Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Maine from Ohio. I'm going by way of New York City then straight up the coast. Has anyone done this ride before? If so can you advise any must see places. We are going all the way up to Eastport. We plan to stay right next to the coast and eat lots of lobster. I'm just seek some neat places to check out or travel tips for that area.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Out of NYC... stay off I-95 northbound during rush hour... lets say from like 3:00 to 6:30pm or your left hand will look like popeye and you'll bake in the sun till you get next to one of the hundred of 18 wheelers to grant you some shade.

I would suggest the Hutchison Parkway to the Merrit Parkway (rt 15) in CT. which turns into the Wilber Cross Parkway almost to Hartford, CT. those parkways ban commercail traffic and is listed as one of those national senic hiways. Tree lined, very pretty. This road is also jammed during rush hour too.
Not sure if your going lets say north on I-95 in New Haven, CT if you do you can jump off I-95 and head up rt 1 which runs along the coast from time to time... it will be slower going thru towns etc. and you can always shoot off roads (rt 146) and hug the coast for a few miles till you get back onto either rt 1 or I-95
Going thru Boston is no picnic either...

Plan your trip northbound wisely grasshooper and enjoy

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I would head north out of NYC, then cut across VT and NH if you have the time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Regarding places to see, I would highly recommend Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. These are just south down the coast off of route 1, on Mt. Desert Island. The park has a number of trails for varying levels of hiking ability, and some really beautiful views. Bar Harbor has lots of good restaurants and shopping. I would recommend going to Testa's for a mint julep like you've never had before, if you're into that sort of thing. This is about a 3 hour ride according to Google Maps. :click:Here's a link.

[EDIT]You should do this on the way, I guess, since you're going straight up the coast from NY.

Oh, and on your way to the island, stop at Trenton Bridge lobster pound! Mmmmmm, lobsterrrrrr...

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Rockland, Maine is a great little town. You can go down to the docks and buy seafood directly from the fishermen as they offload. The ride inland from there to Augusta is very nice too. I'm with Poison as far as routing, much nicer ride to shoot up the Thruway (I-87) and then cut east. Hugging the coast will take you through one old industrial city after the other. If you are intent on going into NYC avoid the tourist traps, places like the HD cafe and Hard Rock. Head on down to the lower East Side, check out Psyhco Mongos on the corner of Houston and 1st on a Friday nite, it'll blow your mind. And, as previously stated, do your damndest to avoid traveling anywhere within 75 miles of NYC between 7-9 am and 3-6 pm. If you hit it on a weekday the trip up to the outdoor observation deck on the Empire State Building is really cool.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I lived in MA and went to ME alot in the past and I would say arom MA to ME avoid 95 on a Friday unless you go real early. Hampton tolls back up really bad. You can always take 1 and 1A from Northern MA to NH into ME, this is a nice ride and hugs the coast line. Stay away from 1 as much as possible too on a Friday.

Maine has great coast line and route 1 follows it more than 95. I'm headed to Bar Harbor this summer from mountains of NH where I live now and I will get over to the Portland area or north via back roads then take 95 for a bit then follow route 3 into Bar Harbor.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a tough one to answer, it all depends on some of the things that you want to do and see. Some highlites from someone who has lived here his entire life, do a google search and decide for yourself what you want to see.

- Mt. Washington Auto Road - not for anyone who is even a little scared of heights, there is also the cog railroad.
- North Conway is a great place to stay/shop
- Rte 1 (not 1a) from Northern Mass to Portsmouth NH is awsome, goes through Hampton Beach (cruising nights are common) Rocky coast, beautiful stretches of road for cruising at 25 - 35
- Nubble Light House and York Harbor, most photographed lighthouse in the State, great beach, shops, restaurants.
- Portland Headlight is a great stop.
- Portland's Old Port 200+ bars & taverns right beside Casco Bay
- LL Bean in Freeport open 24 hrs a day 365.25 days a year
- Kittery Trading Post and Outlet Malls in Kittery, Maine
- Acadia National Park, but more specifically Cadillac Mountain at sunrise (first piece of the USA that the sunlight touches everyday)
- Bar Harbor
- All of US Rte 1.
- Lago's Lone Oak Ice Cream Rte 1 NH
- The Pier in Old Orchard Beach
- Kennebunkport

If it was me my wife, I would try to hit Boston in the middle of the day, get a hotel and tour the city Thaniel Hall, Old Ironsides, Fenway Park, the Prudential Building, Harvard Square, any of the old Pubs near the Garden & North Station.
Get up early the next morning and make my way to North Conway following Rte 1 once I was near New Hampshire. Take Rte 16 Spaulding Turnpike from Portsmouth the rest of the way. Get a hotel by early afternoon and head for the Auto Road up Mt Washington. It will be cold up there! Spend the night at a local Eatery/shopping (for the wife of course :wink: .
Head out for York Harbor, then Portland's old port for lunch, then make my way out along U.S. 1 try to hit Bar Harbor for the evening and grab a hotel.
Get up real early for the sunrise on Mt Cadillac, spend the morning in Bar Harbor and finish out the ride by evening.

·
Registered
622 Posts
VTreX 1800 said:
This is a tough one to answer, it all depends on some of the things that you want to do and see. Some highlites from someone who has lived here his entire life, do a google search and decide for yourself what you want to see.

- Mt. Washington Auto Road - not for anyone who is even a little scared of heights, there is also the cog railroad.
- North Conway is a great place to stay/shop
- Rte 1 (not 1a) from Northern Mass to Portsmouth NH is awsome, goes through Hampton Beach (cruising nights are common) Rocky coast, beautiful stretches of road for cruising at 25 - 35
- Nubble Light House and York Harbor, most photographed lighthouse in the State, great beach, shops, restaurants.
- Portland Headlight is a great stop.
- Portland's Old Port 200+ bars & taverns right beside Casco Bay
- LL Bean in Freeport open 24 hrs a day 365.25 days a year
- Kittery Trading Post and Outlet Malls in Kittery, Maine
- Acadia National Park, but more specifically Cadillac Mountain at sunrise (first piece of the USA that the sunlight touches everyday)
- Bar Harbor
- All of US Rte 1.
- Lago's Lone Oak Ice Cream Rte 1 NH
- The Pier in Old Orchard Beach
- Kennebunkport

If it was me my wife, I would try to hit Boston in the middle of the day, get a hotel and tour the city Thaniel Hall, Old Ironsides, Fenway Park, the Prudential Building, Harvard Square, any of the old Pubs near the Garden & North Station.
Get up early the next morning and make my way to North Conway following Rte 1 once I was near New Hampshire. Take Rte 16 Spaulding Turnpike from Portsmouth the rest of the way. Get a hotel by early afternoon and head for the Auto Road up Mt Washington. It will be cold up there! Spend the night at a local Eatery/shopping (for the wife of course :wink: .
Head out for York Harbor, then Portland's old port for lunch, then make my way out along U.S. 1 try to hit Bar Harbor for the evening and grab a hotel.
Get up real early for the sunrise on Mt Cadillac, spend the morning in Bar Harbor and finish out the ride by evening.
That's a very nice itinerary, but just for the sake of accuracy, it's Faneuil Hall you were referring to in Boston. And "Old Ironsides" real name is the USS Constitution. :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
and for accuracy, route 1a is the route to take to get off of 1. 1a brings you through rye and other ocean areas. it also splits off in northeastern ma before you get to georgetown and rowley so that you can head into newburyport. I lived on the coast of ma on the north shore and would take this route.

Once in portsmouth head over the river and for 103 and go up through kittery point into york. I just did this route last week.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your headed to Maine from Ohio and I'm headed to Ohio from Maine. I'm taking the family to Cedar Point for a long weekend next Friday. Of course I'll be in an SUV and you'll be on the bike so you win out on that one. :D :D
I agree with VTreX1800
Once you get to Maine I suggest you run up RT1. You'll hit some traffic during Friday afternoons and rush hour times but it's worth it.
Places to see;
Mt Washington Auto Road in NH(But I agree, if you're not comfortable with heights pass on it)
The Old Port in Portland is fun and a lot of places to see and good food to eat.
Bar Harbor is beautiful
Old Orchard Beach is a tourist trap but if your into that go for it. :)
The Portland Head Light, Two Lights and Fort Williams is all on the same road in South Portland (I think Rt77) and very cool places to visit.
LL Beans and the Freeport Area is cool
If you want to take a break from riding for an afternoon, take the Ferry in Casco Bay. The ferry leaves Portland and brings you to some of the islands in Casco Bay. That's pretty cool even for Mainah. :D

You probably don't have time to do this, but if you do try this. When I take off with my wife for day rides I head North from Portland on Rt1. From RT1 I randomly take local roads heading East towards the Ocean. Sometimes the roads aren't very long because you eventually hit water. :D :D But sometimes you stumble across small coves on the shore were you can stop and take in the sights that are of the beaten path. Very cool, but time consuming!

No matter where you go in Maine you're sure to run into something cool to see. Relax, enjoy your ride take in the sights.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you get up to bangor take highway 2 back home, that road is awesome. take it all the way to rt 4 in nh and then get on rt5 to us 20 in ny

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the great tips. I will be sure to travel outside of rush hour. When I get back I will post a couple of my pics. I do plan to hit some of the bars LOL You guys have been a big help I'm going to print your replies and take them with me

Thanks Again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts