Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 1300 retro. Do they make a toe shifter only that I can replace it with? If so, where can I buy one?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Stay with it
Took me 6 or 7 months to get used to it.

Shifts a lot faster than a toe shifter.
I rest my heel on it and a simi power shift.

Some riders cut the back lever off and put a skull or something back there

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I've been riding off and on for over 35 years, and it took me a month or two to get adjusted to the heel shifter. Now, I don't know how I ever lived without one.

:-D

Eddie

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you find one,let me know-I'm about to take the torch to it.I always wondered what that piece back there in the way of my heel was & now you guys say it is for shifting!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I dont like it either...
I am six two and size fourteen (shoe) and that heel shifter is to far back for me....I am thinkng of getting the foreward contols to let me stretch out more........
NO shoe size does not match :oops: ....I only wish

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If it's a problem with not enough room between the heel and toe shifter for your bigfoot feet, just cut off the heel shifter.
swing by and i'll brack out the sawzall for ya... :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
heal toe shifter

OK , We like um, we don't. I learn on heal-toe and I want one on my 1300C. Since I can't cut mine off - got a sawzal - thanks for asking. Who knows how to convert to a heal -toe for this bike?

F

·
0 Posts
"NO shoe size does not match Embarassed ....I only wish"

Hey awesome Cin, it can't be THAT bad...otherwise you'd be riding an 1800

:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good point FrankP....but if IT did match my shoe size I would be in movies.....oh yeah...those kind of movies.......

·
Registered
313 Posts
Serious answers, please

CaptainDoug reflects my problem, too. I want the space the heel part takes up for my dainty hoof. I find the left foot position much more irritating than the seat.

Dealer and I played with microfiches for an hour, but couldn't decide if the C shifter could be made to work, or not. Different linkages, etc.

On my RoadStar I cut about 60% off the heel, but it was a "peg," not a "pedal." I then glued glued the cut-down rubber cover back on, filled the end with black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to prevent rust, and still had enough peg for heel shifting, but was able to put my foot where it was most comfortable.

Has anyone tried the "sawzall" approach on the VTX??

I was wondering about bending the arm closer to the cases???

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was having a problem when toe shifting also hitting neutral instead of second gear... switched to heel shifter... no more problem... and wouldn't go back to toe shift for anything.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's like the Paul Simon song that says "One man's ceiling is another man's floor". Some like it some dislike it. Just personal preference. Not a right way or a wrong way, just a way you like to shift. Personally, I don't care for it either and it gets in the way of where I want to put my foot while riding. So I'm getting ready to cut it off. Should have done it long ago but was worried about cutting an expensive piece. That time has finally passed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that solves it. Next week, I'm hacking that baby off!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You can adjust the shift linkage so that the heel shifter part is even
with the back of the floorboard to give you more room, this also
raises the toe part so you can get your boot under it for
up shifts. Personally, I love it, think a heel/toe would look funny
on a Hyabusa ?

Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Spencer said:
You can adjust the shift linkage so that the heel shifter part is even
with the back of the floorboard to give you more room, this also
raises the toe part so you can get your boot under it for
up shifts. Personally, I love it, think a heel/toe would look funny
on a Hyabusa ?

Spencer :twisted:
I already adjusted mine but when the heel part is even with the board the toe is just too high, at least for me, so I've got it adjusted up from the stock location but it still leave the heel in the way of my foot. Beside I never use it. I tried it a few times and it shifts just fine but it's not the way I want to drive my bike so off with it's head (or in this case it's toe) :lol:

·
Registered
413 Posts
took the hack saw to mine it also was in the way. Love it now!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
eddiecohen said:
I've been riding off and on for over 35 years, and it took me a month or two to get adjusted to the heel shifter. Now, I don't know how I ever lived without one.

:-D

Eddie
As usual, I agree with my separated-at-birth brother Eddie. I can't live without the heel & toe shifter. It's just stately to use and much more proper to show those gears who's boss by mashing them down from atop rather than suffer the indignity of having to coax them UP with the toe of one's shoe. :wink: hehe. Oh, and ya GOTTA have that clunk to complete the picture. This all gives the bike TONS of character. I guarantee you'll get used to it; generations have before you... Oh, and that one time you wear a tuxedo with highly-shined shoes on your bike you'll thank me buddy! :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts