Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried polishing the hand control housings on their bike. Is it worth the trouble or is it just easier to buy the chrome covers? If you did it, how did they turn out? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My covers were modified cause I ran my electrical cables internal to the bars and wanted to fill the holes. After they were fill welded, I polished them up. Real nice!

Yes you do have to take some Mothers to them occasionally, but no sweat.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I did on my wifes shadow (they were ugly anyway). Seems like honda aluminum only polishes out so well. It was bright and shiny etc. except that I have seen billet take a better shine. Anyway, after a few months you have to hand polish (vs. the initial clear strip and machine polish) to bring them back out. I ground the dot4 crap off of the brake lid and polished that flat, that looked great.

Chrome looks ok, but never looks like polished aluminum. If you just pu chrome covers on... that's exactly what it looks like >> incomplete from my perspective.

If your not looking at taking the controls fully off and apart and doing a buffer wheel polish on these things, I'd just leave them alone or buy full chrome or factory polished ones.

Oh, and "just one more thing", I forgot to mention that there is a clear coat that you can use to seal them to make the shine last longer. I really don't remember the brand, but I believe they make aircraft and boat paints etc.

mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have to agree with mikeonbike1962, it really adds something to take apart your stock controls and polish them. i do it all the time to our customers bikes and in my opinion looks much better than simply slapping a chrome cover over them. it makes the bike look more like a custom than something that had a cover thrown over it to hide something.
flaunt your stock controls!!
there's my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I went to braided lines and during the process I used a spray-on paint stripper to remove the clearcoat from both reservoirs. Then replaced my grinding wheels with buffiing wheels from Sears that came with the appropiate rouge/s. I used my stock reservoir covers to prevent debris from entering inside. They shined up quicker than I thought. Then I used a little Mthers Billet Polish. Make sure you remove the rubber grommet type seals before using the paint stripper. It will soften them up and eat them. Worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I did the hand levers and related bracket on the clutch side. I haven't gotten to the housings yet. This shot gives you an idea of how smooth you can get the aluminum. Taking the levers off is not too difficult.

The method I used is here:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63855&highlight=

Go for it.

Boz

·
Registered
172 Posts
The levers, lever brackets and control housings all polish up very nicely....just like Retoractive's. I didn't seal mine, though. Occasionally, I use Mother's or something similar to bring the shine back out. Definitely worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
After spending 20+ hrs on my kickstand, I am soooo done with polishing. :D

I figured the 70$ for chrome controls was worth it. I didn't like the kury chrome 'covers', the show chrome were the complete controls.

Wasn't worth it to me to polish them, but to each his own....

FWIW, the Show Chromes are a little tight as far as the wiring pieces go. Some people have suggested filing around the openings to clean up the chroming, but YMMV.

Nate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts