Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey friends, happy new year to all. i have a question about head light bulbs. i did a lot of night highway riding this past summer and i noticed that the headlight on my 2005 vtx 1300R doesnt do that great of a job. i figured this out when i ran past a big chunk of re-tread laying in the road at 65mph and didnt see it till i was about to hit it. what options are out there for replacement headlight bulbs that will do a much better job?? and any links to where i can find them would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm running a PIAA motorcycle H4 & like it!! Much brighter, whiter light.:cool:
Many on this forum have suggested the Sylvania silverstar bulb. I tried the Sylvania silverstar car bulb (No SS motorcycle H4 available around here) but they just did not last for me. 2 bulbs in 6 months, I think they just shook apart.:-? No such issues with the PIAA.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I'm running a PIAA motorcycle H4 & like it!! Much brighter, whiter light.:cool:
Many on this forum have suggested the Sylvania silverstar bulb. I tried the Sylvania silverstar car bulb (No SS motorcycle H4 available around here) but they just did not last for me. 2 bulbs in 6 months, I think they just shook apart.:-? No such issues with the PIAA.
But Sylvania DOES make a silverstar for motorcycles. The one in my bike has been on for about 20,000 miles and is alot brighter than stock.
Get some driving lights also. Lots of options here. I have the Optronics from Walmart, about $15.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Been running the Silverstar Motorcycle H4 bulb for yrs which can be had at any (well most around here) autoparts store for like $20 a bulb.
Spendy but worth it IMO.

BUT... you have a RETRO my friend which has been crying out ever since you threw a leg over her to buy her a lightbar... she has purposely blinked her eyes everytime she sees danger on the road just to scare the hell outta you so you'll purchase her a lightbar... Go do it man! She'll love you forever!!

The girlfriend wouldn't ride the 1300 (@ night) I bought her until after a installed a lightbar... I have hondaline which has 35w bulbs and all I'll say is I can see deer out in the fields at night where my buddy who has just a headlight can't see them at all. I couldn't amagine the folks who run 55w bulbs can see :shock:
I went hondline because with the R it's plug&play and didn't need to install relay and wire stuff... I do enough of that at work.

The other factor I like about lightbars is being all lite up during the day gives that imaginary false sense of security that everyone can see you ;) :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
GO with HID !!!

Forget all the $20 bulbs, trust me, I had them all.

Order yourself a HID Kit, they run about $170.00 bucks, and there plug & Play

I just ordred mine Tuesday, and its coming in today

See here:

http://www.customdynamics.com/hid_headlight_kits.htm

Then I ordered a GOOD set of driving lights,

1100X Platinum Lamp Kit

Super White driving lamps
Features silver PPS housing and chrome-plated aluminum trim ring
Kit includes: two lamps, wiring harness, relay and switch
12V Dichroic 55W=85W Super White bulbs

Now tell me how a $20.00 lightbulb compares to all that!

If you really want to see going down the road, they spend the money and go with what I did I my bike, and you'll never have anything to worry about again as far as seeing down the road :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
A bulb replacement to a brighter bulb will be my next mod as well. Thanks for the timely advise.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Now tell me how a $20.00 lightbulb compares to all that!
IMO the silverstar does compare. It isn't as bright or white as an HID, but it reaches farther. Ever notice the super defined line of light vs. no light that an HID produces? Silverstars don't do that.

And i'll speak for myself and say that if i was going to spend close to 300 dollars on lights, it better come with a lightbar AND give me a reacharound, cuz youch..300 dollars is a lot of chrome...especially when the wally-world running lights look just about as good.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
IMO the silverstar does compare. It isn't as bright or white as an HID, but it reaches farther. Ever notice the super defined line of light vs. no light that an HID produces? Silverstars don't do that.

And I'll speak for myself and say that if i was going to spend close to 300 dollars on lights, it better come with a lightbar AND give me a reach around, cuz youch..300 dollars is a lot of chrome...especially when the wally-world running lights look just about as good.

First you say quote " the silver star does compare. It isn't as bright or white as an HID, " That statement is correct, its not as bright or as white.

Then you say" but it reaches farther" - So if its not as bright, or as white, how does it reach further< Id like to heard this one.

I compared my Silver star $20 bulb, then went to a Piaa Anti Vibration Extreme White bulb, for $60.00 , then went to HID on my last VTX.

The HID illuminated the road all most 3X more further then the bulbs your comparing. The HID light light up the florescent dividers down the road for over a 1/4 mile. Does your Silver star bulb that YOU had said isn't as bright or as white as a HID do that? NO, Because I know, because I actually took a few hours doing a survey the last time, measuring the distance of those lights.

The " Defined " light that your talking about on HID is called " Cutoff "
they are so bright, they have a " Cutoff " on the good HID lights so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Your next quote says " especially when the wally-world running lights look just about as good.[/quote]

Your right, thats the only thing the wally-world lights have is looks, again, your trying to compare a $20.00 of driving lights to Piaa's $250.00 set of driving lights.

So you continue to drive around thinking your lighting up the road, and when someone goes by you with my set up, and can safely drive down a highway at 70 mph at night, because I can see 3X further then you, I know I don't have to worry about crashing my bike and killing myself because I couldn't see.

Bottom line : You get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
First you say quote " the silver star does compare. It isn't as bright or white as an HID, " That statement is correct, its not as bright or as white.

Then you say" but it reaches farther" - So if its not as bright, or as white, how does it reach further< Id like to heard this one.

I compared my Silver star $20 bulb, then went to a Piaa Anti Vibration Extreme White bulb, for $60.00 , then went to HID on my last VTX.

The HID illuminated the road all most 3X more further then the bulbs your comparing. The HID light light up the florescent dividers down the road for over a 1/4 mile. Does your Silver star bulb that YOU had said isn't as bright or as white as a HID do that? NO, Because I know, because I actually took a few hours doing a survey the last time, measuring the distance of those lights.

The " Defined " light that your talking about on HID is called " Cutoff "
they are so bright, they have a " Cutoff " on the good HID lights so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Your next quote says " especially when the wally-world running lights look just about as good.

Your right, thats the only thing the wally-world lights have is looks, again, your trying to compare a $20.00 of driving lights to Piaa's $250.00 set of driving lights.

So you continue to drive around thinking your lighting up the road, and when someone goes by you with my set up, and can safely drive down a highway at 70 mph at night, because I can see 3X further then you, I know I don't have to worry about crashing my bike and killing myself because I couldn't see.

Bottom line : You get what you pay for
HID isn't for everyone.

I've had them and love them. . . but truth be told, there are other options out there that' will provide better then stock lighting for a he!! of a lot less then the cost of true HID.

I will agree that you get what you pay for. . . and when those expensive ballasts go bad (which has happened to me) you're stuck with no light instead of no low beam or high beam, depending. . . but I guess that's where the $250 driving lights come in. . . :shock::D

I loved my HID's in my car though. . they were really bright, and IMO you really can't compare any standard halogen to them for brightness or visibility.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
VTX1300cnME,

I agree with most of your post, except for the fact that the cost of a good HID light today is $179.00 - they just had a 10% discount year end , so I paid $161.00 . Now lets say he pays $46.00 for the Piaa light bulb, and say $10 bucks for shipping, so he's at $56.00. I didn't pay shipping because its over $150.00

So they way I look at it, the original poster said he does allot of nighttime driving on the hwy, at speeds at 65mph.

Ok, with a Halogen bulb, even with the Piaa, it will be brighter in front of the bike, but not bright enough to get out of somethings way, by the time he see;s it, traveling at 65 mph, he's all ready ran it over, and hopefully didn't loose control of the bike.

The reason why every-time I buy a motorcycle, this is my 9th bike, first thing I do is light up the front, for visibility reasons, ( safety ) for oncoming cars during the day, and switch to a HID headlight, to project the light further down the road, so when I do see something in the road at night while driving , I have time to steer the bike out of its path.

The 2nd thing I do, Is light up the rear of the bike, so at night time I have a better chance of someone seeing me from the rear, then just the stock running tail light, which is a waste.

Now, back to the original poster. All though HID is not for everyone, if he really does do allot of highway driving at night, or any driving at night, a extra $100 bucks is a small price to pay for safety, especially when it comes to seeing things in the road on a highway.

I ride with a bunch of sport bikes, I owned about 5 myself, and we all run HID headlights, because of safety reasons, traveling high speeds on the highway at night, you need to light to project out as far as possible.

So he asked for an opinion, and I really don't think he will accomplish what he's trying to do, for highway driving with just halogen bulb. So I gave my opinion.

I only own my bike 3 weeks now, and just spent this week alone $600.00 lighting up the front of the bike for safety reasons, because myself to, I do allot of driving at night on highways, middle of Florida through farms where their are a ton of dear, etc.

Every-time I ride with a pack of motorcycles from my club etc, in the past with my last VTX, they would put me in front to light up everything, and every-time we stopped, everyone would compliment how well my VTX lite up the road, off to the sides where the deer where, etc.

Last bike I had a lightbar, with the Sylvia's, Piaa, halogen bulb and then went to HID, and the difference night and day, so this time I opted to just spend the money, and remind myself that when it comes to your life, or loosing your bike, a few hundred dollars compared to the thousands all ready spent on the bike, are worth it for safety.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
getting HID done for 80$ installed. and lifetime warrenty... local shop that has been doing it for years...

:congrats:

Let us know how you like it !!!

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
VTX1300cnME,

I agree with most of your post, except for the fact that the cost of a good HID light today is $179.00 - they just had a 10% discount year end , so I paid $161.00 . Now lets say he pays $46.00 for the Piaa light bulb, and say $10 bucks for shipping, so he's at $56.00. I didn't pay shipping because its over $150.00

So they way I look at it, the original poster said he does allot of nighttime driving on the hwy, at speeds at 65mph.

Ok, with a Halogen bulb, even with the Piaa, it will be brighter in front of the bike, but not bright enough to get out of somethings way, by the time he see;s it, traveling at 65 mph, he's all ready ran it over, and hopefully didn't loose control of the bike.

The reason why every-time I buy a motorcycle, this is my 9th bike, first thing I do is light up the front, for visibility reasons, ( safety ) for oncoming cars during the day, and switch to a HID headlight, to project the light further down the road, so when I do see something in the road at night while driving , I have time to steer the bike out of its path.

The 2nd thing I do, Is light up the rear of the bike, so at night time I have a better chance of someone seeing me from the rear, then just the stock running tail light, which is a waste.

Now, back to the original poster. All though HID is not for everyone, if he really does do allot of highway driving at night, or any driving at night, a extra $100 bucks is a small price to pay for safety, especially when it comes to seeing things in the road on a highway.

I ride with a bunch of sport bikes, I owned about 5 myself, and we all run HID headlights, because of safety reasons, traveling high speeds on the highway at night, you need to light to project out as far as possible.

So he asked for an opinion, and I really don't think he will accomplish what he's trying to do, for highway driving with just halogen bulb. So I gave my opinion.

I only own my bike 3 weeks now, and just spent this week alone $600.00 lighting up the front of the bike for safety reasons, because myself to, I do allot of driving at night on highways, middle of Florida through farms where their are a ton of dear, etc.

Every-time I ride with a pack of motorcycles from my club etc, in the past with my last VTX, they would put me in front to light up everything, and every-time we stopped, everyone would compliment how well my VTX lite up the road, off to the sides where the deer where, etc.

Last bike I had a lightbar, with the Sylvia's, Piaa, halogen bulb and then went to HID, and the difference night and day, so this time I opted to just spend the money, and remind myself that when it comes to your life, or loosing your bike, a few hundred dollars compared to the thousands all ready spent on the bike, are worth it for safety.

Hope this helps
:agree:

Yep. Like you, I was voicing my opinion. . . :thumbup:

It's good that people offer a variety of options instead of just the same old. . .

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
FL VTX Rider,

I noticed this on that site you posted:
Note: These kits are not yet DOT approved, and may not be approved in all states. Please check local and state laws before ordering.
What model HID did you buy? And are they legal in FL? I'd hate to drop $170 and not pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
FL VTX Rider,

I noticed this on that site you posted:
Note: These kits are not yet DOT approved, and may not be approved in all states. Please check local and state laws before ordering.
What model HID did you buy? And are they legal in FL? I'd hate to drop $170 and not pass inspection.

Hey Scup,

Thats a good point. Here In Florida, we don't have vehicle inspections like NY, NJ, and so on , where every year you have to have your vehicle inspected.

I can tell you, from what i read in the past, What we are doing to our bikes, cars, SUV's etc, is called a " Retrofit " and is not legal from what I heard.

Car manufactures that make specific housings designed for HID lamps, are legal, such as BMW, Audi etc.

The difference is those housings are " Projector " Style housings, as they shine the light In a specific area, and don't blind on coming traffic.

The housings that we are " retrofitting " are mostly " Reflector " style housings, where the light reflects off the back of the housing, then shines on the road.

The problem with retrofitting is sometimes the light shines all over, into the tress, oncoming cars, its not directed into a tight spot light, like the Projector style HID lights designed for HID's.

So to answerer your questions, I'm not sure if it would be legal where you live, or anywhere in US.

I would say to answerer your question, drive around at night, and see if their are allot of people driving around with HID lights installed , that aren't BMW's, and Audi, Lexus, and so on, that are retrofits, and if your comfortable with that, then install them, if not, then don't.

I'll give you an example, I just sold a 2005 Gold-wing , and put HID's on that as well, as well as LED lights. In my state , blue LED's are illegal, if you can see them from the front of the bike, Here's a picture of my bike lite up at night, and I drove around all the time with them on, and never got pulled over :

I think if I was out breaking the law by driving recklessly, or speeding, etc, the Leos would pull me over. But a bike driving down the road, not driving recklessly, all lite up for show, I would find it hard to believe they would actually stop me and give me a ticket.

I did receive a " Warning " at Oktoberfest in Daytona, but there they were pulling everyone over.

So I think you should do what you feel comfortable with.

FYI, I have V&H Big Shots exhaust on my bike, they are now measuring
noise DB's here in Florida in certain areas, so who knows what will be next.

FYI, I also have HID lights in my 2005 Honda CR-V, ( 10000K ) and just put them in my wifes 2005 Honda Accord for Christmas. She couldn't see driving down the road at night, and always drove my CR-V at night because I had the HID's in it, so I got a set of ( 6000K ) for Christmas, and she loves them :)

PS, I've had them in my last 4 bikes, and never got stopped, maybe it's just lucky , or maybe the Leo's just don;t waste their time writing a small ticket like that, don't know, but all auto manufactures should start installing them, they are wonderful.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
FL VTX Rider

Thx for that info and the gl looks sweet...

So would it be safe to say you run the 6000k HID bulb on your bikes?

I worked with a guy who explained to me that true HID lights get HOT and the folks who just stick them in as replacements had problems with melting plastic in the OEM light bucket housing (I'm talking automobiles here)

Is that a problem with the Motorcycle HID bulb or is the ballast the major heat source and is the ballast mounted under the tank, frame?

Do you have a problem with reflection action in the VTX bucket or are you 'retrofitting' the headlight bucket for better reflection?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to be the HID guru here ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts