Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure whether I'm getting older, well actually I am :lol:, but my loud pipes are coming into question more and more. It seems like more and more places are clamping down on loud/nonstock pipes. And I am thinking about taking my stockers out of storage and putting them back on my pipe as I prepare for a cross country trip in 09. the last thing I want it to get stopped for loud pipes and get some huge fine.. Last time I was riding in Myrtle Beach their fine was $1100 -but MB is a story in itself.

Anyway I was just curious if the new laws have influenced anyone to return to stockers???

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Not here.. Still using My LOUD Pipes :mrgreen:

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
I can't stanz loud pipes. That said,..
I hava Roadhouse Shorty on my Xc.
It's not real loud but, allows for go exhaust flow AND still "looks" nuff like the OEM pipe to get me past where others got nailed.

I still have the original cannon pipe and use it sometimes if I wanna really quiet the bike down.

·
Registered
989 Posts
LOUD PIPES

THERE ARE LOUD PIPES THEN THERE ARE LOUD PIPES..JUST AS ALL ROOSTERS ARE CHICKENS BUT ALL CHICKENS ARENT ROOSTERS...WHAT SOUNDS RIGHT FOR YOU MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH FOR SOMEONE ELSE BUT TO LOUD FOR ME..........

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I think that part of it is how you use the loud pipes.

If you are around town ripping up and down the streets making a ruckous, you are more likely to get hassled.

The new laws are unfair...they should concentrate on the folks who are abusing the peace......rather than nailing anyone with non-stock pipes on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm still baffled (no pun intended) about these loud pipe laws ya'll are talking about. How are the sounds measured? At what RPM are the sounds measured? How are these laws enforced? Does somebody have to complain before you get cited? Does it matter how long your hair is or how many tatoos you have? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Denver adopted a loud pipe ordinance about a year ago, but I haven't "heard" that it is being strictly enforced. The Tider can still set off multiple car alarms downtown... with a slight roll on (not that I do it intentionally :roll: ), and... I have not received any certificates of appreciation, yet. 8)

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Oh yea they are proud of them!

There are sites that list them below $700.

I run stock pipes, I like the quieter sound most of the time.
I've been very, very happy with my stock piper (with very "generous" Riley Mod ) and have never regretted my decision to spend the bucks on really important stuff ...

but ...

opinions vary ....

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
435 Posts
For the past year I work and ride threw 2 towns that have a law already. What I do is lug the engine and don't take off quickly.

This past summer I stopped in Salem Ma with my friend and our wifes. We had stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee. When 2 guys saying that they own HD said they didn't ride any more in Salem because of the new law. He said if there was no noise law that the parking lot would be full of bikes.

We only had 300 feet left to the town line.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
There are a few times that I have regreted putting on my louder pipes.

I felt in a way that I violated the serene nature while riding the Blueridge parkway one early morning, though I tried my hardest to be quiet. There are time when I come home a little early from town as its after 8PM and I know older people like my mother are turning in for the evening.

But for the most part I like the way the pipes look, I like the way the pipes sound, and untill someone forces me to remove them, I'll keep them on. I really don't see anything coing down the pipe here in Iowa in the next couple of years, so I really think I'll have different bike by then anyhow....

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I've been very, very happy with my stock piper (with very "generous" Riley Mod ) and have never regretted my decision to spend the bucks on really important stuff ...
If pipes aren't "important", why do the "very generous Riley mod" at all? That mod is specifically aiming to make a louder exhaust note in a cheap fashion. Your pipes are no longer stock. They have been modified and are subject to the new laws just as much as the aftermarket pipes are. Read the fine print of many of the new laws.

Actually, there are laws NOW that prohibit altering stock exhausts to change the exhaust note.

I hated the way the stock exhaust looks....like two missile launchers hung on the side of the bike......I also wanted more sound.

SO new pipes, to me , were more important than shiny chrome gizmos....though I have both.

"Important" is in the eye of the beholder IMHO.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
If pipes aren't "important", why do the "very generous Riley mod" at all? That mod is specifically aiming to make a louder exhaust note in a cheap fashion. ***
"Important" is in the eye of the beholder IMHO.
Good question ...

First ... I like the "look" of the pipes on the Retro ... and the quality of Honda chrome ... I think it goes with the overall look on the Retro and if they weren't "stock" I would probably choose them ... I get plenty of inquiries about where to get the great looking pipes ...

Secondly ... I sort of like the "low" sound and find it rather meditative ...

Thirdly ... you simply don't get a lot of "respect" in this community unless you make a little noise ... so ... I enjoy the "middle ground" ...

Which is to my nature ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
In traffic I would occasionally like louder pipes.

I have sport bike friends, that can sneak up on you when they coast, I tell them they need to goose the gas are something or else someone might hit them.
I think of my self as a very careful and watchful driver but I have had bike silently sneak up on me before and it has startles me because I always like checking out a bike that pass by, I know that with radios thumping, some can't hear thunder, but the deep sound of a V-twin rumble does turn heads.

I have read articles and seen blogs where its been discussed both ways about loud pipes can save lives and I think it can. I just don't want the HD straight pipe loud.

My car is a Honda Hybrid (silent), and I have had people walk out in front of me so often in parking lots that I could almost hit someone. Sound is an issue while driving if it wasn't cars wouldn't need horns.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts