Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few parts powdercoated a week ago and they turned out great. Now my question is would it work on the heatshields like say on BigShots? I just have some scratches in the chrome and thought I might powdercoat them to go along with my newly painted engine.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I wanted to Bump this. I was wondering about this also. I'm thinking that the Powder-coat wouldn't hold up. But, what about some 1200* high temp paint? Specifically, Dupli-Color High Heat with Ceramic. I just picked some up to paint my engine, but I was thinking about doing the heat shields also. Here is what the label says.

Dupli-Color High Heat Paint with Ceramic is formulated for high temperature paint applications. Our exclusive ceramic formula increases heat dispersion to maintain and protect paint finish. Ideal for high temperature applications. Withstands intermittent temperatures up to 1200*. Oil and gas resistant. Ideal for: exhaust components, radiator & cooling system components, transmission housings & manifolds.
Has anyone tried this, and did it hold up?

Does anyone know what the temps get to on heat shields?

If this paint is good for manifolds you would think it would work on heat shields, right?

Thanks yall.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I was just checking out Eastwoods website, and they do sell a high temp powder coat. good to 1000 degrees, Exhaust shields definately dont get that hot, SO that would work. I haven't found the temp for regular powder coat, but since its cured at 400 degrees, Id say any temp below that would be operable. Your powder coater should have that answer for ya.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Regular PC should hold to 300 Deg, for heat shields you can use regular PC, if its directly to the Exhaust it should be High Temp PC.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I just got off the phone with my Powder Coater. He has a 2500* ceramic powder coat that works on headers and exhaust. It looks like I am going to have him do my heat shields. I am probably going to be dropping off my shields and wheels next week. I'll post pics when I get it done. My X is in pieces right now, I am in the process of a rebuild after going down a couple of weeks. ago.

·
The BuB Guy
6,538 Posts
I bought a set of that had been...ceramic powder coat (black) look good don't know how they would wear...didn't not fit my bike so sold them...

tomb

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tombstone270 said:
I bought a set of that had been...ceramic powder coat (black) look good don't know how they would wear...didn't not fit my bike so sold them...

tomb
Ceramic and Powder coat are two different things.

Ceramic coating is a liquid coating that is Sprayed with a paint gun and cured at 500 degrees and can stand up to 3500 deg once cured.

Powdercoating is a Powder that is misted in the part with a PC gun and cured at 400 deg and Regular PC can stand to 300deg and Hight temp can stand up to 1200 deg

Ceramic coating is more tough than PC and can be polished PC cannot be polished like CC.

·
The BuB Guy
6,538 Posts
jmontes said:
Tombstone270 said:

tomb
Ceramic and Powder coat are two different things.

Ceramic coating is a liquid coating that is Sprayed with a paint gun and cured at 500 degrees and can stand up to 3500 deg once cured.

Powdercoating is a Powder that is misted in the part with a PC gun and cured at 400 deg and Regular PC can stand to 300deg and Hight temp can stand up to 1200 deg

Ceramic coating is more tough than PC and can be polished PC cannot be polished like CC.
Sorry for the misinformation...they were Ceramic coated was not sure of the application...

tomb

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had my hardkromes classics PC, since they were double walled they didn't get as hot as most pipes. and they looked good and no signs of discoloring after a year ... when i decided to sell it.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
dragnize said:
I had my hardkromes classics PC, since they were double walled they didn't get as hot as most pipes. and they looked good and no signs of discoloring after a year ... when i decided to sell it.

That is one sweet 750......Man, that's fine. Nice job with the headers too. I want to powder coat mine too. I daily ride rain or shine, so it's taking it's toll on my chrome (metal that is....the plastic chromes fine....hehehe) I just want something I don't have to polish so much.

........................twin

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is one sweet 750......Man, that's fine. Nice job with the headers too. I want to powder coat mine too. I daily ride rain or shine, so it's taking it's toll on my chrome (metal that is....the plastic chromes fine....hehehe) I just want something I don't have to polish so much.
Thanks for the compliments on the bike. its acutally a vt 600 (vlx) yeah with the black pipes you couldn't really tell if they were dirty or not.. hahaha. unless you had fingerprints on it. that sucked..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
!redbird! said:
I wanted to Bump this. I was wondering about this also. I'm thinking that the Powder-coat wouldn't hold up. But, what about some 1200* high temp paint? Specifically, Dupli-Color High Heat with Ceramic. I just picked some up to paint my engine, but I was thinking about doing the heat shields also. Here is what the label says.

Dupli-Color High Heat Paint with Ceramic is formulated for high temperature paint applications. Our exclusive ceramic formula increases heat dispersion to maintain and protect paint finish. Ideal for high temperature applications. Withstands intermittent temperatures up to 1200*. Oil and gas resistant. Ideal for: exhaust components, radiator & cooling system components, transmission housings & manifolds.
Has anyone tried this, and did it hold up?

Does anyone know what the temps get to on heat shields?

If this paint is good for manifolds you would think it would work on heat shields, right?

Thanks yall.
I just painted my engine a week ago with the Duplicolor 500 degree ceramic paint and it came out great. I'm just not too sure about trying to can bomb some pipes. Thanks for the replies, I think I will be checking into ceramic coating for my BigShots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts