Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm desperate! But not gonna spend $60 + for a manual.
My wife has a 07 Harley XL 883 Low.
I know, she should have bought a VTX!
I need a fiche for the fork and sliders for this bike.
Can anybody help?
There don't appear to be any online fiche listings for models after 2002. And only selected models up to that year.
HD should take a few pointers from this site and catch up a little:roll:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I checked several HD sites and did a google search. I found none that were free. However I did find a few that were very reasonable-$30 or less. Do a google search for service manual. I found 2 that were downloadable.
Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked several HD sites and did a google search. I found none that were free. However I did find a few that were very reasonable-$30 or less. Do a google search for service manual. I found 2 that were downloadable.
Jim
Thanks JIM
I also have done multiple searches, to no avail.
Nothing is even remotely available when a DIY project is in the works for a HD.
Pitiful:roll: you have to pay some idiot at the parts counter for some information that should be available online.
Every time my wife has been into the dealership, its the same old routine. Picked up some parts about 6 months ago, all for the same bike. I needed a couple of O-rings for the inspection cover. When I said, for an 07 XL 883 Low. He asked me, now what bike was that for.
My reply: A Sportster, man, a Sportster, same bike the other 883 Low parts are for.
Why do they even let people like that behind the counter?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
Been to both of those sites. I'm in the middle of something here they call "work" and have not had the time to start a profile and personally ask.
Not trying to be lazy, just thought that maybe someone had an expanded view of similar bike they could readily post up. Forks are the same from about 02 up, maybe, I think, ell I don't know, for the 1200 and 883 as long as its not an R or S model.
The deal is, she got a set of chrome sliders(perfect chrome) used! But the catch is, I now have 2 bare sliders (no other parts, seals, wipers, N_O_T_H_I_N_G), she expect me to rebuild, for her, from her existing forks. I'm sure that I would not want to reuse removed seals, wipers and such from her original forks without knowing how it comes apart. Just like to know what parts are usable and what I need to replace before I tear the front end off her bike!!!!
WAH, I hate to hear a grown man cry!:-?:dontknow::yikes:;):oops:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You are not going to find the parts listing on HD like you will for Metric bikes.

They just don't publish them.

The service manual doesn't even have the parts listing or pictures.

I do have a service manual for the Touring models and its very detailed and helpful. But no parts list.

I have watched the parts guy at the HD shop. Its painful to operate the software. I will have to defend the employees on this. You gotta start with the year and model before you can get to the specific sections.

Just asking for a saddle bag hinge for a Ultra is not going to get you far with their system.

GT

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
There are 2 different manuals.
1) is for service-service manual
2) is for parts- parts manual

I agree with spike make a thread on the sportster page on www.hdforums.com You will most likely get the info you need
Jim

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Here's some discussion. You can search the forum to find what you want - not necessary to be a member unless you don't find the answer.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/d...eral-discussions/52320-41mm-fork-rebuild.html

Otherwise, here is one of the Sportster Forums.

http://xlforum.net/index.html

Here's another..... look somewhere around page two for some part numbers.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=82517&highlight=slider+exploded&page=2

If you know which model the chrome sliders came from, you could order a rebuild kit from many different vendors. The springs and many of the other parts should interchange, but you will not know for sure until you have them apart.

Happy hunting.

http://xlforum.net/index.html

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Men
Maybe I'll have some time today to do some more research.
She thinks I can work miracles:firstplace:, and I personally will never tell her any different.:shock: She will not let anybody else touch her bike.nojoke Makes for some great brownie points.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got a ton of service manuals In PDF format. I will check and see If I have any for Harleys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts