21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
“Man’s got to know his limitations”

·
Registered
437 Posts
I fully support and applaud any rider who's able to ride all over the world. I however am also able to see the stupidity of modifying a motorcycle so it rides so poorly that you have to find work-a-rounds like a modified headlight and saddlebags full of spare parts because the bike now is literally slamming itself apart, due to poor/no suspension. Whatever admiration I have for the guy's riding distance/adventures is diminished by his determination to do it what looks like the dumbest way possible.

Sorry, just my take.
Edit : Not worth the time

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Sorry to agree with HOP but it is a dumb bike for the job. I like choppers but for short runs.This looks like way more fun to me
It's quite fascinating to see motorcyclist jumping to the defense of someone modifying a motorcycle so it rides FAR worse than stock, especially when the bike is being ridden long distances, and rattles itself apart to such an extreme the rider has to carry spare parts loaded up in the saddlebags, and had to install a special headlight to take the abuse of his mods.

Just to be clear, I never called the man stupid, because I've learned that intelligent people can behave stupidly, or make irrational (stupid) decisions and as such I've learned to comment on the stupid behavior, and try not label the person. The choice of 'knobby' tire in the front to enable some off-road stability (with the crippling extended forks) and the highly durable head lamp show some intelligence.

I think I can generalize here (and welcome anyone to debate) in stating the following:

• It is 'stupid' to knowingly modify a motorcycle such that it performs worse than it did before.
  • It is 'stupid' to knowingly modify a motorcycle such that the mod causes premature failure to other parts of the motorcycle.

The chopper 'cult' is famous for doing 'stupid' things (as defined above) to their motorcycles, mostly as sacrifices to the 'cool' factor (i.e. popular looks over functionality). To be more forgiving, lets replace 'stupid' with impractical, and I think readers will more likely to agree with my 'take'. Choppers are typically modded 'stupidly' as defined above:

They are lowered, making them bottom out sooner over bumps, and scrape metal sooner in turns, fenders are pulled off or cut decreasing protection from road grit, mud, and water spray, big tanks are replaced with small, less efficient ones, slow speed stability is decreases with long fork rakes, handlebars are raised to decrease handling, etc. etc. I totally 'get it' as I myself have modified a bike 'stupidly' (lowered it). If anyone wants to call my bike lowering a stupid mod, I'll not defend it as anything but. It made the bike corner less efficiently, and decreased the rear shock dampening so it bottomed sooner. It looked hella-cool though and I only rode the bike short hops on smooth roads, and I very, very rarely ride twisty roads. If I were riding my bike hundreds of miles and someone said my mod was 'stupid' in light of my riding, I'd totally agree.

If the modified bike in the video looked especially 'cool' due to the mods, I might understand or relate to the sacrifice of ride for the 'cool' factor, but I'm sorry the bike looks idiotic, and I'm a fan of raked and lowered motorcycles. To me there just is no reason at all for a hard tail, since soft-tail bikes provide the same look but with adequate suspension.

Reactions: El Raton

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
It's quite fascinating to see motorcyclist jumping to the defense of someone ….. “doing their own thing”.
Nope, not really all that fascinating. It’s simply called freedom. Most bikers support this. Folks choose to do things differently than you would choose. Many of us are fine with others who make choices for themselves. Even when those choices appear impractical or silly TO US. Folks who exercise their own free will don’t have to justify their choices to the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
If you think it's dumb, then you clearly don't see the reward this rider is getting from it. Not that anyone has to, and we are all entitled to an opinion, but the guy clearly loves the bike. So I say, ride 'til you put the horizon behind you. Whatever floats your boat brother. I hesitate to call names when one's passion is their own.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
If you think it's dumb, then you clearly don't see the reward this rider is getting from it. Not that anyone has to, and we are all entitled to an opinion, but the guy clearly loves the bike. So I say, ride 'til you put the horizon behind you. Whatever floats your boat brother. I hesitate to call names when one's passion is their own.
There is nothing sacred about motorcycles. If someone does something stupid to the design, we all have the freedom to critique the modification, and offer that it's "dumb" or "stupid" or any other adjective we might offer, regardless of whatever the rider gets out of it. I support a riders right to do whatever they like to a bike and have all the fun with it they can, but that doesn't mean I have to support the design, or refrain from saying I think it's stupid, impractical, or whatever.

I'm guessing you don't think this guys choice here is dumb?

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Reactions: El Raton

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
He won't be travelling around the world like that, if he was we would know about it.

It's not a chopper.

If he likes it that way, who cares.:)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I can't imagine that you could ride that thing (the cartoon like ape-hanger bike HOP posted) past any State Boy in the country and not get yanked. And you sure are not riding it far. I guess it is similar in its extremity to the bike in the OP but way more difficult to ride. And I am not impugning you HOP but, with the state of the internet one has to wonder if that is for real.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
You'd never catch me riding all day on any rigid framed bike, never mind a chopper. That's why I don't. There are many people who would never ride all day on a Harley dresser, that's why they don't. There are many who will never ride a cruiser, poor overall performance and heavy, so they don't. Many will never own a 150+HP motorcycle as such horsepower is borderline insanity, so they won't. Many will never own a super sport bike, too uncomfortable, so they don't ... and so on ...

We are all stupid I guess:unsure:

This isn't about motorcycles, or even the motorcycle he's chosen to ride. This is about the freedom to climb that mountain, even if a non-mountaineer thinks you're stupid for wanting to.

Everyone has their right to their opinion. Sometimes those opinions are better left unsaid. Especially when they cast shadows on another man's joy.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800S, 2010 Goldwing, 2009 Spyder GS
166 Posts
I saw plenty of those tall ape hangers pulled over during Dayton Bikeweek, that and guys riding wheelies ($1000 fine I believe there) saw Boss Hoss bikes there for a gathering even rode with one. That was the worst mileage my VTX ever got following that pig, still 4 times better than his :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well… somebody’s GOT to say it…

We all know that to a large group of people (maybe the majority?) our choice to put ourselves at risk and to endure the discomforts and inconveniences that are a part of motorcycle riding puts us immediately in the category of stupid decision makers. Their beliefs have never bothered me a bit.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Well… somebody’s GOT to say it…

We all know that to a large group of people (maybe the majority?) our choice to put ourselves at risk and to endure the discomforts and inconveniences that are a part of motorcycle riding puts us immediately in the category of stupid decision makers. Their beliefs have never bothered me a bit.
Most people that are risk takers don't care what others think. I'm sure the guy in the OP's video couldn't care less what I think of his motorcycle design, regardless of how many on this forum thinks he needs them to stand up for his rights, defend his decisions, and shame me for "casting shadows" on his joy. :rolleyes:

It goes without saying that there are various degrees of 'stupid'. In terms of making the choice to increase one's exposure to risk, or voluntarily put ourselves 'in harms way' one at least could argue that life without some degree of risk isn't worth living, or basically that the risk is justified by the quality of life/joy it provides when compared to a safer, more boring life.

All the above being said, if someone chooses to do something 'stupid' it's on them and if someone makes a video of the stupid and posts it, we shouldn't be surprised when someone notices the stupid, no matter how much it may be justified.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Most people that are risk takers don't care what others think. I'm sure the guy in the OP's video couldn't care less what I think of his motorcycle design, regardless of how many on this forum thinks he needs them to stand up for his rights, defend his decisions, and shame me for "casting shadows" on his joy. :rolleyes:

It goes without saying that there are various degrees of 'stupid'. In terms of making the choice to increase one's exposure to risk, or voluntarily put ourselves 'in harms way' one at least could argue that life without some degree of risk isn't worth living, or basically that the risk is justified by the quality of life/joy it provides when compared to a safer, more boring life.

All the above being said, if someone chooses to do something 'stupid' it's on them and if someone makes a video of the stupid and posts it, we shouldn't be surprised when someone notices the stupid, no matter how much it may be justified.
He does have an Instagram account, and you are free to tell him how you feel .

That would be effective?:sneaky:

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
He does have an Instagram account, and you are free to tell him how you feel .

That would be effective?:sneaky:
I wouldn't dream of 'casting shadows on his joy'. My comments were meant for our readers and the OP, who was looking for a reaction to the video. If peeps don't like my reaction, well this just casts shadows on my joy (((sniff, sniff))).:p

• Haha
Reactions: Krom

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
This whole discussion got stupid IMHO.
It got stupid when peeps decide to argue it's wrong to point out something stupid.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
21 - 40 of 66 Posts