Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the HD guys out there with fairings or the VTXers running HD fairings.

Have any of you upgraded the stock speakers to something larger than the 5-1/4? I found these 6-1/2 Speaker Adapter Rings from Throttle-UP for $40. http://www.throttleupindustries.com/speaker_rings.html Any issues running the larger speakers? I will be running an aftermarket radio and an amp if necessary. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any clearance issues or weight issues with the larger speakers.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Only way to go as far as I am concerned.

With a good head unit you may not need a amp but if you are planning on blowing ur neighbors away that's something different.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Try hogtunes. really great sounding speakers and amp set-up. put one on my ultra classic electra glide and it really made a difference. install is super easy.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've got J&M 7 1/4" speakers on my Road Glide and they are awesome. Dr. V-twin has them for the cheapest price shipped.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replies and more Questions...

Thank you for the input so far. I have concluded that I'm go with bigger speakers!!! I've been reading some HD forums and looking at speaker/fairing brackets and don't think there will be any problem running with the larger speakers.

I wish Sony made a marine version of this: http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_DSXS200X/ I'm leaning towards going with it even though it wont be waterproof. Wonder if there is a cover that will fit the HD stereo hole?

I'll check out the hogtunes and j&m as both locodude and sonar_chris have suggested.

Looking at pictures of people's HD fairings on their VTXs I have noticed some tweeters mounted to the top of the fairing - just found that those are from hogtunes - I'll see what else they have.

I have also been looking at regular car speakers from polk, alpine and infinity. I'm not sure what benefits if any there is with going with the hogtunes/j&m versus the car speakers I've listed???

Also is it 4 or 5 inch speakers that fit in the holes where the speedo and tach are in the middle of the fairing?

Thanks in advance...

·
Mad Hatter
21,342 Posts
Yea, I wish I could get bigger than the 5 1/4" in my Vic XC.. I just added the Kicker PS5250's..

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
TCB I am working on it.

I can fit them in the fairing but you will lose the speaker baffle. This is the part I am working on for the XC

I like the J&M 7.25's but for the price and sound I will stay with my 6.5 inch Alpine SPS 600's

dd

·
Registered
644 Posts
If your using speakers that are built for an HD, then you need to be aware that HD uses a 2 ohm system, most aftermarket head units are 4 ohm, you can make 2 ohm speakers work on a 4 ohm system and vice versa, but its a little more complicated then plug and play, you may want to get an aftermarket marine grade speaker thats 4 ohm for your set up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the good heads up sonar_chris! I'll just stick at looking at car/marine speakers to go with that sony head unit.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
sonar_chris is right about speakers of the HD units.
It's okay to run 4ohm speakers with a 2 ohm head unit without any problems. However I would not suggest running 2 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm head unit. you are asking for problems. a Good cross over can allow such a mismatch to work but to get the correct crossover may be difficult to find for your exact head unit/speakers.
HD and Victory head units (XC) are 2 ohm.

There are a lot of good speakers out there now. Without a good amp you will not have a lot of bass but then once you get to moving at highway speeds what you have will disappear any way. Motorcycles are in a open environment, not like in a auto/truck/house which is a enclosed environment. Speaker baffles will help some and can/will protect the speakers from rain.

Polk, Alpine, Infinity, Kicker make some really good speakers. For good lows look at speakers that have at least low 60 hertz to high 20,000+
There is no guarantee the speaker/head unit is capable to produce the low's. If you want to add a amp consider the arc 125.2 or 125.4 which can be fitted into the fairing itself.

hope this helps ya

dd

·
Mad Hatter
21,342 Posts
TCB I am working on it.

I can fit them in the fairing but you will lose the speaker baffle. This is the part I am working on for the XC

I like the J&M 7.25's but for the price and sound I will stay with my 6.5 inch Alpine SPS 600's

dd

Cool!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Question for the HD guys out there with fairings or the VTXers running HD fairings.

Have any of you upgraded the stock speakers to something larger than the 5-1/4? I found these 6-1/2 Speaker Adapter Rings from Throttle-UP for $40. http://www.throttleupindustries.com/speaker_rings.html Any issues running the larger speakers? I will be running an aftermarket radio and an amp if necessary. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any clearance issues or weight issues with the larger speakers.

Thanks in advance...
Check out the pics no problem with these speakers and the head unit puts out 45 rms continiously with the power pack. Be careful with the head unit you choose with the front of it opening up. The HD fairing does not leave alot of room between it and the stock handlebar risers. The 6 1/4 speaker adapters work good. No need for the 4" speakers in the speedo and tach opening with this set up.
I will get back to your PM with other info you ask for after work, not alot of time to play anymore....

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks nivensid for your pm's and help. No rush I have all winter to figure all of this out.

I'll wait to order an actual head unit until I get the brackets fabricated and the fairing mounted to the bike so I can see the space between the bars and stereo.

I've always like alpine gear - actually have an older head unit still nib cda-9830 that I was going to install in either the fairing or the wife's car. Either way I have to get the ipod cord for it. For the bike I would then have to mount the ipod to the handlebars and I really don't want too.

Then I came across that sony unit and I was like WOW just stick the ipod in the unit and be done with it. The stereo constantly charges the ipod and no handlebar mount to clutter and take up space.

I'll take at look at your stereo setup and check out your build page again. I need to find either a new set of bars or a set of bars and risers that are more comfortable than the stock 1300C bars. I have sat on a couple of bikes with beach bars I think they were called and then some r bars/risers which both feel better. Always liked the look of the cp punishers. I'm guessing that i'm going to have to buy a few different setups to see what works best for hand position and my back and now what gives some space/access to the stereo in the fairing.

What I would really like is something like the setup on a harley with the controls on the bars. Searched and searched the threads but it dosn't look like any has come up with something that works. And from my pm's you know I'm not the one to come up with the answer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts