Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do all the headlight modulators use high beam to modulate or does someone make one thats uses low beam . see i have light bar and like the bar on all the time with low beams on more visable. would like to put modulator on bike but don't like the idea of running high beam only? if this is the way all modulators work.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think all the plug-n-play versions will be set for high beams. You might find one to have options, but I'm not sure of one.

Other option would be to change your driving lightbar wiring; maybe you could add a switch to make it work with high/low/off.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks this is what I thought I might have to do,will do more looking into options and what's available maybe some manufacture has one don't know i have time and will try to find out

·
Registered
150 Posts
do all the headlight modulators use high beam to modulate or does someone make one thats uses low beam . see i have light bar and like the bar on all the time with low beams on more visable. would like to put modulator on bike but don't like the idea of running high beam only? if this is the way all modulators work.
When I put my light bar on I used a jumper wire in the headlight assy that leaves the light bar on, on either low or high beam. I can't remember just where the jumper goes but I think the inst. to the light bar had directions. My lightbar was Hondaline

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to look for paper work my light bar is hondaline also thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
They modulate high which is the only way it can work.

You legally could not modulate a low beam and if you did the filament would not last.

The plug and play version connects at the headlight bulb socket and I assume that your lightbar taps the circuit before that point so it should not be effected and if you hardwire a modulator make sure it ties in after the lightbar.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all the modulators I find for motorcycles say they modulate high beam curcuit from 100% to 17% and back none state high beam then low beam for modulation? and these are the plug and play :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
all the modulators I find for motorcycles say they modulate high beam curcuit from 100% to 17% and back none state high beam then low beam for modulation? and these are the plug and play :dontknow:
That is correct - I went back and checked the schematic.

I was making it a lot more complicated than it is.

I have the SDC Diamond-Star

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The one I bought at www.headlightmodulator.com came with instructions for installation. It ALSO stated that you COULD modify it by swapping some wires in the harness that plugs in, but they don't recommend it and I believe it voids any warranty as well.

If you want the driving lights to be modulated, why not just run a wire from them to the modulator then? It should be a simple thing to do, but then again, I'm no electrician and could be way off base here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts