Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ridden the Ohio Route 555 "Triple Nickel" near the West Virginia / Ohio border region? Our Michigan-based Great Lakes Road Riders group is planning a roadtrip to the hillies and twisties in and around the Triple Nickel sometime in late May 2014.

Any suggestions, recommendations to see / ride, or things to avoid?

www.GreatLakesRoadRiders.org

555-2.jpg 73_06_02_14_10_53_03.jpeg

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
Hmmm...I live less than an hour from this road and have never ridden it. You can bet I'll be checking it out when the weather is warmer.

Another good road that intersects 555 is Route 78 from Nelsonville and McConnellsville, but it runs SW to NE. Just beyond McConnellsvile is the the Big Muskie Bucket, which is left over from the largest crane in the world. It's worth seeing.

Route 78.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Muskie

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Lefty.

I heard about another ride favorite in southeast Ohio called The Ohio Cousin of the Tail of the Dragon's Ohio Route 536 is near the town of Hannibal, which I believe is roughly 40 miles to the northeast of Marietta. I can't hardly wait for our Triple Nickel Ride, likely near the end of May, during which we'll explore all the great ride routes that southeast Ohio and the West Virginia border region has to offer.

73_06_02_14_10_53_03.jpeg

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
Thanks for the info, Lefty.

I heard about another ride favorite in southeast Ohio called The Ohio Cousin of the Tail of the Dragon's Ohio Route 536 is near the town of Hannibal, which I believe is roughly 40 miles to the northeast of Marietta. I can't hardly wait for our Triple Nickel Ride, likely near the end of May, during which we'll explore all the great ride routes that southeast Ohio and the West Virginia border region has to offer.

View attachment 47671
Drop me a PM when you're in the area.

·
Registered
535 Posts
last I heard about it it wasn't in the best of shape but they could have fixed it I don't know. but just a heads up to watch for gravel.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
I rode it the last 2 years...

some turns get sand and/or gravel after a rain.

some hard turns are missing turn signs and No speed limits before them...

some have off camber turns... and can be dangerous.

I like route 26 and lower part of 800 better... east of 555.

our group went south on 555 and north on 26/800 2 years ago.. and the reverse way last year.

both times.... someone's motorcycle went off the road on 555.(cruisers).. and he went to the hospital... by the way.. both times... road was blocked... waited 1/2 hour or more.

AND get Gas.. before 555... only 1 station on 555 and it price is HIGH.

and for what its worth... I most likely WILL run it again this year. even alone . this route for me is 425 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great area!

Has anybody ridden the Ohio Route 555 "Triple Nickel" near the West Virginia / Ohio border region? Our Michigan-based Great Lakes Road Riders group is planning a roadtrip to the hillies and twisties in and around the Triple Nickel sometime in late May 2014.

Any suggestions, recommendations to see / ride, or things to avoid?

View attachment 47404 View attachment 47405
I live down here where sr78 ends into us 33. There area all kinds of great roads and views on the 78, 550, 555 routes. I would suggest that you watch for omish buggies on 550 and 555 though. If your up for it shoot me a pm when you are here and I will try to be home to join you all.
Be safe in your travels. :lol:

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
I rode 555 and 78 a couple of weeks ago. Lower 555 is full of sand and gravel. 78 has some HUGE potholes. I hit one and bottomed out my front shocks. Both are great roads but need repairs.

·
Banned
467 Posts
SE Ohio

Just about any two lane road in SE Ohio is hilly, curvy, and scenic! They are easy to find. The Muskingum watershed conservancy lakes are all beautiful and fun with good fishing and hunting. There is a series of five lakes in the region built in the 1950's. They have good marinas for boat rentals also.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
last weekend. I went 800 to the river (7) west to 260 north to 145 northeast... FUN...

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
We have rode 555 several times in a nutshell the road sucks. There is a lot of better riding around
I agree with you... but did you read in the AMA motorcycle magazine ... 2 or 3 years ago... Ohio 555 was ONE of the top 15 motorcycle roads in the Country...

I want to know who PAID those people...

and WELCOME to the Board.

·
Registered
6 Posts

We have friends that camp on the Malta side so 78 is a pretty well known road for me. But I'm lucky I'm in nelsonville damn fine riding all around me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts