Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started smelling antifreeze and noticed a small poddle on the ground.
Checked the hose clamps and they were loose so I tightened them and checked the level and it was a little down.
So I did not go to the dealer to get some. Instead I went to the store and bought some servicepro complete premium antifreeze coolant fully compatible formula. Now I am wondering if I did an O.K. thing? Honda say to use silicate free well this stuff does not list it on the back it says
contains "ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate, and sodium neodecanoate." It says it is safe for aluminum engines.
So is it O.K. for our VTX's? :?

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Likely not. As silicate enhanced coolant is far more popular than silicate free. Put up the name and brand of the coolant you used and I can research it at the manufacturers website. They usually say right on the bottle "Silicate Free". 8)

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Sorry I missed that. Well after looking at everything I could find on that coolant, I wouldn't use it. No where did I find the words "Silicate free" and that leads me to believe that there are silicates in it. Plus I'm a firm believer in never mixing brands of coolant. 8)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

I'm with Spike. I want it to specify NO SILICATES. If it is "Compatible with ALL brands," it must contain SOME silicates or it wouldn't be compatible with brands that contain silicates.

Bikes have such tiny cooling systems, I am paranoid. I stick with the manufacturer's brand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agrre with Spike also. Anti-freeze that contains silicates wear out our waterpumps. I don't give a shit if it's safe for aluminum engines or not (actually I do), it MUST be silicate free, and say so. JMHO WTFKIK

·
Registered
45 Posts
It doesn't say in the literature or on the label, but I'm betting this A/F is silicate-free. It's an extended life A/F, and all the ones I'm aware of in the market use an organic acid technology (OAT). I'd give them a call and check, but I'm pretty sure there are no extended life A/F's that contain silicate (sodium metasilicate is what you'd be looking for).

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
rtucker5612 said:
It doesn't say in the literature or on the label, but I'm betting this A/F is silicate-free. It's an extended life A/F, and all the ones I'm aware of in the market use an organic acid technology (OAT). I'd give them a call and check, but I'm pretty sure there are no extended life A/F's that contain silicate (sodium metasilicate is what you'd be looking for).
Exactly why I would NOT use it. If it doesn't say so on the label, you could get a person on the phone or e-mail that is just popping out answers for his 8 hour day, and will not research the correct answer for you. If it's in print, then you have that to fall on if it is not true 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts