Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a classic style headlight that mounts directly in place of ours. I know the vt1100 shadow works as do most late model honda ones. My concern would be that all that wiring crammed into the light needs a decent sized light. :confused: Mabye I could just wrap the whole wire cluster in black tape and hang it behind a smaller light.

Any suggestions or experiences?

·
Old Goat
25,504 Posts
I've never looked.

Why?

VTX.
BEST. LOOKING. BUCKET. EVER. :thumbup:
:agree:..but having said that..I dont know if it qualifies for classic but the Victory bucket is sweet..........good luck on your choice OP....

·
Registered
535 Posts
i was wondering that myself? :dontknow: i watch that american choppers and those shows and some of them are putting on headlinght buckets like our x's ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever your into is best

i was wondering that myself? :dontknow: i watch that american choppers and those shows and some of them are putting on headlinght buckets like our x's ..
I suppose it come down to personal taste. Im going for more of an old school, sleeper type bike rather than a showy raked/stretched space-aged thing like on that OCC show. I know for looks, a harley or even older model japanese bike would be an easier bike to start with, but you cant beat the vtx for performance value in a mid/large cubic inch bike.

Also, the way the cowl sticks out 1-3 inches past the actual bulb blocks off some of the light produced. Im not sold on the functionality of a headlight with a visor cowl deal like that.

I was at a shop the other day and it looks like the 750s or even a v-star headlight might mount up the same way. Big enough for all that wiring too. hmm...

·
Registered
246 Posts
headlight

hey "wompin", let me know what you find on the headlight. I have hated that stock headlight for 8 years and 82 thousand miles now and have really gotten nowhere with the change as other things seem to take priority.
Thanks
Socks

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I even put a 3 inch self designed custom extention to really accent it and stretch the bike.
I also built my own headlight extender. I used a billet aluminum plate I had laying around.

Now, not only is that beautiful bucket further out front, the extender allowed me to lower the postition of the Switchblade mounts so I could put my shield right where I wanted it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Also, the way the cowl sticks out 1-3 inches past the actual bulb blocks off some of the light produced.
Im not sold on the functionality of a headlight with a visor cowl deal like that.
The entire shell reflector is advanced focused light to get it forward as much as possible.

If the filament moved forward, it becomes a flood light vs a spot light.
At night, any haze in the air, stray light is your worst enemy to see clearly.
Visors help shield stray light upwards, where you're looking through.
Studio lights use barn doors to control stray light.

Can be simulated with variable focused flashlight from spot to flood.

Fog / driving light designs with flat wide beam sitting low is a huge upgrade to night lighting.
HID being the final upgrade.

Going old school theme, there are some very spendy advanced lamps out there.
$1k would not be hard to do in lighting.
Was trying to find sample to post, maybe later.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
My concern would be that all that wiring crammed into the light needs a decent sized light. :confused: Mabye I could just wrap the whole wire cluster in black tape and hang it behind a smaller light.

Any suggestions or experiences?
Some have moved the wires to under the tank, so that is always an option if the head light you chose does not have enough room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts