Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The guy with the chopper is only looking for attention and he got plenty of it here which could be called stupid.;)

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
No I have no problem with this guy but think he is more looking for attention than freedom and adventure like in Easy Rider😊

Harkon:
"Sometimes those opinions are better left unsaid. Especially when they cast shadows on another man's joy."
Smile Gesture Font Beard Happy

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
You point it out to me and I'll show how you're wrong...

:p
You do love to protract these things. Oh well, I'm shoving off. If ya can't see it, that's fine. It's all good. :)

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Guess who I ran across today?

I was driving our company vehicle down the block, (in Goleta CA) and parked at the curb was the bike/rider in the OP's video and the topic of this thread! I pulled over and walked close to the rider, (look close and you'll see part of him behind the palm tree) fully planning on talking to him about this thread and was going to ask him about his bike, but he was fully immersed in his phone conversation. I decided to take a few photo's, ( the two below) and then I stood there for a long time waiting for him to get off the phone, but it began getting 'weird' for both of us, with him looking at me like, "WTF does this guy want?"

Sadly, I left without talking to him, as I fully intended on asking him why he choose to modify his bike for the hardest ride possible? I did a quick Google search and found the interview in the link below, and in that interview he actually answers (see quote) why he decided to ride a rigid chopper, verses a more practical bike. Also in the interview he explains at least a little sanity in addressing the complete lack of suspension by explaining, "I am a darksider, as in, I use a car tire on the rear. I do this for two reasons. One, with my complete lack of suspension I can run the car tire at a very low pressure to assist in keeping my kidney in its proper place, and two, I get way more miles out of car tire than I would ever get out of a motorcycle tire."

Why do I ride a machine like this you ask? That’s an excellent question that’s difficult to pinpoint the answer to but I’ll do my best. I suppose I like the challenge of it and the different-ness of it.

Additionally, I feel like there is a huge negative stigma around Harley riders, chopper riders in particular, that we are nothing more than a bunch of bar hoppers that are scared to cross a city limit line let alone a state or country line.

As I am fully aware that there is some truth to this (sadly), it is not entirely the case. There are in fact plenty of Harley guys out there putting down huge miles to remote and distant places.

I enjoy breaking from that norm and essentially being the ADV rider who left his ADV bike at home and showed up on his chopper.

Do I do it for the attention? No. Do I do it because I think it’s the most fun thing imaginable and to show the world that “choppers can do”? Probably.

Am I a one-man crusade out to change everyone’s mind about chopper jockeys? No, that would be a pointless waste of time. More than anything it’s because, up until a few years ago, it was the only bike I owned and I sure wasn’t going to let the bike stop me from seeing all the amazing places this spinning blue ball has to offer.
Source: 'Traveling Chopper', Long Bike, Long Adventure - Adventure Rider

So, it appears that at least the guy has some reasoning as to why he's purposely riding a bike modified to ride uncomfortable and impractically for what it's being used for. He's trying to prove something, (show what "choppers can do") so at least there is some sense to what appeared to me to be senseless or idiotic behavior.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Lastly, the guy lives in Colorado, so I was astounded at running across the guy only 13 days after writing about him in this forum. What are the chances??? They must be astronomical that I would just happen to see him parked down the block from where I work, and that I would happen to ride past him when I very rarely even leave work in the middle of the day in our company truck to run an errand. It's a bit of a TWILIGHT ZONE moment honestly ❗

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What a bonus! I'm guessing he realized you knew his story.

You missed the "moment" , really too bad for me/us.:):cool:

Good pictures though.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess who I ran across today?

I was driving our company vehicle down the block, (in Goleta CA) and parked at the curb was the bike/rider in the OP's video and the topic of this thread! I pulled over and walked close to the rider, (look close and you'll see part of him behind the palm tree) fully planning on talking to him about this thread and was going to ask him about his bike, but he was fully immersed in his phone conversation. I decided to take a few photo's, ( the two below) and then I stood there for a long time waiting for him to get off the phone, but it began getting 'weird' for both of us, with him looking at me like, "WTF does this guy want?"

Sadly, I left without talking to him, as I fully intended on asking him why he choose to modify his bike for the hardest ride possible? I did a quick Google search and found the interview in the link below, and in that interview he actually answers (see quote) why he decided to ride a rigid chopper, verses a more practical bike. Also in the interview he explains at least a little sanity in addressing the complete lack of suspension by explaining, "I am a darksider, as in, I use a car tire on the rear. I do this for two reasons. One, with my complete lack of suspension I can run the car tire at a very low pressure to assist in keeping my kidney in its proper place, and two, I get way more miles out of car tire than I would ever get out of a motorcycle tire."

Source: 'Traveling Chopper', Long Bike, Long Adventure - Adventure Rider

So, it appears that at least the guy has some reasoning as to why he's purposely riding a bike modified to ride uncomfortable and impractically for what it's being used for. He's trying to prove something, (show what "choppers can do") so at least there is some sense to what appeared to me to be senseless or idiotic behavior.

View attachment 198971

View attachment 198972

Lastly, the guy lives in Colorado, so I was astounded at running across the guy only 13 days after writing about him in this forum. What are the chances??? They must be astronomical that I would just happen to see him parked down the block from where I work, and that I would happen to ride past him when I very rarely even leave work in the middle of the day in our company truck to run an errand. It's a bit of a TWILIGHT ZONE moment honestly ❗

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I missed you, I was in fact immersed in a conversation that I couldn’t cut short. I was clued into this thread via Facebook so thought I would check it out…interesting comments…especially from you. So, I thought I would take a minute to address a couple of them. Yes, I took a stock Harley Softail and turned into what you see now. Why? Because I wanted to. I love custom bikes, choppers and basically anything that has been modified to fit a persons needs or character. I’ve been riding this motorcycle for 16 years and I love it. Do I ride it for the attention as stated by a few of you? No. Then why? Because like I said, I love custom motorcycles and it’s what I enjoy riding. I just sold my 2017 BMW R1200GSA a few weeks ago because it is hands down the most boring and unadventurous adventure bike I’ve ever ridden. In regards to the spare parts I’m carrying: they are parts that could fail from use, not from rattling off. When you’ve put over 238,000 miles on a bike and intend on taking it to Siberia you’d better be prepared. So, do some people think the bike is “stupid”? Sure, and that’s perfectly fine with me. We all choose the bikes we ride for one reason or another. Is it the “best” bike for an around the world adventure? Obviously not, but isn’t the challenge part of the adventure? There’s no “right” way of doing this ride except for the way that puts the biggest smile on your face. And, my friend, I couldn’t be smiling any bigger. If you would like to join me on a fully equipped and suspended adventure bike you are more then welcome, we will have a great time.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Sorry I missed you, I was in fact immersed in a conversation that I couldn’t cut short. I was clued into this thread via Facebook so thought I would check it out…interesting comments…especially from you. So, I thought I would take a minute to address a couple of them. Yes, I took a stock Harley Softail and turned into what you see now. Why? Because I wanted to. I love custom bikes, choppers and basically anything that has been modified to fit a persons needs or character. I’ve been riding this motorcycle for 16 years and I love it. Do I ride it for the attention as stated by a few of you? No. Then why? Because like I said, I love custom motorcycles and it’s what I enjoy riding. I just sold my 2017 BMW R1200GSA a few weeks ago because it is hands down the most boring and unadventurous adventure bike I’ve ever ridden. In regards to the spare parts I’m carrying: they are parts that could fail from use, not from rattling off. When you’ve put over 238,000 miles on a bike and intend on taking it to Siberia you’d better be prepared. So, do some people think the bike is “stupid”? Sure, and that’s perfectly fine with me. We all choose the bikes we ride for one reason or another. Is it the “best” bike for an around the world adventure? Obviously not, but isn’t the challenge part of the adventure? There’s no “right” way of doing this ride except for the way that puts the biggest smile on your face. And, my friend, I couldn’t be smiling any bigger. If you would like to join me on a fully equipped and suspended adventure bike you are more then welcome, we will have a great time.
Thanks for showing up here.:LOL: We'll be watching...following.:cool:

41 - 60 of 66 Posts