Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I’m scheduled for the stress test (treadmill) next Tues. problem is Ive got a bad knee at the moment...thinking about doing the chemical stress test ..anybody done the chemical...from reading results are pretty much the same...trying to get ready for summer and want to get the heart thing done so I can move on to ortho for the knee...many thanks for any intel...

·
Registered
26,569 Posts
I had to do the chemical test. My lungs are shot, so I couldn't do the treadmill.
My Cardiologist performed the test in his office, (He specializes in Nuclear Medicine).
His assistant was standing by with the "Antidote" if things got out of hand.

It was kinda strange. My heart is going full bore, but I'm not doing anything.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Sorry you need to have this done..

Wife had the tread mill type done.. even with her bad knees...
meniscus and acl repair 6 months before test.

test ended good... some knee pain... the skipping heart beat is part of her.. not a health issue.

site was DOWN for about half hour.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I'm having it done next Wed. Prepare for a couple hrs. in the office. I had it before, and it's a chemical that my company used to make and ship to hospitals and cardiac clinics when I was working. It passes out of your system easily. But it does make your metabolism & heart rate speed up just like the ol' treadmill. No worries.

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies....as usual u folks stepped up... (y)

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
Good luck on your test.
I did the treadmill 2-3 years ago. Nice colorful pictures. A small amount of valve leakage.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I have a good-looking fiery redhead, Pam Geary. Speeds up my 'metabolism' ahead of the actual test, lol. I would think that could throw off the actual results of the test, heheheh.

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hans....So you had a valve job??.....sorry someone had to ask. LOL
Knowing Hans from on here...I would be willing to bet he fixed it himself....

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
TennX,

Go with the chemical test if you have the choice. I had the treadmill test several years ago, and it just about destroyed my legs. (3 knee ops, 1 on right, 2 on left). Plus, my thigh muscles gave out in the last 30 seconds of the test, and the nurse kept yelling at me to 'keep going', 'keep going'...and then, once the treadmill stopped, I had to flop onto the gurney and roll to my side, all in one swooping move. THAT didn't go so well, due to me being so exhausted from the 5 minute treadmill fiasco. They wanted my heart rate maintained at 150, but all I could give them was 130.

After all that crap, the cardiologist, who was a complete dickhead anyway, said there "might" be something going on, on the back right ventricle, but he couldn't be conclusive. It was a complete waste of my time and energy. I changed cardiologist's and got a second opinion. He said the simplest thing to do was to just do the heart cath to check for blockage. Anyway...if you have a bad knee, I highly recommend you DON'T do the treadmill.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
When I had my TKR a year ago, at the beginning of therapy, midway, and near the end, they gave me a 20-some questionaire to 'self-evaluate' my recovery. The last 4 questions had to do with running, and rate the recovery from 0 to 5. I posted a zero for all 4 questions, all 3 times, and after the last question, I wrote that I don't run (jog) if my ASS was on fire. Therefore, no to a treadmill. FWIW, 20 years ago next month, my late (physically fit, watched what she ate) sister-in-law , was found dead next to her treadmill. She had some 'minor' heart issues, of which her PCP was aware, but the PCP thought nothing of. She, her Mother, Father, and Aunt were all under this quack's care when they all died, at various times. Had they had a more-conscientous medical overseer, they may have lived how much longer? I really have to wonder.

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all under this quack's care when they all died, at various times. Had they had a more-conscientous medical overseer, they may have lived how much longer? I really have to wonder.
Sorry for your loss...and forgive me but I dont trust any of my Drs. And I got a bunch...for me they tend to be a necessary EVIL.. at 72 I’m late to practicing Self-Care....thanks again

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Sorry for your loss...and forgive me but I dont trust any of my Drs. And I got a bunch...for me they tend to be a necessary EVIL.. at 72 I’m late to practicing Self-Care....thanks again
I have never put trust in Doctors.. my one family doctor was my friend.. and he knew.. I question everything.. and can research things to all ends ..

but I am not a health nut.. No exercise . I just keep my weight near 250.. for my Back issues...
Beef Rare... Steak extra Rare.... potato's with lots of butter.. a few vegetables
gallons of "D" milk.. a week...
BREAD with real butter.

68 and still Trucking.. still can lift 100 pounds over my head.
did just that yesterday... remove a ac unit from behind a shed.. type that sits on a concrete pad.
lift onto roof of shed.. slide it across roof... and lower it on the other side.
did the same thing last week.. setup the new one... and remove the old one..
just 2 of us.. me 68, him 55... and I can lift more then he can.

·
Registered
26,569 Posts
I do like & trust my Doctors. That being said, I also realize they don't know everything.
I'm also very involved with my treatment, ask questions & research.

Also, I've no problem asking for a 2nd opinion, which worked out well recently.
I have 1 bad eye. Back when I was a kid they called it Lazy Eye. I was supposed to wear glasses,
(I didn't), also a patch over my good eye (Didn't do that either).

I wear glasses now. When I went to get my eyes checked, I was told I need my eye lens replaced, due to the fact that I couldn't read the line on the eye chart, & if I didn't have the operation, she'd have to report me to motor vehicle dpt.

Now, I was very concerned. I'm blind in my left eye, & if the surgery didn't go right, I'd be blind, period.

Mad an appt at a different practice, told them the story & told them I wanted a 2nd opinion.

Bottom line, (No pun intended), I read 2 lines smaller than what the DMV required.
So, either she was scamming me, or she's incompetent!
I reported her & that practice to the State Health Dept.

When you come down to it, we are responsible for our health.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, you bunch of old buggers. Do you realise the young of today pay big money over time to get meth etc to get their heart racing and you guys are doing it for free probably. Im almost scared to admit at 63 I am doing 2.5 miles most mornings before breakfast on my own treadmill @ 4mph. (fast walk for these little legs) Takes about 40 mins. Having been married for 36 years it is now the only chance I get to hear myself heavy breath. Look after your health mates, as I would hate to lose a single one of ya,s

1 - 20 of 43 Posts