Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD Fairings on the VTX, other fairings of choice?

I been looking for the past month at adding a fairing with radio to my
1300 Retro.

I went back 4 months on here and did some research, and found allot of people like the HD Road-king fairings as well.

Nobody ever mentions how easy it was to install a HD fairing on the VTX.

Also, WOC fairings are ABS PLASTIC , and Extreme has a plastic and a fiberglass fairing.

WOC fairing in ABS Plastic is $699.00 no stereo, and Extreme's is $499.00 in Plastic no stereo.

From what I read, everyone who has both the WOC and Extremes are very happy with thier purchases.

SO for $499.00 , for the plastic, isn't that a good starting point?

I was the HD I was looking at this one here on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=220338281453&viewitem=

Also, I noticed the top of the headlight is flat, no round like the VTX headlight, so I was wondering if anyone can post some pics from the front if you have a HD fairing on your 1300/1800 VTX.

Any other options other then spending close to $1K on a fairing ?

Also I found this somone had posted, a link how to install the HD fairing, it looks pretty comlicated:

http://www.fuziongrafix.net/misc/HD%20FLH%20Fairing%20Install.pdf

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I saw those as well as the WOC fairings. Unless I did the plastic option, the fibergalss fairing alone is $874.00 vs $499.00 for the plastic.

Anyone tried the plastic fairing?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I been looking for the past month at adding a fairing with radio to my
1300 Retro.

I went back 4 months on here and did some research, and found allot of people like the HD Road-king fairings as well.

Nobody ever mentions how easy it was to install a HD fairing on the VTX.

I was looking at this one here on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=220338281453&viewitem=

Also, I noticed the top of the headlight is flat, no round like the VTX headlight, so I was wondering if anyone can post some pics from the front if you have a HD fairing on your 1300/1800 VTX.

Any other options other then spending close to $1K on a fairing ?

Also I found this somone had posted, a link how to install the HD fairing, it looks pretty comlicated:

http://www.fuziongrafix.net/misc/HD%20FLH%20Fairing%20Install.pdf

I looked at those also, just not sure is invictamotors is still in business or not. I tried calling and emailing them about their hard bags 3-4 weeks ago and no responses.

I like the xtremerevolution fairing. Same basic design and actually forms to our headlight better that any other.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10/4, from what i seen from everyones pics, xtremerevolutions look good around the headlights, Id like to go with them, but between the fairing, radio, shipping, paint , etc, Id be close to $1,500.00

I'm seriously looking for feedback with their plastic fairings, to see if anyone has them, and likes them

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Check with ZeeMan on the Louisiana Board.
I sold him a slightly scuffed HD faring with inner and he had it prepped Painted and put on his Retro.
You need Memphis shades windshield fork clamps and use the HD brackets for the Faring and they will work on the VTX.

Really turned out Fine on his bike. ( As you can see below):firstplace:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the ultra in plastic no complaints here just need to get it painted :thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just put an Extreme Revolution plastic fairing on my 1800 in October. So far I am very happy with it. The plastic is very sturdy, in some places almost 1/4" thick. The overall finish of the parts is acceptable, there were some pits in the plastic but nothing that a little time with some spot filler and sandpaper can't take care of.

I took the outer and the factory paint code to a local painter and had him sand & fill and spray the color for $150.

Before assembly I sprayed the inside of both pieces with a several coats of rubberized undercoating from Autozone to cut down on resonance from the speakers when assembled. Stay away from the edges so the pieces go together nicely.

I sprayed the outside of the inner half with sandable primer and smoothed it a little before using truck bed coating as a final coat. This gave it a nice textured finish and will cut down on glare. I got everything from Autozone and Duplicolor.

I have only a few ride with the new fairing and I am very happy with my purchase, wind protection is good, stereo is OK, speaker sound good a lower levels but turned up the bass gets kind of muddy, that could be fixed with a better quality speaker.

Only real complaint is that you must remove the speakers and covers to take the fairing apart since most of the fasteners are under them. I plan to install some small gauges and the cruise control keypad in the dash so that means I will have to take the fairing off the bike to do the install. I don't know how this compares to other fairings but is only a small inconvenience.

Installation was pretty straightforward, just take your time to get it adjusted right.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
Woody72,

Did you go with Xtreme's radio kit, or did you get your own? Also, did you get the quick-release fairing or not?

I like the idea about the textured paint for the inner, but they probably don't make that in orange! :lol: My idea is to get the inner and outer painted the same color, but I never thought about the glare. I don't really notice glare from the tank...only the chrome console and handlebar area.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your help.

So going back to the HD fairings, now that we all agree that plastic fairings are " Ok " to go with, whats involved with putting on the HD fairings.

IS their a special HD fairing,like made for a Road-king etc, or model fairing?

Can someone tell me alittle more in detail whats involved with the HD fairings mounting them?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check with ZeeMan on the Louisiana Board.
I sold him a slightly scuffed HD faring with inner and he had it prepped Painted and put on his Retro.
You need Memphis shades windshield fork clamps and use the HD brackets for the Faring and they will work on the VTX.

Really turned out Fine on his bike. ( As you can see below):firstplace:

10/4, thanks, I'm looking him up now :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
MR VTX.

I went with the radio kit from Extreme, I figured I could not buy a marine radio and speakers for less than what they were asking. $200 if I remember correctly.

For the mounting, I have an older 1800 (03') without the fork covers. I already had the Memphis fork tube mounts for my windshield so I did not have to order the kit, just reused what I had on the new fairing. There are two types of mounts for bikes with and without the tube covers so make sure to get the correct one. I would call Extreme directly and talked with one of their reps to be sure before ordering, that way you get exactly what you need.

You could always paint over the texture with the color you want. I think the next time I have the fairing off I will go over the texture with some flat black to knock down the glare even more.

FL-VTX-Rider,

Sorry for the Hijack, that was not my intention. Good luck if you go the HD route.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not at all Woody, thank you for your input in your post above, it was very helpfull

I think I'll be ordering either one without the radio.

From what I heard, I think for an extra $50 bucks then they want to charge, people have gone with the " Pyle " marine speakers, and better marine radio

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I am still waiting for the Memphis Shades fairings to come out. Waiting and waiting and waiting and.............

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am still waiting for the Memphis Shades fairings to come out. Waiting and waiting and waiting and.............

I was going to wait for theirs to, but I'm not sure if it would have the inner fairing.

If it was going to be this month or next, I would wait, but it sounds like it could be anytime this year

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 47 Posts