Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a REALLY good deal on a fairly complete Rushmore street glide fairing. It didn't include gauges, stereo, mounting brackets or the headlight (I got a daymaker knock off instead).
I'm a tool and die machinist so fabbing up everything to mount it wasn't an issue.

My problem is risers and bars. Can I go with 1" risers and taller bagger bars without contacting the tank? The fairing is way too high using my boulevard windshield clamps to mount it so it clears the factory riser. If I use the Memphis Shades clamps I had from my previous X, the height is perfect but I'd need 1" risers and approximately 10" bagger bars. I found some Harley meathooks with spacing that will work for Honda risers but I would like to know if the 1" riser/bar combo would work on the X or if I'm going to have to figure out something with the stock risers.

I'd like to get this part of my project completed so I can move on to fitting the Indian chieftain bags I picked up. I will also post pictures and measurements once I figure out the height situation in to hopefully help out anyone else who wants to give this a go.

update: I figured it out. I can offset the fairing 3/4” to get it into the position I want with the factory risers. Pics will be added later IF my headlight ever comes in. You pretty much have to use the HD headlight with the Rushmore fairing unless you want to mount to the forks under the lower tree.

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

The Harley headlight finally got delivered (two weeks late. Thanks USPS.). I got the fairing mounted and I think the fairing itself looks good, but I don’t like the side profile without bagger bars. I’m hoping to have a slow night at work tonight to make some 1.7” straight risers to mount some meathooks.

I’m also going to make some adjustments to my fork mounts so I can move the fairing back about an inch so I can install an outer faring trim skirt. To me the area under the headlight doesn’t look complete without it.

I will still post a write up when it’s completed that will hopefully have enough details to make this a breeze if anyone wants to go with one of these fairings instead of the older model.

edit: turn signals have been reinstalled right under the lower tree for now. If I can get the fairing skirt to work I’ll probably end up using Harley signals as well. I also decided to order the actual vent duct that goes between the inner and outer fairing. Sadly it bumped up the amount I’ve got tied up into this project to $325. I was hoping to come out cheaper that the generic empty fairings you can buy on eBay.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I just want to say, and I'm saying it tongue-in-cheek so not seriously, my ol' buddy Renegade Rick put a HD fairing on his 2004 1800 S. Several times we rode together with him out front, I had to dodge flying parts. He's a self-employed HVAC contractor/ plumber whose work I respect, so it must'a been the HD stuff used to falling off? Just saying. BTW, yours looks good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I finally got version 1 of of my Harley Rushmore fairing fitted to my bike and I’ve ridden almost 700 miles with it on. It is rock solid and I’m really liking the 7” Daymaker. Everything except the windshield bolts and the 4 long bolts to remove the inner from the outer has blue loctite. My total cost for the fairing, lower skirt, headlight, inner brackets and windshield is just under $500.

I went with a Dual double din touchscreen with Apple car play and android auto for my head unit, Polk MM1 6.5 speakers and a Soundstream Picasso nano PN4.1000 amp. This setup can be heard at 100mph over wind noise and exhaust clearly after tweaking the head unit eq.

I still have to make and polish the aluminum plugs I’m going to use to plug the gauge holes if I ever get a slow night at work and get the media compartment door to cover that large ugly hole. I also plan on switching to the 1.70” risers I made and 12” bagger apes when I can afford longer brake and clutch lines. I’ll also switch my fork clamps to the Memphis shades clamps then so I can install the inner fairing tree cover.

Phase 2 of my project is adding the slightly older (2015ish) Indian Chieftain hard saddlebags with the electronic locks and audio lids, then building the rfid system for the ignition, accessory power, bag locks etc. I could use an easyguard rfid kit from Amazon or eBay, but the two kits I tried out on a Yamaha Stryker previously had some issues I didn’t like. I may try one again, I haven’t decided.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts