Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
7,829 Posts
YAWN

While I'm glad Harley is still around, I personally have never understood the brand loyalty thing with Harley. Most of my life the 11 street bikes I've owned were mostly Honda's, with Yamaha next, but I have no brand loyalty to those bikes either. I can now say as a Harley owner, my reaction to the 120th Anniversary is 'Meh'. :rolleyes:

As a fan of motorcycles in general, I'm always rooting for all manufacturers to be successful, but when it comes to my willingness to cheat on a brand with whomever is making the best bike for the best price, I'm a total 'Ho'. :p

· Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
I'm with you on this HOP. Love riding, love bikes. But manufacturers are only loyal to themselves. They don't even help their dealers. Watched an eye opening video by fortnine yesterday about Stealerships and the raw deal they are given by the manufacturers. It's no wonder they do what they do to us, it's the only way they can keep their doors open. That video linked below.

· Registered
13,640 Posts
I'll be waiting one heluva long time before I ever buy something with the HD brand. Never obsessed with the 'status' of HD.

· Registered
170 Posts
Think they will have a price increase?

· Registered
7,829 Posts
I've been lucky over my 40 plus years or riding and buying bikes, in that there has always been great deals on used bikes here in Southern California. My Harley was bought from a dealer, but from the used inventory, so it would be interesting to learn how the used inventory works at dealerships, comparted to the new... :unsure:

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
I'll be waiting one heluva long time before I ever buy something with the HD brand. Never obsessed with the 'status' of HD.
Simply put the price tag isn't worth it to me. With that out of the way, lol, they seem to be largely alone in the cruise space now and options are increasingly limited. I'm not a HD fan, really, BUT if their evo engine is reliable and the rest of the bike as easy to fix as a metric (within reason) who knows what the future holds.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a bunch of carbed EVOs, easy to keep them going but require pretty frequent maintenance, nice to ride, no way would I drop $40k on one these days....
Other expenses to keep in mind with a new high price Harley, higher insurance costs, only runs on premium gas, maintenance costs-dealers don't want you to work on your own bike may void warranty.

· Registered
2009 Honda VTX1300C
5,495 Posts
My Moto Guzzi specs the high octane fuel. So does My VStrom 1000. And our Harley. And one of our Yamaha motorcycles.

In regard to price - look at what the other brands are selling for. Prices are ALL up. With ridiculous fees and add-ons. It's a seller's market right now. Our local dealer had a manual Gold WIng on the floor.... Asking $34,000.

I will say this - if you're in the market for a large touring bike..... then there are some nice ones, especially the Harleys.

But, the smaller Harleys are UGLY MUGLY. The "Softail" used to be a good seller, but it's only offered in black now. The "Street Bob" is the same bike, basically. Both look cheap. It's hideous what they've done to the Fat Boy. And, no more Sportsters. The new replacements are also UGLY.

LOL - rant off

We'll just keep what we have

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,932 Posts
My Moto Guzzi specs the high octane fuel. So does My VStrom 1000. And our Harley. And one of our Yamaha motorcycles.

In regard to price - look at what the other brands are selling for. Prices are ALL up. With ridiculous fees and add-ons. It's a seller's market right now. Our local dealer had a manual Gold WIng on the floor.... Asking $34,000.

I will say this - if you're in the market for a large touring bike..... then there are some nice ones, especially the Harleys.

But, the smaller Harleys are UGLY MUGLY. The "Softail" used to be a good seller, but it's only offered in black now. The "Street Bob" is the same bike, basically. Both look cheap. It's hideous what they've done to the Fat Boy. And, no more Sportsters. The new replacements are also UGLY.

LOL - rant off

We'll just keep what we have

View attachment 213056
View attachment 213057
Those are just a lovely sight to behold. Not some barn finds for the future.

· Registered
2009 Honda VTX1300C
5,495 Posts
Those are just a lovely sight to behold. Not some barn finds for the future.
LOL - I was in the U.S. Marines, and later in the Navy. I can clean and polish just about anything, short of DIRT.

Maybe that's why I like shiny stuff..... either that, or I'm part monkey !

This is a walk-out basement. When it's too hot or too cold outside, it's the perfect place to clean and shine stuff. Turn on the radio and get a cup of joe.

Here's my "supervisor"

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
7,829 Posts
Other expenses to keep in mind with a new high price Harley, higher insurance costs, only runs on premium gas, maintenance costs-dealers don't want you to work on your own bike may void warranty.

I don't know about insurance for a new Harley, but I traded in a 2009 Yamaha Raider when I bought my used 2011 Harley and my insurance for the Harley went down compared the Yamaha (same insurance co.). As for the warranty restrictions you mentioned, Harley was recently sued and lost regarding forcing Harley owners to only use Harley parts and service for bike repairs to maintain warranties.

Harley-Davidson in its consent agreement with the agency said it would not block warranty coverage for bike owners who used third-party parts and services. "By law, we can't void a customer's warranty simply for installing another company's parts," the company said in a public notice.
Read more about it here: Harley-Davidson hit with class actions over 'right to repair' restrictions

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,932 Posts
I don't know about insurance for a new Harley, but I traded in a 2009 Yamaha Raider when I bought my used 2011 Harley and my insurance for the Harley went down compared the Yamaha (same insurance co.). As for the warranty restrictions you mentioned, Harley was recently sued and lost regarding forcing Harley owners to only use Harley parts and service for bike repairs to maintain warranties.

Read more about it here: Harley-Davidson hit with class actions over 'right to repair' restrictions
Company I work for is a leader in Automotive Rights for you as a consumer. A deal was just reached with John Deere on this Right to Repair.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts