross leaving the rest of the baffle as it was. Only drill thru the outer skin, not thru the baffel itself! Step# 2, Drill 5/8" holes 1/2" apart all around the out lip of the flange as to allow the new escapeing air that,s coming thru outside skin from the baffle to flow out the muffler. Repeat on other pipe. The result is not perfect but does give a deeper tone especially on de-celleration & stops the high "clappy" we all don't like! Almost as loud as no baffles. At any rate the stock baffles don't cut it & running no baffle is too "CLAPPY" sounding. Disclaimer: I did it and satisfied, not telling anyone else to do it! Hotwheels61 Good Luck!
this may help
http://www.imajinit.com/vtx/exhaustmod/

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey Hotwheels61,

When you're talking about the "stock baffles" in your modification reccomendation are you speaking about the baffles in the Honda factory exhaust or the baffles that come w/the HK pipes? I've them on my bike and I'm looking for a bit more sound and maybe a deeper tone.

I love the looks of my exhaust and the sound is okay.

Thanks,

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey Hotwheels61,

When you're talking about the "stock baffles" in your modification reccomendation are you speaking about the baffles in the Honda factory exhaust or the baffles that come w/the HK pipes? I've them on my bike and I'm looking for a bit more sound and maybe a deeper tone.

I love the looks of my exhaust and the sound is okay.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
HardKrome 3" Big Straights Exhaust

b88miller, The modification is on the removable HardKrome Baffles that come in the HK. pipes when you buy them, Hotwheels61

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks Wheels..............

I'm gonna pull my baffles this weekend or next just to hear how they sound straight...........then maybe I'll utilize your suggestion if I'm still not content w/the tone.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Re: 3" Big straights W/O baffles

hotwheels61 said:
Step # 1, I took the stock baffles, drilled 5/8inch holes 1" Inch apart all around the circumference, starting at the rear flange end only half way accross leaving the rest of the baffle as it was. Only drill thru the outer skin, not thru the baffel itself! Step# 2, Drill 5/8" holes 1/2" apart all around the out lip of the flange as to allow the new escapeing air that,s coming thru outside skin from the baffle to flow out the muffler. Repeat on other pipe. The result is not perfect but does give a deeper tone especially on de-celleration & stops the high "clappy" we all don't like! Almost as loud as no baffles. At any rate the stock baffles don't cut it & running no baffle is too "CLAPPY" sounding. Disclaimer: I did it and satisfied, not telling anyone else to do it! Hotwheels61 Good Luck!
Any photos of this? I'm not sure I'm understanding it correct and I was thinking about doing this.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just installed the straight thru baffles and it's like running straight pipes still...LOUD. I will be ordering the Thunder's tomorrow.!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Installed the Monster Thunder baffles...man they are small for $85 bucks! Anyway, they seem to have improved the idle and accelleration sound greatly. On decell you still get some "blatt...blatt...blatt..." when slowing...I will adjust the Fi2000 some and see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts