Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I'm having a bit of a starting issue with my bike. I've attached a link to the start up in you tube. Here is a bit of information about what is going on.

• The Battery is Walmart battery about 3 years old.
  • I have a battery charger and charged the battery over the weekend. The battery charger did not indicate that there was an issue with the battery I have one of those computerized chargers that will tel you if the battery is bad. I know they aren't infallible but just reporting all of the info available.
  • The bike started up today but when I hit the starter button I get a quick little spin then it dies for a second or two and then sins up and starts the bike.
  • I took it for a quick ride around the block about 1-2 miles.
  • when I came home because of the rain I shut it off and then attempted to restart and the same thing happened.
  • I took the starter switch apart and cleaned the terminals in the switch. there was a slight amount of green corrosion. It is all good now. (That was a process that I had been dreading but was actually not that bad at all)
  • I put it all back together and started it up and the same thing happened.
  • I then filmed the start up which is what I have linked below where it doesn't actually start. (It also reset the trip meter on this start up attempt)
  • I then hooked up my power probe to check the voltage. It was sitting on the low side of 12 volts. 12.1 to 12.2. When I hit the start button to see the voltage drop on the power probe it bounced around 5 & 7 volts in the dead spot after the quick spin. this time the bike did start and the voltage started to climb up to the Mid 13 volts. 13.5 to 13.7. I don't know how accurate the power probe is at measuring voltage drop because I don't know how fast it refreshes the reading. but at least it gives a little information

Do you think my battery is bad or do you think there is another issue or gremlin in the starting system that I need to look into. 3 years is a pretty short lifespan for a battery and the fact that my charger isn't reporting an issue makes me lean away from it being an issue with the battery. I'm open to any advise guys. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Battery has expired.
I had a Batteriesplus battery last about 15 months.

7/2017 YUASA Tech Manual
As an alternative to the load tester, the vehicles starter
motor can be used to provide the load to test the battery.
To load test the battery, cranking voltage must be measured.
Low cranking voltage will indicate that the battery is getting
tired and should be replaced. Following are the steps for
performing a battery load test using a digital voltmeter and
the vehicles starter motor.
Connect a digital voltmeter directly to the batteryred lead
to the positive terminal and black lead to negative. While
watching the voltmeter, press the start button and crank
the engines starter (its OK if the engine starts). Just before
the engine starts, note the voltmeter reading. As the starter
motor places an electrical load on the battery, cranking
voltage will normally drop. If battery voltage drops below
9.5 volts (at 70° F) while the engine is cranking over,
the battery needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what I was doing with the power probe.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had the exact symptoms on my last ride. I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal available. It finally did start and I got it home, removed the seat and found the negitive battery cable was finger tight at best. Tightened it up with a WRENCH and problem is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First thing I always check is terminal tightness, next would be a load tester that can put a decent load on the battery, i work for a parts house and have had many batteis that show good but have just enough of a internal short that when a load is place it can not make full connection and drops below 10 volts, smart chargers won't put a load like a starter or true load tester will and can give false readings

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Before replacing any parts, may I recommend good diagnosis? As others already suggested.
So of course check battery lugs.
Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and check voltage before, during and after cranking.
Also, put the voltmeter across the starter relay terminals (the big ones). It should normaly read battery voltage and close to 0V while cranking. The second number is the important one. (oxidized contacts cause voltage drop and "rob" your starter of power)
Also, starters are not bullet proof. I had to rebuild one recently (not on my VTX). The previous owner never checked it and ran the brushes "dry". Until they were all gone. Completely. The starter was running off of the wires on the commutator, causing very slow turning (due to insufficient power delivery).

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dropping down to 5 volts when cranking shows bad battery usually . the yuasa battery is generally best battery for vtx. Eo

·
Registered
448 Posts
Get a YUASA Battery best there is i always get good tires and good battery's for my bikes

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did pull the seat off and confirmed that the battery terminals were tight (They were).

I then hooked the charger up to it again & let it fully charge again.

I then hooked my power probe to the battery terminals and cranked it up a couple of times and each time the voltage dropped down to 6 volts This battery has got to have some kind of an issue.

Oh and while I had the seat off. I checked the date on the sticker. 10/17. Not even 3 years old yet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the battery this evening. Now the bike starts up like a dream. I can't be certain because the battery has been giving me that issue for some time but I think cleaning the corrosion off of the starter switch has made an improvement in its functioning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Might consider a battery tender to help the new one last longer.

·
Old Goat
25,138 Posts
Congrats OPIE...most of us have found the K.I.S.S principle is a good place to start... ;) good luck

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats OPIE...most of us have found the K.I.S.S principle is a good place to start... ;) good luck

I generally agree.. It was just strange that the battery wasn't reading as bad on the charger and that it was less than 3 years old. I can't remember a battery that lasted less than 5 years in any of any motorcycles or cars I've owned. I know the bike is getting old and wasn't sure if the starter was starting to go weather or not it could suck a battery down to 6 volts because of some extra resistance or something. Buying the battery wasn't the problem for me it was the thought of buying a battery only to find out I need to replace/rebuild the starter. That's why I like to ask questions on here before I pull the trigger on something.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
918 Posts
In all my years it's only happened a few times. But I've experienced batteries lasting <3 years, even on a charger...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts