Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson tumbled $10.50 to $48.27. The 18 percent slide was the steepest in the S&P 500. Profits in 2005 will probably increase between 5 percent and 8 percent, lower than the company's previous forecast for 15 percent growth.

For those of you who feel sorry for Hog Stockholders, send your cash donations directly to me and I'll see that they are forwarded to H-D.

Thanks for caring :wink:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Their slower sales are due to the motorcycle boom slowing just a bit.Kinda ironic but there sales in Japan are up..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone told me there would be alot of used Harleys on the market, because the Chopper (TV shows) wave sparked a buying frenzy and now folks are starting to realize they aren't suited to riding. Sounds like it might be true...

·
Registered
431 Posts
J. Scott said:
Someone told me there would be alot of used Harleys on the market, because the Chopper (TV shows) wave sparked a buying frenzy and now folks are starting to realize they aren't suited to riding. Sounds like it might be true...
There is :roll:
Just look in a local classified, around here it is about 6:1 RATIO of HD vrs. Metric ads, The publication ad magazines are even higher!!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
there is a flood of HD used bikes for sale. They uped there production a few years ago when there was a waiting list for many of their bikes.For a bit you could pay less for a new one than a slighty used HD because of the wait. There also seems to be tons of all kinds of cruiser type bikes for sale used. Think it's from all the new riders who watch a few american choppers run out and buy one,Vstar,VTX ,$$ chopper or HD and never ride.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think there is certainly a Harley-Davidson/metric cruiser "bubble" that will burst in another year or two.

While there will always be dedicated riders (I would think most on this board are pretty dedicated! :D ), there is no denying that there is a motorcycle "fad" going on right now (centered mostly, it seems, around Harleys and baby-boomers) and all fads eventually die. I think many will go buy a Harley (or other cruiser), buy the "biker" clothes, have fun dressing up and riding a bit...and then move on to another hobby (joining the "been there, done that" gang of ex-motorcycle riders).

Even the dedicated riders might eventually get bored and be ready to try a different type of motorcycle besides a V-Twin cruiser. (pity the company that doesn't offer any alternatives :wink: ) I love the rumble of the VTX and I've always liked the looks of the HD Softail Customs...but my next bike will be the ST1300.

·
Registered
455 Posts
LikeABat has the right idea. OUt here, I don't think anyone under 45 buys a Harley. Unfortunately, most of these guys have never or seldom ridden, and often end up dead in a ditch when they can't control their ride. All it takes is a few of these before the wives start telling them to sell the things.
I think the boom is on the way to a bust. However, despite the huge volume of HDs with low miles, I'm not a bit tempted -- love my VTX.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts