Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like the Bronx 975. The Pan American odd looking, I don't think it will sell well in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
I like the Bronx 975. The Pan American odd looking, I don't think it will sell well in the U.S.
I think the Pan Am is a great looking bike with the exception of the headlight. I think something a bit more traditional as a headlight would completely change the look to something a little less polarizing. Other than that it's a fine looking bike ... to me anyway. Maybe the aftermarket will rescue it here.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
I can see the Pan Am doing great out here in and around the mountains.
It looks like they got the performance specs about right too. I was afraid they'd leave that in the engineering department, but it looks like they understood where this had to go. The StreetFighter should be a bit of a beast then.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Good bye Harley Davidson of old. They are doing what every company looking to longevity does, adapt. The Pan American is a Honda Africa Twin style bike and the Bronx (why these crappy pseudo tough names) follows on from buell or sportbike platforms used everywhere. I am neither here nor there about the bikes but feel the old purists will dislike them, but they may attract a younger demographic. Even Coke has changed and tried to adapt to the changing marketplace (yes unsuccessfully in some things I know) Best of luck to Harley and hats off to them for having a go.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Pan Am is a great looking bike with the exception of the headlight. I think something a bit more traditional as a headlight would completely change the look to something a little less polarizing.
The Headlight/Fairing looks like something out of a Star Wars movie/Space 1999 tv show. The young guys in HD styling department for the Pan Am project must be science fiction fans. Also naming the bike Pan Am copying the name from (Pan Am) Airlines a company that went bankrupt. Will the name jinx this bike from being successful.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Good bye Harley Davidson of old. They are doing what every company looking to longevity does, adapt.....
Kind of. The Pan Am would have been a good place for HD to start with a new engine design, a parallel twin or four, but no, a totally new bike gets another v-twin mil.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
The Headlight/Fairing looks like something out of a Star Wars movie/Space 1999 tv show. The young guys in HD styling department for the Pan Am project must be science fiction fans. Also naming the bike Pan Am copying the name from (Pan Am) Airlines a company that went bankrupt. Will the name jinx this bike from being successful.
Agreed, that is the wart on that bike for sure. I recall reading that Pan America is the internal code name and once the bike is for sale will have a different handle. Of course, that could just be rumor, who knows for sure.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Honda already does it better and cheaper. Nobody is going to pay the inflated HD prices for those bikes.
I agree. Honda and the others, too. The demographic Harley is trying to target lately, grew up on Need For Speed kind of video games and don't care about the Harley name and won't pay the premium for it. They (also) don't care about Harley branded pirate costume or Harley gatherings/events with old farts. So, why would they pay the premium for a new (to Harley) style bike, when they can get it cheaper from an experienced manufacturer?
(It's a little bit similar to Lewi's jeans. 30 years ago there were Lewi's stores in Europe (and in big tourist destination cities in the US). And they could sell Lewi's jeans on premium price, because Lewi's was/is good quality and everybody wanted to have... (in Europe for sure). Now, younger generation doesn't know and doesn't care about Lewi's.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. Honda and the others, too. The demographic Harley is trying to target lately, grew up on Need For Speed kind of video games and don't care about the Harley name and won't pay the premium for it. They (also) don't care about Harley branded pirate costume or Harley gatherings/events with old farts. So, why would they pay the premium for a new (to Harley) style bike, when they can get it cheaper from an experienced manufacturer?
Harley's way of marketing won't work selling these new models. Harley is famous for no price tags hanging on the bikes in the showroom. Hiding the prices and high prep charges until you sit down with a salesman too see the final cost, you need to be sitting down for the price sticker shock lol. I can image at Harley events people will just look at the bikes and won't have any interest buying.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Harley's way of marketing won't work selling these new models. Harley is famous for no price tags hanging on the bikes in the showroom. Hiding the prices and high prep charges until you sit down with a salesman too see the final cost, you need to be sitting down for the price sticker shock lol. I can image at Harley events people will just look at the bikes and won't have any interest buying.
The 2 dealers we have here do post prices on the bikes. The Honda shop actually does not, at least not on all of their floor models. You need to track down a salesperson to get the info. The Harley dealers will even post an "out the door" price. This has been common here for a while now. I suppose, different regions, different policy.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Again? :lol:

Could some one tell me about the pros and cons of the dark side? I am not sure if a car tire is safe? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Again? :lol:

Could some one tell me about the pros and cons of the dark side? I am not sure if a car tire is safe? :dontknow:
LOL ... you wanted liquid cooled and overhead valves ... LOL
Fill yer boots brother.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

The type that ride these kind of bikes don't care about ugly. Just about every sport adventure bike is ugly as sin. Hell they use tool boxes and gun cases for saddle bags, so ugly don't count..

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
LOL ... you wanted liquid cooled and overhead valves ... LOL
Fill yer boots brother.
But what oil should I use?

Oh, and I have a dying need to know a way to strengthen my Highway bars?

:lol:

Reactions: ervin260 and Harkon

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
:laugh: Only use Harley oil and Harley Bar-Crete. :laugh:
But wouldn’t the hd oil leak and stain the hd bar Crete?

We might be safer if we only did that on dark side bikes. With helmeted riders. Who do burn outs.

Reactions: Harkon
1 - 20 of 22 Posts