Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the National Cycle Switchblade 2up with lowers on my 2005 1800 Retro spec 2 - the bike has the chrome forks. I have the KIT-Q105 mounting bracket and the lowers. My problem is that the bolts from the spider appear to be bottoming out in the top of the spools (and therefor can not be tightened anymore) before all the slack is taken out of the metal bands. The standard spider bolts that are to be used without the lowers are too short to work with the lowers. I do have the model N76607 lowers. I noticed that the length of the bolt for the standard mount that comes with the KIT-105 is about 9/16ths of an inch. The bolt for the spiders that came with the N76607 lowers is a full one inch long. This seems strange due to the fact that the width of the lowers only adds no more than 1/8th of an inch. Why aren't the bolts on the spiders from the N76607 lowers only 1/8th inch longer instead of 7/16ths inch longer? I thought of cutting the bolts off about 1/4th of an inch with a hack saw, but I am afraid that the ends will bur and the threads will get messed up. I did check and the spiders do fit up inside the cup. Has anyone else had trouble with this on a spec 2 Retro? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

Woody

·
Registered
60 Posts
bw, I did not have that problem but, when I put the NC lowers on my 2005 1300 R, they would hit the gas tank before the steering hit the stops. If I moved the brackets so this would not happen then the windshield would not go on. So I can not get mine on at all. Check that on yours carefully.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut about 3/16ths of an inch off the bolts and now the mount works just fine. It is irritating that I paid so much for these parts, received the correct parts for this model bike, and I still had to get the hack saw out to make it work.

Woody

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lowers

You are right. I have heard of other people having the exact same problem. They had to add washers and/or had to get longer screws. I understand your frustration. Those vendors cause us a lot of headaches, especially when you are told you have the right parts.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The spiders that ship with the QuickSet4 mounts have 20mm posts. The spiders that come with the lowers are 30mm. If you look at the construction of these, the posts are simply metric bolts spot welded into the stamped sheet metal pieces. They probably took the easy way out instead of getting the exact length bolt - say 25mm - they just went with the next longer bolt from their supplier: a 30mm bolt.

I've had the exact opposite problem. I had the original spiders, and my lowers included spiders that were the exact same length as these. After wrangling with National, I finally got them to send the spiders with the necessary longer posts. When the package arrived it had one 30mm spider, and yet another 20mm spider! So, they're supposed to be sending me two more 30mm spiders. The final tally will be five 20mm spiders, and three 30mm spiders...and this thread confirms what I figured on: I'll be taking the Rebel to the new spiders to shorten them :?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is frustrating. I do know that these are all metric, but I only had an english measuring tape when I took the measurements. I now possibly have another problem (seems to be a theme!) The 2-up is a little to tall for me. I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam. I had read post by others of my height saying they were able to look over the shield. I also just installed an Ultimate Bigboy seat. With the 2-Up installed as per the instructions, I am looking right through the top line of the windshield. I would prefer to be looking about an inch or two over the top. I can't really lower the shield as it hits the turnsignal bars if you do so and then you can't pop the shield on and off. My biggest concern though is that I also ordered a Neo lightbar which I do not have yet. Did I really screw up here? I am now concerned that the 2-up will not fit with the Neo lightbar. There is also the possibility that I may be able to mount the 2-up and then mount the Neo lightbar, but then would not be able to remove the shield without dropping the lightbar. Man this is tough. It is not like I can just walk into a showroom and see this stuff installed to verify that it all works together. I do appreciate the comments and things I have learned from this board.

By the way, a little trick (sorry but I only have a few) for cutting a bolt with a hack saw. Screw on two nuts (they are 6mm nuts for the spiders) Turn the outside nut to the edge of where you want to cut. Then using two wrenches, lightly lock the two nuts together so they will not turn. Then you can use the edge of the outside nut as a guide for your hack saw blade. This gives you a straighter cut. Then file the end of the bolt, unlock the two nuts and remove them. When you remove the nuts, they will straighten any burs in the threads that you may have caused. Then you may still have to do a little filing of the end of the bolt. Hope that helps.

Woody

1 - 6 of 6 Posts