Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To have them paint just the "rough" parts, between the spokes, is double the price of just doing the entire wheel, so I think I'm very close to going this route. Has anyone seen any pics of folks w/ silver "C" models and black powder coated wheels?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have not but it sounds cool, I have also thought about white with black wheels / red pinstripe.

To have them paint just the "rough" parts, between the spokes, is double the price of just doing the entire wheel, so I think I'm very close to going this route. Has anyone seen any pics of folks w/ silver "C" models and black powder coated wheels?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the pic, NJ_Frontier... Does anybody else, by chance, have any pics (NJ_Frontier says he doesn't have any more)? Maybe of the other side of the bike, and with no other stuff blacked out? I know this seems picky, but this will be a big expense for me (probably $500 when all is said and done, because of charges to pull the hardware off the rims, put everything back together, and all that), and I want to be 100% HAPPY with what I get out of it. Anybody else know of any pics on the board?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I appreciate the pic, NJ_Frontier... Does anybody else, by chance, have any pics (NJ_Frontier says he doesn't have any more)? Maybe of the other side of the bike, and with no other stuff blacked out? I know this seems picky, but this will be a big expense for me (probably $500 when all is said and done, because of charges to pull the hardware off the rims, put everything back together, and all that), and I want to be 100% HAPPY with what I get out of it. Anybody else know of any pics on the board?

Thanks again!!
If you take the wheels and rotor off yourself, and have the dealer knock out the bearings and take off the tires (50 bucks), you can get them coated for around 175-200 bucks. The rear wheel is easy to dis-assemble once you know how it all comes apart. Could save you some cash...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you take the wheels and rotor off yourself, and have the dealer knock out the bearings and take off the tires (50 bucks), you can get them coated for around 175-200 bucks. The rear wheel is easy to dis-assemble once you know how it all comes apart. Could save you some cash...
Taking them on and putting them back on seems like a job for an expert though? I haven't seen any really good DIY writeups on that. The front I think I could do, but the rear kinda scares me -- not sure.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Taking them on and putting them back on seems like a job for an expert :lol: though? I haven't seen any really good DIY writeups on that. The front I think I could do, but the rear kinda scares me -- not sure.
The rear wheel along with a lot of other maintenance items on the bike can be done by non-experts if you have some tools, know how to use them, can read a manual and have a bit of patience. The money you save will be your own ;) Seriously, get a manual. This stuff ain't rocket science. Being able to work on your own bike is half the fun of owning one.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Taking them on and putting them back on seems like a job for an expert though? I haven't seen any really good DIY writeups on that. The front I think I could do, but the rear kinda scares me -- not sure.
Removing and installing wheels and discs is no big deal if you have even a little mechanical ability and follow these instructions:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/frontwheel/

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/rearwheel/

IMHO the hard part is taking out the bearings and re-installing. I'd leave
that to a shop with a "press."

Also, if it were me, I'd go CHROME! (but that's just me!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rear wheel along with a lot of other maintenance items on the bike can be done by non-experts if you have some tools, know how to use them, can read a manual and have a bit of patience. The money you save will be your own ;) Seriously, get a manual. This stuff ain't rocket science. Being able to work on your own bike is half the fun of owning one.
Everything done to my bike so far has been done by me, so I know what you're saying. That being said, some things I feel are best left to the experts. This may not need to be one of those things though -- I always forget about the manual, will have to take a look at that. Thanks.

Removing and installing wheels and discs is no big deal if you have even a little mechanical ability and follow these instructions:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/frontwheel/

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/rearwheel/

IMHO the hard part is taking out the bearings and re-installing. I'd leave
that to a shop with a "press."

Also, if it were me, I'd go CHROME! (but that's just me!)
Thanks! I will take a look at these links, for sure. As for the chrome, that was my initial plan, but then I read that our cast aluminum wheels are not the best canvas for chroming. I wouldn't want to spend all that money and then have it peel. Another guy on here had some hybrid of chrome and powder coating done over the winter, and I'm still considering that. More expensive than the powder coating, but more the look I want. I'm just not sure I will like this black on my bike, as I love the wheels and want to draw attention to them. Powder coating them seems to make them pop less -- it may draw your attention, but it mutes the detail.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Chrome is expensive. I hadn't heard of it "peeling" but then I wasn't
looking that hard yet...

Ever consider "polishing"? Almost as good as Chrome! Way cheaper if
you do it yourself!

Check this thread and the video links,...

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217219

Good luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ever consider "polishing"? Almost as good as Chrome! Way cheaper if you do it yourself!
It's just that polishing requires constant maintenance. I don't want to have to do it all the time, as it's such a pain in the butt. My main reason for the chrome or powder coating is so the wheels can look good w/ minimal upkeep.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think you're on the right track with black wheel on a silver bike. That looks really cool. Kinda mad-max but more refined. Wheels on and off are no big deal. Like others said, read Bare's site or get a manual. I agree on having the bearings pressed out and having the tires taken off by a shop. You don't want to screw up your seats, races, or bearings and without a press that's easy to do. I love the look you're going for. We want pictures when you're done!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I personally don't like the look of all black wheels unless you're going for a total blackout look on the bike (for all that's worth). The black wheels and black tires just tend to disappear. Maybe a silver pinstripe on black wheels would look good :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
This is another members bike........he painted his wheels and polished the lip. I'm getting ready to take mine in and have them done in the next few weeks. I'm having the same thing done except I'm having it powdered coated not painted. The guy told me at the shop if I bring the wheels in dis assembled he can plast them, tape them off and powder them for around $50 each. Then I may polish the lip myself or take it in...not sure yet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is another members bike........he painted his wheels and polished the lip. I'm getting ready to take mine in and have them done in the next few weeks. I'm having the same thing done except I'm having it powdered coated not painted. The guy told me at the shop if I bring the wheels in dis assembled he can plast them, tape them off and powder them for around $50 each. Then I may polish the lip myself or take it in...not sure yet.

<image>
$50 each is a great price!

Thanks... I saw this one before, and was considering doing it this way. It kinda reminds me of whitewall tires though, and I'm not sure the look is for me. This is really hard. When all is said and done, I may just end up painting the "rough" parts between the spokes and polishing the rest. I just really don't want to have to polish this pain in the butt aluminum all the time, to keep it looking nice... But then w/ chroming there seems to be a lot of risk of bubbling/peeling because the cast aluminum is not the best material for chroming. Then, even if under warranty, you still have to pay all this money to get a problem fixed, because of tire/bearing/etc. removal and everything else. Grrrr!

G

·
0 Posts

That really looks GOOD! If I had a C model, that's the way I would go.

'Course, it is all up to each to row their own boat...but that one would really get me down stream!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts