Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has had the pleasure of replacing their waterpump?Oh ya while the engine was in the frame...thanks

·
Super Moderator
64,139 Posts
I assisted in one by watching and paying for the pizza. It was made very easy with the help of a forklift to raise the bike to eye level. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mopar fan....cool. :)
Hey Sir Spike,was it a hard job?...I have to replace mine and don't trust dealers,just wanted to know how hard it would be to do with the engine still in the bike.I have it up on a good solid stand(4x4s stacked etc.) so it is solid,any info would help..even to boost my confidence :roll:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you have the service manual and some experience with engines and feel confident, then I don't see any reason that a decent wrench couldn't do it. But then again, what do I know. 'Cept how to make bored 440s do this......

8)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I replaced mine at 15000 miles. It is a relatively easy job. It took about 45 minutes start to finish. Don't attempt it without researching it first and second thing is to invest in a torque wrench. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I did mine at about 20000 miles (that's my bike up on the forklift :D ). Not too difficult. Drain the coolant (bottom bolt on the waterpump) and also your engine oil. Remove the left floorboard and shifter assembly. Remove the remaining bolts in the waterpump and remove cover. Remove all the lines and wiggle the pump out (its kinda like one of them link puzzles). Install in the reverse order. When you order your pump, make sure you also order new O-rings as the new pump does not come with them. Replace fluids and start it up. Let it run for a few minutes and top off rad if needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Bluto, thanks for the help.I have ordered the pump,but I did not know the O rings come with it....back to the phone...MAn your bike looks great,nice paint .I had a few leaks last summer so I am taking peoples advice and replacing it.
Again thanks for info Bluto....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts