Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 VTX 1300S. 29k miles
This summer while on a road trip. I had the Honda OEM plug and play light bar on and blew the fuse.
In the Honda plug and play wiring it is hooked up to the fuse for the tail light and metering. I thought is was bad wiring in the light bar (grounded).

In reading on this forum , that the light bar originally had a 7.5 amp fuse in the headlight. Mine had been replaced with a 10 amp. so it was the same size as the one in the fusepanel.

I rewired it this week and it still blew the fuse. The bulb was doing it.

In order to not lose tail and metering, I have rewired the light bar like the diagram on other posts show. Now if it blows it will not take out my other lights and functions and I only lose the running lights.

Also noticed that the running lights did NOT turn off while starting the motor. So I changed that also when rewiring. Now running lights turn off when cranking engine like the headlight does.
I also changed it to run with high and low beam, eliminating the Stock Honda relay.
I put all of my add on farkles on one fuse panel the Bussmann one in another thread. I put all my relays and farkle black boxes in the tool box. (carry tools in saddlebag anyway).

I soldered all splice ins from stock wiring with a pig tail so i could still disconnect add-ons. I also put all wires in flexible tubing to look neater and beter protection.
Intallation is now real neat and i don't have to worry with taking out taillight and meters with the running lights.

I also ran ground wires back to one location (brighter lights)
My battery now has only one extra wire for + and - terminal.

Extras on new fuse block.
Running lights
power outlet /cig lighter
trailer light converter
j&m CB with radio
float charger/ Jumper cable
Free fuse place (future GPS ????)

Hope this helps someone down the road so the aren't left in the dark 800 miles from home like me working on the side of the road.

MaxB

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
MaxBruce -

Way to go !!! It sounds like you were able to take your time and make everything nice, neat and highly serviceable for future work or add-ons. That's the way it should always be done. Keep up the good work. :congrats:

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
MaxBruce -

Way to go !!! It sounds like you were able to take your time and make everything nice, neat and highly serviceable for future work or add-ons. That's the way it should always be done. Keep up the good work. :congrats:
+1,, work like that sure makes it nice for the next owner if there is one ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts