Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a Pepsx. Member breej said so and so had one, email him. I did, and he said $80 shipped, He asked me to send it family and friends so the money would be available immediately. I did. There is. no fee but no protection either. I sent it on the 22nd. Getting back from my trip, I emailed about it last night. He has not responded. looking at breeg, joined 5 months ago, no posts, no discussions, etc.

Now, looking for forks after crashing my C. I get a message from Nick39. Says I know someone who is parting out his bike, and provides an email address. I contact him. I get
Hello,
Yes I'm parting out my bike. All parts listed are available in great condition.
[here he includes prices for various parts]
Let me know what you think and also where you are located.
Kind Regards.

After a lot of back and forth about his parts I let him. know I'd buy his forks. Seems like a good guy. He had some drag Baron bars, when I asked for a pic or which bar, he sent a pic of what looks like standard C bars and risers. He wants to receive payment via Zelle. never heard of this. There is no buyer protection available. I look at Nick39, joined 3 months ago, 0 posts, and Banned.

The money for the forks and shipping is lots more than the Pepsx. I was about to send the funds via Zelle for the forks, until just now I realized teh similarity between the two transactions, and things I had not thought to look for.

Feeling pretty naive. Guess I will only buy the forks if he will use paypal with buyer protection. Shame, hard to find used forks. But since I have bought a new bke and am not repairing the C, these were for backup, so no urgent loss.

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
If someone contacts YOU and has the exact thing you are looking for and has zero posts, 99.9% it's a scam. Either you buy from a well established member or you search through the 1800 For Sale board and look for your parts or buy new from any on-line dealer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If someone contacts YOU and has the exact thing you are looking for and has zero posts, 99.9% it's a scam. Either you buy from a well established member or you search through the 1800 For Sale board and look for your parts or buy new from any on-line dealer

Yes, I think I've learned this lesson. Fortunately with an $80 Pepsx, and not hundreds on forks.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Sad that people sink to screwing others like that, but I suppose it does happen. I've been fairly lucky over the years to not have any issues (knocking on wood after saying that).

Reactions: RBS and rangers4u

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I've found that when they say something like kind regards its a scam. Maybe not all the time but a lot of the scam emails I get have that phrase or something like that. And like Spike said, if they contact you with the part you need, be careful unless you can see them for yourself or someone you trust look at it. I almost got caught like that years ago, but I told them I had a friend who lived 10 miles from them and he will come pick it up, never heard from them again.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I was looking for a Pepsx. Member breej said so and so had one, email him. I did, and he said $80 shipped, He asked me to send it family and friends so the money would be available immediately. I did. There is. no fee but no protection either. I sent it on the 22nd. Getting back from my trip, I emailed about it last night. He has not responded. looking at breeg, joined 5 months ago, no posts, no discussions, etc.

Now, looking for forks after crashing my C. I get a message from Nick39. Says I know someone who is parting out his bike, and provides an email address. I contact him. I get
Hello,
Yes I'm parting out my bike. All parts listed are available in great condition.
[here he includes prices for various parts]
Let me know what you think and also where you are located.
Kind Regards.

After a lot of back and forth about his parts I let him. know I'd buy his forks. Seems like a good guy. He had some drag Baron bars, when I asked for a pic or which bar, he sent a pic of what looks like standard C bars and risers. He wants to receive payment via Zelle. never heard of this. There is no buyer protection available. I look at Nick39, joined 3 months ago, 0 posts, and Banned.

The money for the forks and shipping is lots more than the Pepsx. I was about to send the funds via Zelle for the forks, until just now I realized teh similarity between the two transactions, and things I had not thought to look for.

Feeling pretty naive. Guess I will only buy the forks if he will use paypal with buyer protection. Shame, hard to find used forks. But since I have bought a new bke and am not repairing the C, these were for backup, so no urgent loss.
Sounds like you realize you were burnt on the stand, and about to be on the forks. I have been preaching this for several months now, after looking for shocks, and something else, I got the same responses the next day, both times, from 2 guys, who 'know' a guy who has what I need. New registry, no post count. After trying to get more info, and the need to speak to the seller directly, silence. I will also only deal with my personal check or a USPS or bank money order, same as ca$H, and protected. If you are selling something, I think it would be different, but when buying, the vermin crawl out of the woodwork looking for suckers. Good luck, man.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Never deal with friends/family on paypal either. It offers you no protection. I've dealt with folks who say "pay with friends and family because it saves us both from the cost of fees". Nope, I will gladly pay a few bucks to know that I am protected.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Never deal with friends/family on paypal either. It offers you no protection. I've dealt with folks who say "pay with friends and family because it saves us both from the cost of fees". Nope, I will gladly pay a few bucks to know that I am protected.
THIS^^^^

I will never do friends and family or Venmo or any other “cash” type transaction. I will always offer to pay the extra 3% PayPal or Amazon Pay fee, if they refuse that I know they are a scammer. why would you refuse a payment transaction that protects us both if the buyer is willing to pay the fees associated with it.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
THIS^^^^

I will never do friends and family or Venmo or any other “cash” type transaction. I will always offer to pay the extra 3% PayPal or Amazon Pay fee, if they refuse that I know they are a scammer. why would you refuse a payment transaction that protects us both if the buyer is willing to pay the fees associated with it.
......because I'm old school, and a check or money order was always good enough for me, the person on the other end, and receipts for us both. Thats why. But to each, his own.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm old school enough to remember checks, but I'm not sure I can find 'em in the shed. I'm also lulled in to the false sense of security of e-transfer funds. And I'm greedy enough to ask for funds to be sent "friend to friend."

Guess what I won't be doing anymore.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
See this all the time on craigslist. Items look new but a picture from a book .Example 4 wheeler wants 1000 dollars for a 2020
Picture looks good even has your town on it. Bam I will flag it everytime

·
Registered
933 Posts
They are scanning the WTB section frequently. They seem to race with an e-mail to contact you about their so called 'friend'. Is there a good way to forward their pm's to the moderators for action on suspected scams ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sad that people sink to screwing others like that, but I suppose it does happen. I've been fairly lucky over the years to not have any issues (knocking on wood after saying that).
It's sad in this day and age that scammers put so much energy into cheating people, but that's the times we live in. You always have to have your guard up because scammers are always coming up with new ways to steal from people young and old.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
One thing I absolutely don't understand is these scammers using the same name across all the forums they have attached themselves to. They are clearly not only scammers but also idiots.
Just do a quick google search using these names and you'll see what I mean.

That all said, when you search my user name you'll also find references that have nothing to do with me. There are just too many Henk Vdb's at the other side of the Atlantic. So no, I am not a scammer.
:rolleyes: :giggle::cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
If you PM either Spike and I as soon as you see an obvious scammer we can block them before they take someone else for a ride. For those less obvious we can check them out and watch them closely. Thanks for taking care of these Spike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like they could create new accounts faster than we can catch and block them. Just need a new email address, which is easy. Nice looking bike, vtox.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts