Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Cobra Dragsters on my 1800C. The problem is that the rear pipe burns the S**t out of the inside of my leg. There are heat shields on the pipes but they don't work that great IMO. What I need is an additional heat shield about 12" long for the aft pipe right where it comes out of the jug. Cobra doesn't make one specific for that problem area. I'm thinking about improvising and using a heat shield from a Suzuki Boulevard that looks like it might work. So my question is: has anyone else addressed this problem and if so how did you solve it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe if you can seperate the pipe and heat shield you could try to wrap the top with Header tape ... that way it looks like your normal set of pipes and it disipates the heat a little better.... plus the stuff is fairly inexpensive...

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's prolly a better idea and a simpler fix. Thanx :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'v used the heat tape to try and keep the heat from warping the plastic side panel. It seems to have worked but I still ended up making a small stainless steel heat shield that I installed between the side panel and the pipe. Now the problem is gone. Having done this I concluded that the heat to the outer heat shield is still enough of a danger to burn one's leg quite easily. My thought would be to put shims between the existing heat shield stand-offs and the taped pipes to gain more of an air gap. The clamps should be long enough to accept the larger diameter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts