Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
Thanks DS. Yeah, probably time to pass the torch.

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
I think its more about passing harder engine emissions is the main reason behind the end of the Sportster. It looks like the Nigthster will be Harley's entry level bike to get the torch as the smallest bike in the lineup.
I suspect you're right. The engine would have needed some rework to meet emissions so instead of a rework, just modernize it. The one guy said that they shouldn't have called the new platform a Sportster, but I disagree. I like the fact that they returned the Sportster to what the concept was always intended to be, and they would have made a mistake to try an evolution of the platform. They tried a new line in the Street series and for many reasons it was a flop. If the Sportster is done, due to emissions, then there's nothing wrong with giving the line a major face lift. Car and bike makers do this all of the time.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Really not for the NA market, but internationally, the majority of bikes are much smaller than we see here generally.
Yep, in late 79-81 I was stationed in Germany.
You would see 30 or 40 mopeds outside a Gasthaus, go in and wow, you would think hells angels was in town.
Now, anything over 250cc was large, and to own anything over 500cc, well, man, that was power.
And if you happened to have a GS1000, or a KZ1000, man, you were boss.
There were VW's that would beat a US Z28 hands down, and the Z would blow a head gasket trying to beat the lil VW.
I can see that is the way we are heading.
Small cc, to offset the 10 dollars per quart of gas soon.

There are more terrible gangs though.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
I'm sad to read this, as I'm a fan of the Sportsters built since '83 (here's why) due to the engine, which is the most reliable Harley made. I especially like the 1200, as a perfect choice for a small, light, but still powerful engine. They sound cool, and can be fixed up really nice for show or go. For whatever reason among Harley fans, the Sportster got a reputation as a girls bike, but I think that changed once they started the 48 series, (image below) with the fat, donut tires, and the bobber look.

The Sportster might arguable be the most perfect Harley that was still built old-school, as it isn't too big or too small, is very reliable, and still has endless customization possibilities with aftermarket mods. The good news is that there are SO MANY of these 'out there' that at least in my lifetime there will be opportunity to get a used one.

Tire Wheel Plant Jeans Vehicle

Here is a pretty cool history of the Sportster:
Harley-Davidson Sportster History: Evolution of the Legendary Model Blowing Away Big Twins Since 1957

Reactions: DarkShadow

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The sportsters suffered a terrible image problem here in Australia and I'll bet in other countries too. Gang members would buy one for the wife, but never be seen on one themselves, as the earlier ones with the 883 were looked down on by clubbies. Hense, they were universally known as a "girls" bike. Rightly or wrongly. The wanker crowd, who could'nt get a loan for a bigger Harley, settled on a sportster so they could dress in the Harley Davison costume. These blokes were mostly the one's giving all Harley riders a bad name. The wanna be's. I have never ridden a Harley sportster but I think they have classic good looks and like the end of all models of car and bike it will be sad to see the end of an era.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I agree, it should have been cut earlier. The 'girls bike' thing was all a load of crap. It was '57, they were competing with the Brits, not with their own product line, or any other 'heavy tourer'.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
what took so long. how many times over the years have i heard it referred to as harley's 'girls bike'. lol should have been on the chopping block a long time ago.
You're entitled to not like the bike, but arguing the Sportster should have been cut out of the lineup because a few ignorant riders liked to tease others about it not being macho enough is ludicrous. The Sportster had the longest run of ANY production motorcycle (introduced in '57) was an excellent seller for Harley for both male and female riders. The Sportster XR750 dominated flat-track racing for years, easily becoming the winningest motorcycle in AMA professional racing history. The point being, it If the Sportster was a bad choice, it begs the question of why Harley kept building them for over SIXTY years, and why they were/are copied so much by the metric bike makers (e.g. Honda Shadow, Yamaha Bolt) ?

Like the Sportster or not, its earned the respect of thousands of motorcyclists for decades, so saying it should have been cut "a long time ago" isn't justified by any reasoning.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Lots of women riders not going to get on a 'girls' bike.
:LOL: LOL! This is easily one of the :poop:dumbest statements I've read in a while.

From Womenridersnow.com:

This top 10 list is compiled from results of a survey we conducted of our readers in May 2015 where more than 1500 women responded to the question, “What motorcycle do you ride?”

1. Harley-Davidson Sportster 883
Its no surprise this iconic motorcycle from Harley-Davidson is the most popular motorcycle ridden by women.
Source: Top 10 Motorcycles Women Ride - Women Riders Now

Reactions: DrDolittle
1 - 20 of 55 Posts