Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a really hard time removing the original oil filter for the first service? The tool I was using dented the filter, and I had to hammer a screw driver through it to actually loosen it. It was just amazingly tight.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
That was Way to Tight!! At least U got it off :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
6.2oz of C-4, 3 inches of det cord and a 30sec delay fuse, get er off every time. Works on fat chicks too :twisted:

Be Safe

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went against all posted recomendations to run the engine awhile to heat the oil up....blah=blah=blah. The bike had been sitting for three weeks in a heated garage. I figured everything that would settle down...settled down. Since engine was cool...metal wasn't expanded. Everything went smooth for first change.
Does warm/hot oil carry out more dirt/particles when it's "thin"? Won't cooler oil hold these particles in suspension? Does anyone know why the oil should be warm/hot when it is changed?

S

·
0 Posts
RoadCapt said:
6.2oz of C-4, 3 inches of det cord and a 30sec delay fuse, get er off every time. Works on fat chicks too :twisted:

Be Safe

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
santa said:
Does warm/hot oil carry out more dirt/particles when it's "thin"? Won't cooler oil hold these particles in suspension? Does anyone know why the oil should be warm/hot when it is changed?
You will get more "crud" out if the oil is warm or hot.
I ride my bike about ten miles before changing the oil. I ride it into the shop, put the drip pan underneath, pull both plugs and while the crank is draining I change the filter. Are the plugs hot? Yes. Is the filter hot? Yes. Does the oil drain better? Absolutely, it comes out fast and takes most if not all the bad things with it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
jhrahn said:
Any one have a really hard time removing the original oil filter for the first service? The tool I was using dented the filter, and I had to hammer a screw driver through it to actually loosen it. It was just amazingly tight.
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
jhrahn said:
I have never had a problem removing the oil filter since I started using this:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
santa said:
I went against all posted recomendations to run the engine awhile to heat the oil up....blah=blah=blah. The bike had been sitting for three weeks in a heated garage. I figured everything that would settle down...settled down. Since engine was cool...metal wasn't expanded. Everything went smooth for first change.
After sitting that long, practically nothing is in suspension. Everything has settled and stuck to the bottom, and will not come out - period. By running the engine, the oil warms up, flows over the suspended particles, and picks up most of them. Then, draining the oil quickly before they have a chance to start settling again gets them out of the engine, where you want them. I wouldn't even think of changing oil on a cold engine. As mentioned above, you work carefully to avoid getting burned, but it's worth it.

On another related topic, I'm also anal about getting every single drop out of the engine before closing it back up. I've changed my own oil on every vehicle I've ever owned. It's ridiculous how Jiffy Lube and the likes charge for half-a$$ oil changes. There's no way that a good oil change can be done in less than an hour. It takes that long for all the oil to drain out completely. I ran an experiment once on my Ford Explorer, simulating one of their oil changes. I closed everything back up within the ten minute timeframe, cleaned up my oil catch pan, and then finished up. I got about another 3/4 quart of the nastiest crap you could imagine - the bottom sludge that takes the longest to drain out. I view a fast oil change in the same light as I would a sign advertising "Ten Minute Brain Surgery". Sometimes fast isn't a good thing.

Eddie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts