Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is there a way to block the IP address that is used to create the scam account so another scam account cannot be created from that same IP address?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is there a way to block the IP address that is used to create the scam account so another scam account cannot be created from that same IP address?
there is, but if they use a vpn or rotating IP it becomes useless.

Reactions: tworley

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
One thing I absolutely don't understand is these scammers using the same name across all the forums they have attached themselves to. They are clearly not only scammers but also idiots.
Just do a quick google search using these names and you'll see what I mean.

That all said, when you search my user name you'll also find references that have nothing to do with me. There are just too many Henk Vdb's at the other side of the Atlantic. So no, I am not a scammer.
:rolleyes: :giggle::cool:
Have you ever actually met a “smart” criminal?

I dealt with many of them in my past life, one thing is very consistent, most lack any semblance of common or basic sense. They have zero ability to think through their actions and behaviors and they don’t believe what they are doing is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Thanks River

Dishonest folks don't typically want to work all that hard. Like other criminals they tend to go where the pickings are easiest. We can block their IP address which makes it a little tougher yet on them.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm old school enough to remember checks, but I'm not sure I can find 'em in the shed. I'm also lulled in to the false sense of security of e-transfer funds. And I'm greedy enough to ask for funds to be sent "friend to friend."

Guess what I won't be doing anymore.
Capt and I have exchanged a few transactions, both directions. He’s a man of his word, safe to deal with.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Capt and I have exchanged a few transactions, both directions. He’s a man of his word, safe to deal with.

It is indeed highly unlikely any scammer would write 1070 posts over 17+ years just in the hope he can scam somebody.
:)
It is those never seen before members you have to worry about.

·
Old Goat
25,983 Posts
Sorry for your loss...my brother lost $300 on that elusive unicorn ultimate on the VTX FB page...I only pay with and accept good old USPS MO...if buyer/seller balks I move on...good luck

Reactions: RBS and rangers4u

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Sorry for your loss...my brother lost $300 on that elusive unicorn ultimate on the VTX FB page...I only pay with and accept good old USPS MO...if buyer/seller balks I move on...good luck
Ca$H talks.....BS walks!

Reactions: RBS and TennX

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I tell folks I'll send you a check, when it clears go ahead and ship the item. I'm not jumping through hoops or, making trips to the PO for some couple hundred dollar MC parts. I've had all good experiences dealing with fellas on this site. But, as Spike said, I am always checking their history.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It is indeed highly unlikely any scammer would write 1070 posts over 17+ years just in the hope he can scam somebody.
:)
It is those never seen before members you have to worry about.
You never know, he could be playing the long game.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I tell folks I'll send you a check, when it clears go ahead and ship the item. I'm not jumping through hoops or, making trips to the PO for some couple hundred dollar MC parts. I've had all good experiences dealing with fellas on this site. But, as Spike said, I am always checking their history.
Be careful with checks, a ridding buddy, his wife was selling some furniture and their contact sent a check (not personal) for the furniture more than what they were asking . He instructed them to deposit the the check and send the overpayment back to him. His wife was not the sharpest knife in the drawer and did as instructed. The bank contacted them a few months later and denied the whole check amount and took it out of their account. He said the bank had 1 yr. that they could take that action by law. His wife blamed the bank .

·
Registered
36,059 Posts
When I had my X I bought & sold from several members.
They all had many posts and been around for awhile.

I'd take the part to the shipper, (We have a place called The Mail Room),
Usually USPS was the cheapest. I'd get 2 receipts, put 1 in the shipping box.

When I got home I contacted the person, let them know how much they owed me,
and give them the tracking #.
They'd send the payment the next day, usually a money order or postal check.

Never had a problem or got burned.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Be careful with checks, a ridding buddy, his wife was selling some furniture and their contact sent a check (not personal) for the furniture more than what they were asking . He instructed them to deposit the the check and send the overpayment back to him. His wife was not the sharpest knife in the drawer and did as instructed. The bank contacted them a few months later and denied the whole check amount and took it out of their account. He said the bank had 1 yr. that they could take that action by law. His wife blamed the bank .
Yeah, I won't do that either. My wife is a retired 35 yr. former bank ass't. mgr., so believe me she has all the strange angles covered.

Reactions: RBS and henkvdb

·
Old Goat
25,983 Posts
If u find something on a forum or social media platform ask around...my brother asked after the fact and the scum sucker was well known...good luck

Reactions: RBS and rangers4u

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking for a Pepsx. Member breej said so and so had one, email him. I did, and he said $80 shipped, He asked me to send it family and friends so the money would be available immediately. I did. There is. no fee but no protection either. I sent it on the 22nd. Getting back from my trip, I emailed about it last night. He has not responded. looking at breeg, joined 5 months ago, no posts, no discussions, etc.

Now, looking for forks after crashing my C. I get a message from Nick39. Says I know someone who is parting out his bike, and provides an email address. I contact him. I get
Hello,
Yes I'm parting out my bike. All parts listed are available in great condition.
[here he includes prices for various parts]
Let me know what you think and also where you are located.
Kind Regards.

After a lot of back and forth about his parts I let him. know I'd buy his forks. Seems like a good guy. He had some drag Baron bars, when I asked for a pic or which bar, he sent a pic of what looks like standard C bars and risers. He wants to receive payment via Zelle. never heard of this. There is no buyer protection available. I look at Nick39, joined 3 months ago, 0 posts, and Banned.

The money for the forks and shipping is lots more than the Pepsx. I was about to send the funds via Zelle for the forks, until just now I realized teh similarity between the two transactions, and things I had not thought to look for.

Feeling pretty naive. Guess I will only buy the forks if he will use paypal with buyer protection. Shame, hard to find used forks. But since I have bought a new bke and am not repairing the C, these were for backup, so no urgent loss.
I have not used this service yet, but there is a online "escrow" service called escrow.com. it is set up for sellers and or buyers to use. Tgey charge a fee, but you get protection from the purchase.

Seller only gets paid once you receive and inspect the item.

Seems this is a option, i dont think a scammer would follow through with the deal if they knew no payout if they don't deliver the goods!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have not used this service yet, but there is a online "escrow" service called escrow.com. it is set up for sellers and or buyers to use. Tgey charge a fee, but you get protection from the purchase.

Seller only gets paid once you receive and inspect the item.

Seems this is a option, i dont think a scammer would follow through with the deal if they knew no payout if they don't deliver the goods!

Great Idea to have a trusted middle man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was looking for a Pepsx. Member breej said so and so had one, email him. I did, and he said $80 shipped, He asked me to send it family and friends so the money would be available immediately. I did. There is. no fee but no protection either. I sent it on the 22nd. Getting back from my trip, I emailed about it last night. He has not responded. looking at breeg, joined 5 months ago, no posts, no discussions, etc.

Now, looking for forks after crashing my C. I get a message from Nick39. Says I know someone who is parting out his bike, and provides an email address. I contact him. I get
Hello,
Yes I'm parting out my bike. All parts listed are available in great condition.
[here he includes prices for various parts]
Let me know what you think and also where you are located.
Kind Regards.

After a lot of back and forth about his parts I let him. know I'd buy his forks. Seems like a good guy. He had some drag Baron bars, when I asked for a pic or which bar, he sent a pic of what looks like standard C bars and risers. He wants to receive payment via Zelle. never heard of this. There is no buyer protection available. I look at Nick39, joined 3 months ago, 0 posts, and Banned.

The money for the forks and shipping is lots more than the Pepsx. I was about to send the funds via Zelle for the forks, until just now I realized teh similarity between the two transactions, and things I had not thought to look for.

Feeling pretty naive. Guess I will only buy the forks if he will use paypal with buyer protection. Shame, hard to find used forks. But since I have bought a new bke and am not repairing the C, these were for backup, so no urgent loss.
Ebay has several sets and transaction is protected by both eBay and PayPal. Can also view seller's rating.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts